Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior In Search of Fork Mount Bike Rack - PN 82 72 0 301 584

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:38 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Search of Fork Mount Bike Rack - PN 82 72 0 301 584

I have exhausted every source I know and am looking to my fellow Motorers for advice and suggestions.

My local Illinois dealers, (Patrick, Knauz, and Jacobs) all have said the same thing. The product is discontinued and unavailable. MINIUSA...ditto. I have looked up the item with vendors from eBay, Amazon, and NAM with the same result. I googled the part number: 82 72 0 301 584 and found a used one on Craigslist-Colorado Springs, but I would rather not deal with the pitfalls of that website and prefer getting a new one. I even went to REI. From them I found out that it is a late model Thule product named either Echelon or Peleton.
The last thing I have yet to try is contacting Thule directly to see if they have any available for direct purchase. I plan to call them tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Why are you looking for the OEM bike rack? The OEM fork mount one is a Thule re-branded one to the best of my knowledge. If you can find one (which is unlikely) you'll end up paying a premium for it.

I am assuming that you have factory rails and they have the channel in the middle. It looks like you have a R53 and my experience is with R56....

Search the forums here for bike rack threads.

For Thule racks, the Prologue, Peleton and Echelon all will work on a MINI. The only issue might be opening the rear hatch because of overhang. You can turn the rack around and have the bike mount in reverse but some people find that irritating.

If you want a fork-mount rack Rocky Mounts makes one that works as well that is less expensive. The TieRod should fit without issue and the Euro will work since you can install it into the slot.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 AM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jsargevt
Why are you looking for the OEM bike rack? The OEM fork mount one is a Thule re-branded one to the best of my knowledge. If you can find one (which is unlikely) you'll end up paying a premium for it.

I am assuming that you have factory rails and they have the channel in the middle. It looks like you have a R53 and my experience is with R56....

Search the forums here for bike rack threads.

For Thule racks, the Prologue, Peleton and Echelon all will work on a MINI. The only issue might be opening the rear hatch because of overhang. You can turn the rack around and have the bike mount in reverse but some people find that irritating.

If you want a fork-mount rack Rocky Mounts makes one that works as well that is less expensive. The TieRod should fit without issue and the Euro will work since you can install it into the slot.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply. Firstly, I was looking for the OEM part because I was not aware it was an unbranded Thule product. I am willing to pay the premium price because I like the product very much. It is of great quality, functions simply, and is easy to install and take off. I also am quite **** and would like to match the existing one I currently have. Hence I am trying not to consider any other products until I am convinced there are no other options.

Speaking of which, I just spoke to Thule (North America Consumer Service). I inquired if it were possible to purchase the product and adaptor/connection kit, made specifically for MINI, from them directly. Without making any promises, he offered to help and gave me an e-mail address to send pictures and installation manuals so that they can try and identify all the pieces. At the least, it is a step in the right direction.

Also, I am aware of the issue with the spoiler hitting the back of the tray. I have made a very simple mod to keep that from happening. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Thanks I'm good - I have the Thule Sidearm and am all set for racking.

In fact I'd recommend that bike rack wholeheartedly. I can put it on/take it off in 2 mins and can just toss the whole bike up there w/o wheel removal. Works well and is well-constructed.

Good luck with the retrofit. Thule is an outstanding company based on my experience and they will most likely get you setup.