Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior red spray on tint for tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
red spray on tint for tail lights

I was wondering if anyone has tried this? If not I might just be the first.

It's a VW Golf in the example below. What I plan on doing is similar to this but even better suited for the chrome surrounded tail lights of a MINI. The method described in the forum involves spraying the amber portions of the plastic red (using Krylon transparent red spray paint and a clear clear coat). The sanding involved sounds like a lot of work for so little, but I'm all about the details. I plan on disassembling the tail light and redoing the inside amber plastic (and not the clear outside cover).

http://forums.generationdub.com/show...t=20691&page=1

I recently put red tint over my tail lights. It looks great especially when the light signals red instead of amber (I have the older 02-04 R53 tail lights with the amber circle in the middle, btw). The problem is that I am picky as hell, and I don't want anything on my car to look overly aftermarket. Only if you are a MINI owner should you realize that something is very different; that's the way I like it.

Applying the red tint to the outside got rid of the chrome surround. Although I could car less about chrome, it doesn't match the chrome surrounds of the headlights and the rest of the chrome accents on the car. It looks out of place, and noticeably "modified." The layman may not notice but any car enthusiast would easily recognize the red tint.

What I want to do is take apart the clear tail light housing and do the method of staining only the amber circle red. (I will be painting inside of the clear housing directly on the amber plastic) That way I get the look of factory lights with all the chrome showing. This will be so subtle yet extremely clean looking. A non-MINI owner would think they came like that. I've read the threads about taking the tail light housing apart and it seems a bit scary, but doable.

Why not get the tails with the clear turn signals? This is cheaper, seems like a fun DIY, and will be a one of a kind stock-ish look.

I also have some leftover red vinyl. I thought about saving time and using a circle of red vinyl to cover the amber part. Then I looked at the amber part itself and noticed there are all these tiny ribs in the surface. I'm not sure if the vinyl can be stretched to fill all the small creases of the turn signal. I just don't imagine the vinyl to be cooperative and that it would end up looking bad under close inspection.

What do you guys think? It's late, I'm working on lab research reports for school, and I'm on a bit of a caffeine high. Hopefully this isn't one of my grandiose ideas that seem impossible when sober.

If I get enough done during the week, I just might be able to try this as soon as this weekend.

The pictures below are from this VW forum I found on Google. They are pictures of the final result, the last one being a close up of the finished product. (it took several repetitions of sanding and painting to get plastic to match perfectly: wet sand, red paint, wet sand, clear coat, x3)

Attached Thumbnails red spray on tint for tail lights-1.jpg   red spray on tint for tail lights-2.jpg   red spray on tint for tail lights-3.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Looks good but how will it last?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM
djomlas
2nd Gear
i did that.
check out the pic. i hate chrome anything, so the trim around got sprayed too, actually too easy, once you crack them open spray the whole thing red, and i mean whole thing, red part, chrome, and orange circle. that way its all same color. looks great, and if u never seen stock tails you would think they came from factory like this. i was debating getting newer tails, but they have that clear part in there, and i dont like that.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by djomlas
i did that.
check out the pic. i hate chrome anything, so the trim around got sprayed too, actually too easy, once you crack them open spray the whole thing red, and i mean whole thing, red part, chrome, and orange circle. that way its all same color. looks great, and if u never seen stock tails you would think they came from factory like this. i was debating getting newer tails, but they have that clear part in there, and i dont like that.

damn that looks really good.

How long have you had it like that? I'm guessing you didn't wet sand it first to prep the surface and just sprayed the red paint directly on?

Did you spray it with it with a clear coat too? And what kind of paint did you use? From what I can tell it looks pretty clean as if it were stock.

I really like how that looks. Painting the inside and leaving the housing clear looks better than I imagined.

This is definitely on the todo list. I'm keeping the chrome on mine though.

Recently I put some red 3M tint over my tails. It looks good but it definitely looks "modified" to me. You're supposedly not gonna get a sticky residue if you take the tint off. I hope that's true.

Last edited by Jephen19; 09-04-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
djomlas
2nd Gear
its easy man, heat them up with a hairdrier for afew, and crack them open.
i then used Tamiya transparent candy apple red paint from hobby store, and sprayed the whole thing red, no primer or anything needed as they are closed in, so no rock chips will get to it or anything.
then just get some silicone and put them back the way they were.
whole process took maybe an hour.
i dont know why they just didnt make chrome optional, rather than assuming we all like our plastic pieces look chromed out.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Act_04
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great! Do you have a pic from further away of the whole rear?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 PM
djomlas
2nd Gear
Old 09-05-2010, 06:16 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your car is very well done. Very cool. I, for one, would love to see more pics of it!

Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
djomlas
2nd Gear
thanks man, i checked out some pics on your site as well, very nice car you got there.
heres a few more pics, i definitely need to go on a proper photoshoot, lately ive been lazy hehe

and 2 before the beltline, i keep going back and forth on it...all blacked out is getting a bit played out

Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Act_04
4th Gear
Very nice ride man. I think you can go either way with the beltine. I like both. Very tasteful on the blackout as well, I would definitely leave the handles etc.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by djomlas
i dont know why they just didnt make chrome optional, rather than assuming we all like our plastic pieces look chromed out.
If having the car blacked out vs. chromed were an option, I'm sure one of the two would have been an option they would make you pay money for. Why would they charge you extra for clear vs. amber turn signals? The things they get away with...

I agree. Both look great. I do like the bits that you did leave chrome like the side scuttles and the door handles. Someone has a good asthetic eye...

Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM
jayxx83
2nd Gear
Man that black mini is hot! You thought about red surround for your hood scoop ala works gp decal but in red instead of pure silver. Mirror caps may also look good in red.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 PM
djomlas
2nd Gear
thats for the suggestion, i got a CF hoodscoop, but hard to tell in the pics....mirror caps will be CF soon, as soon as i justify spending $ on something as useless as caps, specially since these replaced white ones

Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ummm. I hate to throw wrenches into blenders, But i think that your MINI is a beautiful one to get a belt line red-out. Just enough color to make it pop against the R53 emblem, painted calipers, and the the red text on the Superturismos.

BTW LOVE the Superturismos.

Just realize that's way off topic.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Act_04
4th Gear
Well, since we're modding your car for free and all...RED ROOF like the new JCW's will have!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
djomlas
2nd Gear
thanks guys, i do like some ideas.
with shiney red roof i think it might look like a santa lol, this way i can just look out for my car and say thats the one with snow still on it hehe.
but a satin-red roof with satin red mirrors might look sweet

Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 PM
vc1492a
2nd Gear
Djomlas, I am having trouble getting the tails cracked open even after heating them up extensively with a hair dryer. Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM
tonmilv
2nd Gear
Dechrome Tailights

I just did mine this weekend and it was very easy. thank you for instructions.

Last edited by tonmilv; 10-25-2011 at 01:47 PM.