Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Power Windows Again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010 | 09:05 AM
JRhea
|
3rd Gear
Power Windows Again!!!

A few tips to help trouble shoot and resolve Power Window Issues:

First: Nothing happens when the window switch is pushed. No click in the door, no window motion, nothing? First with the key "on" hold the switch up for 10 seconds. This supposedly acts as a reset. I have not confirmed this however. Also check the fuses.

Second: Do you only hear a click in the door when you try to put the window up/down: If so try hitting the door with your fist right above the speaker. I just got my passenger window working this morning by doing just that. I found that suggestion on a MINI forum. I understand that this is a temporary solution to a common electrical contact problem. If it happens more often I'll remove the regulator assemble to study the electrical points of contact. I'll post anything of interest regarding that.

Third: Does the window try to move but it seems stuck? Remove the interior door panel and take a mirror and light (I used a digital camera) to see if you can see the condition of the regulator cables that pull the window up and down. Instead of a mirror, I stuck my digital camera up inside my driver side door and snapped a lot of pictures and was able to see the frayed cable that was jamming the window. If the cable is frayed, you'll need to buy a new regulator assembly. They are about $185.00. Not too bad to install. Search the forums here or go to the web, there is a post that gives very detailed instructions on replacing. You'll need the instructions to properly align and adjust the regulator. I followed the instructions and in about two hours it was done and worked like new. Be careful not to scratch your paint when removing the side mirror. My wrench slipped and left a deep scratch.

Hope this info helps someone. Good luck

Old 07-03-2010 | 09:18 AM
CRoth
4th Gear
I had the second issue happen to me the first week I had my car. That's how I found these forums. I fixed it by doing the fist bump above the speaker while I was holding the toggle down. Sure enough after the third try the window rolled down and has been perfect ever since.

I probably just jinxed myself, uh oh! LOL

Chad

Old 07-03-2010 | 01:59 PM
zeus7625
3rd Gear
From: So far south in AL, one more step and I'm swimming (in oil)
Originally Posted by CRoth
I had the second issue happen to me the first week I had my car. That's how I found these forums. I fixed it by doing the fist bump above the speaker while I was holding the toggle down.
AKA "The Fonzie Fix"

Worked for me too.