Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Need help to black out or not thx in advance

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010 | 05:13 PM
u68423
|
3rd Gear
Need help to black out or not thx in advance

What do you guys and girls think the chrome or a black out with a kit ? For now I used Scotch 33t elect tape works quite well. FYI adding Carbon fiber viper stripes...... Let me know wife and friends with no taste ..

Attached Thumbnails Need help to black out or not thx in advance-img_0703.jpg   Need help to black out or not thx in advance-img_0704.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010 | 06:06 AM
u68423
|
3rd Gear
bump

Old 07-27-2010 | 10:57 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Do it

Old 07-27-2010 | 10:59 AM
SebZMonsteR
2nd Gear
I vote de-chrome But that's just me... what kind of kit are you talking about?

Old 07-27-2010 | 02:36 PM
u68423
|
3rd Gear
Electrical tape scotch 33 plus works great think I am doing it

Old 07-27-2010 | 03:54 PM
Professor
5th Gear
I think the chrome looks cleaner. Sick of everyone wanting to de-Mini their Mini.

Old 07-27-2010 | 04:08 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Chrome looks 100 times better on the silver paint. Nice classy accent highlights.

Old 07-27-2010 | 04:20 PM
Bavarias_Finest
2nd Gear
I don' think de-chroming your Mini takes away from the foundation of the car. I'm not a barracuda or women I don't like shiny things like chrome, must black out.

Old 07-27-2010 | 06:58 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
I think the black out belt line lowers the look of the car. It was one of my favorite mods. Then I got a can of plasti dip and the rest was history.

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:03 PM
SebZMonsteR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bavarias_Finest
I don' think de-chroming your Mini takes away from the foundation of the car. I'm not a barracuda or women I don't like shiny things like chrome, must black out.
umm... I'm a woman and I don't like chrome .....

Originally Posted by AggieMini11
I think the black out belt line lowers the look of the car. It was one of my favorite mods. Then I got a can of plasti dip and the rest was history.

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:08 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Ignore the haters who are "tired of blacked out MINIs." It's your car, you paid for it or are paying on it, so do what makes YOU happy. I respect the purist who keep the chrome tradition of the original Austin Seven alive. I would just assume us trend setters would get some respect as well. Anyway, I'm partial to black outs, so go for it!!!!

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:21 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Ignore the haters who are "tired of blacked out MINIs."
It makes you a hater to like the chrome? That word is really getting thrown around a lot these days....that doesn't even make any sense. All of a sudden "haters" just means people who don't share the same views as you?

I would just assume us trend setters would get some respect as well.
Putting electrical tape on your chrome is enough to label you as a trend setter? Huh? 1. The Murdered out look has been around for a long time and is nothing new 2. MINI owners have been blacking out their belt-line for a long time to the point that many vendors sell the kits. 3. Blacking out a MINI has to be one of the most common exterior mods on this site, probably just behind shorty antennas.

"Trend setter" implies that you're doing something new and impressive and that you're STARTING a new trend. Blacking out a car with vinyl, is hardly impressive or new. The "trend setter" credit for the "murdered out" look can go back to the old school hot rodders, rob dyrdek, rappers, etc.

I'm personally totally fine with blacking out some of the accents on the car depending on the color and style. I just feel that on an all PS MINI with a chrome line exterior, the chrome serves as a great highlight to accentuate the lines of the car. If you were to do the usual NAM black out routine, he'd end up with black door handles, black headlight rings, and black gas cap. Giant black distractions right in the middle of the beautiful silver body panels. The chrome on the other hand is of a similar color pallete of the PS and does well to act as a highlight without standing out like the black would. On some cars it works, on others the black just serves as a means of making random parts stand out and detract from the overall look of the car.

It just seems these days that people black out their chrome on their MINI's because that's what the masses have told them to do. They're told that "chrome is yucky" and that it must be plasti-dipped at all costs no matter what. Little thought is put into the aesthetic dynamics of the car and whether the black or chrome do a better job at accenting that owner's particular car and whether it's actually enhancing the look of the car.

