Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Window Vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:28 PM
elbee
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any knowledge about window vents for the Mini? Being a smoker in it is a pain because the rain flows through the cracked window like Niagara Falls. I know they make them for cars with full doors, but since the Mini has half doors, I'm not sure how they would install or work properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2003, 03:33 PM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You smoke in your MINI?????

Old 12-28-2003, 05:24 PM
elbee
2nd Gear
I'm an extremely careful smoker. I do however find that it is difficult to smoke and drive the Mini. I'm usually tossing more than half away because I find a fun stretch of road and it requires both hands. Smoking only works on straight-aways. Nevertheless, when it is raining, the water flows right in. The sunroof open works well as long as I can stay over 40mph or so. I’m thinking of fabricating some sort of ‘gutter’ that runs up the side of the windshield and extends past the top-front corner of the door window. I’m scared it’s going to look hokey. Suggestions?

Old 12-28-2003, 05:58 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Yeah. Fix the real problem; quit smoking.

Also consider that tacking some kind of nonsense onto the car runs the potential of impacting its value just as the smoke smell that will forever be in the car will.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:28 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Jeez, I thought this was a car forum not a church! This person asked for advice not a sermon.

elbee: Moss Mini use to have a product in their catalog that may be of some help.
The product was one of those deflector like products that mounts around the window to allow you to open it slightly while driving and keep the wind and rain out. I cant find it in their current catalog or online but you could call/email them and ask:

http://www.mossmini.com

Hope that helps.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:56 PM
elbee
2nd Gear
Does it mount to the door somehow? I can't see that working because of the half doors. Does the door glass clear the deflector when opening the door? I've searched but found nothing.

Oh yeah, thanks for the defense against the rep from www.thetruth.com

Old 12-28-2003, 06:58 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>Jeez, I thought this was a car forum not a church! This person asked for advice not a sermon.
>>
Hardly a sermon, and I don't care about people's health. I was just addressing the actual problem, which is that someone is smoking in the car. If my MINI has an oil leak that drips oil onto the end of the header, do I
a) fabricate some kind of gutter and tack it to the bottom of the car to divert the leaking oil off to one side, or
b) fix the oil leak?

Anyway, those wind deflectors tend to look like hell, but they might keep the rain out.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:00 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
All the chain smoking Brits on MINI2 would probably get a kick out of this.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:15 PM
erikgil
2nd Gear
>>>>Jeez, I thought this was a car forum not a church! This person asked for advice not a sermon.
>>>>
>>Hardly a sermon, and I don't care about people's health. I was just addressing the actual problem, which is that someone is smoking in the car. If my MINI has an oil leak that drips oil onto the end of the header, do I
>>a) fabricate some kind of gutter and tack it to the bottom of the car to divert the leaking oil off to one side, or
>>b) fix the oil leak?
>>
>>Anyway, those wind deflectors tend to look like hell, but they might keep the rain out.

Is it your car? No.

Is anybody pee'ing in the car? No.

Me wonders how someone asking about smoking gets handed and answer about leaky headers.

So if the header is not peeing in the car, why bust this person about smoking in the car? <rhetorical>

I could be confused...

Old 12-28-2003, 07:28 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
No, it's not my car, I really don't care, and I wasn't "busting" anyone. I was just pointing out the most obvious solution to a problem.

Anyway, you provided an even better example. If someone is urinating in a MINI, should that person
a) fabricate some kind of gutter to divert some of the urine out the door sill or
b) stop urinating in the car?

Old 12-28-2003, 07:30 PM
erikgil
2nd Gear
>>No, it's not my car, I really don't care, and I wasn't "busting" anyone. I was just pointing out the most obvious solution to a problem.
>>
>>Anyway, you provided an even better example. If someone is urinating in a MINI, should that person
>>a) fabricate some kind of gutter to divert some of the urine out the door sill or
>>b) stop urinating in the car?

You have lost the sense of it.

Humor.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:47 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>>>No, it's not my car, I really don't care, and I wasn't "busting" anyone. I was just pointing out the most obvious solution to a problem.
>>>>
>>>>Anyway, you provided an even better example. If someone is urinating in a MINI, should that person
>>>>a) fabricate some kind of gutter to divert some of the urine out the door sill or
>>>>b) stop urinating in the car?
>>
>>You have lost the sense of it.
>>
>>Humor.

And to think that I attributed the lack of humor in this thread to smoker defensiveness.

