Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Opinions: Boot Box vs Boot net

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 05:09 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking to buy something to secure the stuff in my boot. Would owners of the boot box and the boot net please give me your opinions, please? I have variations of the net in my other cars, and generally like them, but don't know how big the net is for the MINI.
How much stuff cam I secure with the net? Would it fit over a small suitcase?
Is it true that the bootbox will block the AC vent in the boot?
Any opinions or alternatives are welcome (anyone recommend the OEM or aftermarket-Moss- saddlebag?)

Thanks, folks.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:20 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have the cargo net and LOVE it. It's quite stretchy, attaches via 4 hooks into pre-existing metal anchors, and holds things of all sorts of shapes, keeping them from rolling around. Haven't tried the boot box, but due to it's configuration, I felt it was less flexible for my particular needs.

Hope that helps.

Clo/Wanda

Old 12-01-2003, 05:25 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Thanks, Clo. It helps :smile:

Old 12-01-2003, 05:31 PM
ecl3x
3rd Gear
i preferred the boot box. i don't have one in the mini yet. i do have one on my chrysler minivan and it works great. it keeps all the grocery tidy. from the pic of the mini boot box, i say it looks alot like mine except mine is probably a little bigger. when not in use, it folds flat just like the mini's.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:38 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
I think it depends on what you will be using it for. If you plan on large, bulky items like a suitcase, the net may be better. I have the bootbox, and I am very happy with it. I can carry smaller items (gloves, ice scraper, etc)without them rolling around, plus detailing items for the car without the bottles tipping over. I also can place bags of groceries in the compartments with no spills!

Old 12-01-2003, 09:11 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I have the boot net and use it to hold things down. A small bag might fit easily but not something too large. For other things you can place a small box into the boot and that will hold whatever else doesn't fit in the net. I have a subwoofer in the boot and kept the net by hooking it into nearby clips on the back of the rear seat and the back area of the boot. If I had the boot box it would not fit after the subwoofer was added.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:37 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
MINIHUNE, nice pic. How stretchy do you think that net is? It doesn't look too big, but maybe I can use my CRV net if I need to hold bigger items :smile:

Old 12-02-2003, 10:50 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>MINIHUNE, nice pic. How stretchy do you think that net is? It doesn't look too big, but maybe I can use my CRV net if I need to hold bigger items :smile:
Give me the dimensions of what you want to put under the net.
I tried three basketballs, or one overturned 12 quart pail and two basket *****, or one 5 gallon gasoline container and one basketball-in all cases they were easy to fit under the net. I think 3 or four 12 packs of Pepsi would fit. Typically I put loose things under the net and heavy or bulky stuff right in the boot. Anything that might come loose or roll around is good for under the net. The boot section is covered from anything coming up over the rear seat.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:19 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
I think your examples fit the dimensions I was thinking of. Usually soccer ***** and a kit bag; or a couple of large grocery bags. My navigator is obsessed with things flying around and hitting her in the noggin, so she makes me put the roll-on carryon bag we use for weekend travel under the net in my CRV. Would not use the MINI net for that, since it will fit flush in the boot! But it appears to be able to hold my other necessities as needed :smile:
Thanks

Old 12-02-2003, 12:25 PM
8ball
6th Gear
... the Net works great for larger items like propane bar-b-que tanks - a full one fits undet the net and won't tip even through the twisties on the way home from the filling station.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:31 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I be a Net Man Too!

He Shoots........He Scores......Swish!

Old 12-02-2003, 01:59 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use a large beach towel and roll it and shape it to hold whatever
im carrying from sliding around in the boot. :smile: works great and i can use
it for many other things other than just to hold stuff in place. i have a
cigarette lighter airpump in the boot, but never has it slid out of where i
put it with the towel even during some spritited runs back to back.

you never know when you need a towel to cover up the rear bumper when
loading stuff... or a towel to cusion the boot area so it doesn't scratch, etc.

if it was between a net and a box, id go for the net because it can hold
many different shaped things.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
I have both the net and the bootbox. I waited for more than 1 year for my MINI. In order to get my MINI "fix", I bought accessories for it every now and then during the long wait. Not knowing the net and the boot box are not quite compatible with each other, I ended up with both.

Anyone interested in buying my net!? It is practically still brand new.

The boot box does restrict the air outlets. I stuffed two rags between the boot box and the rear panel to create some space. I leave my boot box in the "up" position almost all the time. It keeps most stuff stationary (for example, grocery bags) My bowling bag fits perfectly in one of the compartments. It works for me. I installed the net, and realized that most of the stuff I carry will have to go "over" the net, making the net pretty much useless to me. Furthermore, I still have to buy the rubber tray if I use the net, whereas the bootbox acts as a tray. The bootbox simply works better for me than the net.

If anyone wants to buy my net, pm me.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:35 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Katana:
I PM'ed you regarding the net.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:00 AM
MINI_Dreamer
3rd Gear
Although this thread is a bit old, thanks for starting it RaiderZA! I'm going to go with the boot box -- I am obsessed with cleaning cars and would love to keep my detailing stuff with me at all times! Thus, the box it is for me!! :smile: Perhaps I'll order that sooner rather than later, like Katana =)

Old 03-30-2004, 11:27 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I have always had the boot box and it hold six packs of beer bottles perfectly.......

Old 03-30-2004, 11:33 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
[quote]I have always had the boot box and it hold six packs of beer bottles perfectly....... :smile:

Old 03-30-2004, 01:02 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I keep a sports bag behind the rear seats. Very versitile,
holds what ever I put back there, collects any small scraps
that accumulate, doesn't cost much and if I need a bag to
carry purchases or whatever, I've got one. (My 2c)

Godspeed.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 PM
gomezmgg
3rd Gear
Check out Griots Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) the have a very nice universal boot bag that fits in the MINI hold gobs of stuff and zips shut at the top. Their care care products are great too...................mgg

Old 04-14-2004, 10:44 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
I got the boot box, but generally don't carry the types of things in the boot for which it would be helpful. I usually have a carry-on sized piece of luggage back there. So it just lays flat and I haven't used it.

If anyone is interested I'll let it go for a nice price and ship it to you. It's in very good condition, like new.

If you're interested, I can refer you to my eBay account and you can see my feedback.

>>Although this thread is a bit old, thanks for starting it RaiderZA! I'm going to go with the boot box -- I am obsessed with cleaning cars and would love to keep my detailing stuff with me at all times! Thus, the box it is for me!! :smile: Perhaps I'll order that sooner rather than later, like Katana =)

Old 04-15-2004, 01:11 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
I tried adapting a generic cargo net from Harbor Freight for the MINI boot but decided it was going to be too unwieldy to use on a regular basis. I didn't actually go through with it but my plan was to simply cut the large net down to the right size (it was a knotted net).

I found that two appropriately sized criss-crossed bungees are a lot easier to use to hold down the majority of stuff I lug around.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:23 AM
masher
2nd Gear
I was in a REI store in the bicycle section, for about $8.00 each I bought two black with 4 grey hooks, stretchy nets that are used for the back of a bike's rack. Each is about one foot square. When partially overlapped and hooked together they hold down smaller stuff. but can hold big stuff if overapped less and still hooked together. Sorry I don't remember the exact brand, but you get the idea. Cheap flexible nad works great

Jeff

Old 04-15-2004, 06:43 PM
mini-pin
1st Gear
I like the boot box. I usually turn mine over so that it's level with the back seats when they're down. That way my dog won't be falling all over the place!

Old 04-15-2004, 07:00 PM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
i'm a box man.I have it in my MCS