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:50 PM
SebZMonsteR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
I'm personally totally fine with blacking out some of the accents on the car depending on the color and style. I just feel that on an all PS MINI with a chrome line exterior, the chrome serves as a great highlight to accentuate the lines of the car. If you were to do the usual NAM black out routine, he'd end up with black door handles, black headlight rings, and black gas cap. Giant black distractions right in the middle of the beautiful silver body panels. The chrome on the other hand is of a similar color pallete of the PS and does well to act as a highlight without standing out like the black would. On some cars it works, on others the black just serves as a means of making random parts stand out and detract from the overall look of the car.
The way you put it here I can totally understand and comply with you on this. But honestly it's in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not one for chrome, but I've always been that way. Honestly the BEST way IMHO for this guy to get a better grip of what looks better to him is to photoshop it or have someone do it for him. But very good and valid points (very well put as well)

It just seems these days that people black out their chrome on their MINI's because that's what the masses have told them to do. They're told that "chrome is yucky" and that it must be plasti-dipped at all costs no matter what. Little thought is put into the aesthetic dynamics of the car and whether the black or chrome do a better job at accenting that owner's particular car and whether it's actually enhancing the look of the car.
I have to say I don't agree with this 100%... I'm sure there's some people out there like this, but I am not one of them so I can't speak for them. I honestly don't like the look of chrome and never have. But like I said before... it's in the eye of the beholder

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:58 PM
SebZMonsteR
2nd Gear
a quick photoshop for the owner hope this helps

Old 07-27-2010 | 11:54 PM
Bavarias_Finest
2nd Gear
The masses in So. Cal and So. FL like their chrome!

Old 07-28-2010 | 07:47 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
It makes you a hater to like the chrome? That word is really getting thrown around a lot these days....that doesn't even make any sense. All of a sudden "haters" just means people who don't share the same views as you?

Putting electrical tape on your chrome is enough to label you as a trend setter? Huh? 1. The Murdered out look has been around for a long time and is nothing new 2. MINI owners have been blacking out their belt-line for a long time to the point that many vendors sell the kits. 3. Blacking out a MINI has to be one of the most common exterior mods on this site, probably just behind shorty antennas.

"Trend setter" implies that you're doing something new and impressive and that you're STARTING a new trend. Blacking out a car with vinyl, is hardly impressive or new. The "trend setter" credit for the "murdered out" look can go back to the old school hot rodders, rob dyrdek, rappers, etc.

So, since you just pretty much said everybody who does the black out beltlines cars look cheap because they use "electrical" tape, I guess it would be only fair for you to agree that because your car sits on bags, that it's a wannabe California low rider which went out in the nineties then? Yes, I threw the word hater out there, because quite frankly there is a lot of people who talk bad about the people who black out their cars. And you don't have to tell me blackout mods have been around. It's one of the reasons I decided to black mine out. I'd like to say that probably 90% of the people who blacked out their MINIs did it because it was the "cool" thing to do. I did it because I'm a very dark individual who has a taste for the macabre. My car reflects how I feel and quite frankly, even blacked out, it gets positive reviews. Like I said before, I respect people who keep the chrome on their MINIs and preserve the heritage of the original Mini. While everybody is entitled to their own opinion, please don't come in and try and "school" me on MINIs. I've been in this game for a longgggg time. Thank you!!

Old 07-28-2010 | 08:10 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
So, since you just pretty much said everybody who does the black out beltlines cars look cheap because they use "electrical" tape
I'm not sure I placed ANY normative value on the material used. I don't see the word "Cheap" anywhere in my post. I simply said it wasn't a NEW trend...which is true. Can you point out where I called it "cheap"?

I guess it would be only fair for you to agree that because your car sits on bags, that it's a wannabe California low rider which went out in the nineties then?
And yes, I love lowriders. If I could be considered among their ranks, I'd be humbled so thank you Not sure it ever "went out" considering how strong the lowrider/minitruck/euro scenes still are these days.

In terms of your analogy, it's a bit mislead. 99% of lowriders are on Hydraulics, not airbags. It would have been a bit more accurate to make the comparison to mini trucks.

Yes, I threw the word hater out there, because quite frankly there is a lot of people who talk bad about the people who black out their cars.
No one "talked bad" about anyone blacking out there cars. The only thing said was that he was personally tired of the overwhelming number of blacked out cars. It's not "hating" if someone doesn't happen to like the things you personally like.
please don't come in and try and "school" me on MINIs. I've been in this game for a longgggg time. Thank you!!
Hey, you're the one who implied that you were starting some NEW trend despite it being quite old. I was simply pointing out that it had been around for quite a while already.

Old 07-28-2010 | 12:08 PM
Act_04
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Professor
I think the chrome looks cleaner. Sick of everyone wanting to de-Mini their Mini.
*cough* hypocrite *cough*

Black the beltline for sure. It matches better with the trim.

