Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior v36 activate rear fogs automatically?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:31 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when I went in to get v36 upgrade, I requested my rear fogs be activated...
they charged me 30min labor for the rear fog activation...

just want to clarify--does v36 automatically activate the rear fogs (i didn't have the toggles installed yet, so it can be done ahead of time) or does it require a specific request?
I know it just takes a moment, with computer access, and don't mind if I was charged a routine cost, but if v36 comes already activated i'd feel a little taken advantage of...

anybody know? would like to know for sure before I give feedback...thanks!

Old 12-15-2003, 10:03 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
As far as I know, CD 35 or higher will allow a dealer to activate the rear fog lamp circuit, but it does not do so automatically. For instance, if you took the car in to have the DME updated to try to cure the stumbles, the tech would still have to navigate to a different sub-menu of the diagnostic program to update the body control module to recognize the new switch.

*** Soapbox rant ahead! ***

That said, .5 hours is the MINI USA published parts bulletin suggested labor time for the switch pack install, including fitting the switch and reprogramming the body control module. If that's what your dealer charged you to do it, you made out well. Mine charged 1 full hour, even though I had a copy of the parts bulletin and offered to produce it. Their rationale for this was that they always charge a "standard minimum time" of one full hour labor "for any operation that involves electronics, or connecting the car to the diagnostic computer." That was that- end of discussion, and non-negotiable.

The parts department manager, however, did agree to drop the price of the switch pack from the initially-quoted $131.00 to the bulletin-published MSRP of $75.00, after I told him that I had the bulletin.

I guess that the MA who delivered our new car did actually warn us about that "mandatory minimum" electronic system labor charge. He told us to be careful and to make sure we do not forget to tighten the fuel filler cap when we fill the tank, or it could cost us "around a hundred bucks" to have the Service Engine Soon lamp reset. 1 hour labor, @ $92.50/hr, plus tax, "shop supplies," and the other usual BS charges lumped on to the bottom of a customer-pay ticket would add up to about that- all for a tech spending 5 minutes to plug in a communications port connector and press a few keys.

*** Stepping off the Soapbox ***

The important thing, though, is that once have the update done, you can add the switch any time you want! I have seen an illustrated "how-to" posted for the install of the switch pack, but I cannot remeber which web site has it. You should be able to locate it with a quick search of the more popular MINI forums, should you decide to do the install yourself.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:24 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Indygomini,

thanks for the reply.

sounds like I got treated as fair as it gets. I went in to update the DME, and requested that the fogs were activated.

they updated the DME and truly cured my stumble (so far, I'm so happy) and they also activated my rear fogs.

I have since installed the switch panel myself, using instructions I found here, and am very happy with the results. I was charged the 0.5 hour rate, which sounds fair, as a minimum, for the computer activation, which I now realize is reasonable, as dealer service goes.

Thanks for your info--I can now complete my service questionaire accurately.
"Hear Hear" for your soapbox--at least your parts manager had the good sense to revise your price when you brought up the service manual bulletin. Its unfortunate that sometimes you have to be so darn (over) repared to get a fair shake.

I bought my retro fog kit (front and back) from Classic Mini in Mentor,Ohio, and they posted a very fair price of $159 for the whole thing. I'm seriously going to check with them whenever I need a part I can preorder--they were very fair, upfront, and you gotta APPRECIATE that kind of service. Cheers, Jenni