Anyway, you can be right. Whatever. Smoke and urinate in your MINI to your heart's content.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:51 PM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
I never understood this. If you are smoking, why let out the smoke? Keep it in the car and use the ashtray. You'll get more smoke for your money. Besides, if you open your windows you are just giving smoke free people (like myself) something to gripe about.

MINIACK

Old 12-28-2003, 07:55 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
>>Does it mount to the door somehow? I can't see that working because of the half doors. Does the door glass clear the deflector when opening the door? I've searched but found nothing.
>>
>>Oh yeah, thanks for the defense against the rep from www.thetruth.com

I never saw the product in person, but have seen simular on other vehicles. They are ussually smoked (no pun intended) or body color and mount over the windows. I see them a lot on trucks. Here is an example:

http://us.st6.yimg.com/us.st7.yimg.c..._1771_16273887

Again, I am not sure how they mounted or functioned but I am sure you can contact Moss Mini since they did carry them at one point.

Hope that helps

Old 12-28-2003, 08:42 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Looks like Bavarian Autosports has a WeatherFlector product that suppose to fit the MINI as well. Might give them a try as well:

http://www.bavauto.com

Old 12-28-2003, 09:00 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Help, I'm falling !! off !! my chair. This one is almost as hilarious as the 'bumper nuts' thread a while back....

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 12-28-2003, 09:04 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do tend to get a kick out of these sorts of threads that suddenly veer off course and tumble down a cliff.

Old 12-29-2003, 10:16 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
When I shoot heroin in my MINI I like to have a breeze hitting my face and have the same problem with the rain coming in.

Old 12-29-2003, 10:25 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^^^^not in your shifting arm?

Old 12-29-2003, 10:26 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
I'm an extremely careful smoker. I do however find that it is difficult to smoke and drive the Mini. I'm usually tossing more than half away because I find a fun stretch of road and it requires both hands.
Smoke all you want but don't toss the butts out the window. Thats disgusting.

Old 12-29-2003, 10:45 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Automotive sage and chain smoker Gregor Grant used to say that the definition of a sports car was one in which he was entertained so much that he didn't want a cigarette while driving it. That said, why not open the sunroof a bit and let the smoke out that way; or get the weather-tech guards.

Old 12-29-2003, 04:56 PM
elbee
2nd Gear
>>Automotive sage and chain smoker Gregor Grant used to say that the definition of a sports car was one in which he was entertained so much that he didn't want a cigarette while driving it. That said, why not open the sunroof a bit and let the smoke out that way; or get the weather-tech guards.

The Weathertech guards only work on cars with full doors. The sunroof works as long as you're moving. I do find myself chewing more bubble gum while driving and smoking less. I think I can engineer something to do the trick; it'll only go on if it looks nice. I'm glad this thread entertained so many of you. Just one question: How did it go from smoking; which is dirty, to peeing in your car; which is downright offensive? If my fabrication goes well, I'll post a few pictures for your critiquing.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:26 PM
DOGHOUSE
2nd Gear
I would like to start off by first saying that I am a non-smoker. Now that that is out of the way I would like to point out that people who lecture others about not smoking are anoying. This is usually the same crowd that is anti-gun ,anti war,pro-government control of our personal lives. I won't let anyone smoke in my car or my house but I defend the right of someone to smoke in their car or house. It all comes down to individuals being responsible for their actions,if you smoke and get cancer dont ask me or the tobaco co. to pay for your choice to smoke.I have spent the last 2 years defending our freedom from terrorists and know at what cost freedom comes.Please don't try to take anyones freedom of choice away from them,just remind them that it is their choice and they will have to live with that choice later on. I would love to know how many of the anti-smoking crowd have a drink or two and get behind the wheel :evil:

Doghouse SGT MP US Army

Old 12-29-2003, 11:33 PM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
I agree with you all the way. Freedom of choice. I couldn't care less if someone wants to smoke their head off. But it's it my choice to look at butts on the ground and to smell the smoke while walking into a business. I will just continue to look strait ahead, hold my breath, and sit in the non-smoking section where the smoke is magicly stopped by a sign.

MINIACK

Old 01-04-2004, 10:34 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
The Weathertech guards only work on cars with full doors.
I've been looking into a wind deflector for some time now. The WeatherFlector does not have one to fit the MINI at this time. The MacNeil automotive group, which sells this brand, claims it is German designed and meets strict TUV (German) standards. I'm sold on the brand and will wait when they have it out. Hopefully by this summer.

Bavarian auto works site was too cumbersome to navigate and took too long for me to verify that they have a wind deflector for the MINI.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Window Vents