EDIT:: actually, since your windows aren't tinted, I could go either way. Put it on, take it off, whatever. It's just tape and about 30 minutes of your time.

Last edited by Act_04; 07-28-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:19 PM
Act_04
4th Gear
It would have been a bit more accurate to make the comparison to mini trucks.
Technicality burn, NICE!

btw, I love the low-ride clubman. Its pic has the honor of being saved on my computer.

Old 07-28-2010 | 12:41 PM
dmagoun
1st Gear
The black out rocks and it's your car and choice. I never ask my wife she just rolls her eyes and sighs.

Old 07-28-2010 | 01:13 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
While everybody is entitled to their own opinion, please don't come in and try and "school" me on MINIs. I've been in this game for a longgggg time. Thank you!!
The classic "mine is bigger than yours" argument.

Rally is not exactly new to the community either, but what does how OG you are have to do with an opinion on aesthetics anyway? Blacking out is the most overdone & thoughtlessly done mod in the MINI community, IMO.

To the OP, consider going body color on items you may be looking to black out instead.

Old 07-28-2010 | 02:13 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
I'm not sure I placed ANY normative value on the material used. I don't see the word "Cheap" anywhere in my post. I simply said it wasn't a NEW trend...which is true. Can you point out where I called it "cheap"?
Ohhhh, I love this guy!!! You sure do get confused alot!!! No, you didn't technically post the word "cheap", but you didn't have to. The way you stated it was more than enough to indicate how you felt about "electrical tape" on MINIs. Electrical tape costs what, $.99 a roll?

And yes, I love lowriders. If I could be considered among their ranks, I'd be humbled so thank you Not sure it ever "went out" considering how strong the lowrider/minitruck/euro scenes still are these days.

In terms of your analogy, it's a bit mislead. 99% of lowriders are on Hydraulics, not airbags. It would have been a bit more accurate to make the comparison to mini trucks.
I'll agree with you on this. Although, where I'm at it doesn't matter if you're on bags or hydraulics, people still tend to think of you as a hooligan.

No one "talked bad" about anyone blacking out there cars. The only thing said was that he was personally tired of the overwhelming number of blacked out cars. It's not "hating" if someone doesn't happen to like the things you personally like.
Uhh, again, you're a little misleading. If someone says they're tired of all the blacked out MINIs, sure it's they're opinion, but don't think someone is not going to be offended.

Hey, you're the one who implied that you were starting some NEW trend despite it being quite old. I was simply pointing out that it had been around for quite a while already.
I never implied I was starting a trend. When I used the word trend setter I was merely talking more about going outside of the box. Don't you think outside of the box? Of course you do. You took a MINI stationwagon and bagged it. I know that blackout mods have been around for a long time. Again, that's why I did this in the first place. I like ratty looking hotrods. This current R53 is to hold me over until I retire in 6 years and can build my '55 Buick Special. I'll remember to clarify things better when talking to you. That was my bad!!
Don't you just love NAM people!!!

Old 07-28-2010 | 02:49 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Ohhhh, I love this guy!!! You sure do get confused alot!!! No, you didn't technically post the word "cheap", but you didn't have to. The way you stated it was more than enough to indicate how you felt about "electrical tape" on MINIs. Electrical tape costs what, $.99 a roll?
Again, I think you're just reading too deeply into what I said. I said and MEANT nothing about the value, price, or "cheapness" of the mod. Whether a mod is 99 cents or $500, if it looks good I'm all for it I just personally feel that, with his silver paint, chrome will look best.

Old 07-28-2010 | 03:34 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
The classic "mine is bigger than yours" argument.

Rally is not exactly new to the community either, but what does how OG you are have to do with an opinion on aesthetics anyway? Blacking out is the most overdone & thoughtlessly done mod in the MINI community, IMO.

To the OP, consider going body color on items you may be looking to black out instead.
What does being an OGbhave to do with it? Probably nothing different than you being an Internet Gangster. This didn't even concern you. I'd advise you to kind of butt out.

Old 07-28-2010 | 03:37 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
My apologies to the OP. Sometimes these things just happen, but anyway keep us posted on what you intend on doing. And of course, whatever you do we want to see some pictures. And remember, it's good to get opinions, but in the end do what you like. Goodluck!!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Need help to black out or not thx in advance