Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Dash Disassembly/Reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
scorchedman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Disassembly/Reassembly

Can anyone help me with finding instructions for disassembling a 2004 Cooper S dash and reassembling? I've got a rattle in the dash and need to get it sorted. I used to build car audio systems so I'm experienced with taking interiors apart which is why I want to know as much as possible before attempting this so I don't accidentally break a clip or the like.

I've been told that the Bentley shop manual is better than the Hayes but does anyone know if it contains information or instruction on interior panel and dash removal and installation?

I also have an intermittent buzz in a rear interior panel which I'd like to remove and add some sound deadening material to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 AM
scorchedman
Neutral
I see other relevant posts now

I'm going through the older posts about this topic and am finding some good information. Anyone with additional info I'll accept and thank you in advance for your time.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Bentley manual has interiors, including the dash.

Does the rattle that you have sound like a marble in a jar or something similar? Does it stop when you press in the center close to the air vent behind the speedo? This rattle is common and can be stopped by using a strip of 1" square foam insulation tubing. It is some kind of window air conditioning insulation. Anyway, you stuff this between the windshield and the dash plastic, all the way across - trim to fit. This should fix it. It has kept mine fixed for ages.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:48 PM
scorchedman
Neutral
Dash

nabeshin,

Yes that is a pretty accurate description of the sound, a marble in a jar is pretty accurate indeed. It is terribly irritating and for better or worse it's nice to hear that it isn't only me who has experienced this.

Excellent advice, I'll be doing a combination of fixes here including adding in some cloth tape to the various bits to eliminate possibly plastic on plastic rubbing and squeaking. While I'm at it I think I'll put in an iPod connector since the dash will be apart.

Thank you all who have responded.