Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R56 aftermarket/projector/halo headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011 | 11:23 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Please don't thread jack. Please search for them.
woord.

so is there any updates on this? price? pics?

Old 09-26-2011 | 10:48 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
Old 09-27-2011 | 09:54 PM
Theamc
1st Gear
I saw a couple on ebay...
They came in black and chrome.

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:37 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
Spoke to JB at BlackFlameCustoms and the price to do the halos aren't all that bad (~$185). After looking at their site, I might also be tempted to replace OEM lens with their clear lenses while they have the light housing open...

Old 09-28-2011 | 08:04 AM
teebo7
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sunman
Spoke to JB at BlackFlameCustoms and the price to do the halos aren't all that bad (~$185). After looking at their site, I might also be tempted to replace OEM lens with their clear lenses while they have the light housing open...

ordering a complete set next friday with Halo's JB has been patient and willing to answer all my questions. Pricey? yes but if the jobs done right, i'm okay with it.

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:54 AM
SODA66
4th Gear
I myself would be interested in halos and the clear turn signal lens. If that is what the $185 cost is about I am interested. Please keep me posted. I want to change the amber lens out but having halos would really be great.

Old 09-28-2011 | 11:29 AM
savagedrifter112
Neutral
I picked up the fleabay set of projectors in chrome... they aren't half bad.. I will say I'm pleasntly surprised with the beam out put.. it does come with halogen projector though so we will see how they look with HID's in them.. I only plan on using the stock projectors with HID for a short time I plan on swapping the projector out with either the mini morimoto or the fx-r from theretrofitsource.com. I have looked at the inside of the housing and it looks like it will be a direct swap with the same 4 screw mounting locations. I will start my own write up thread when I get everything figured out here are some pics.

Name:  2011-09-26160559.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  2011-09-23205846.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  2011-09-23165839.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  2011-09-23163924.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  33.2 KB

Old 10-01-2011 | 10:49 AM
savagedrifter112
Neutral
I just picked up the fleabay projectors and I'm pretty happy with them. The output is much better than I thought it was going to be. The cutoff is decent but definitly could be better. The driver side seems to be a bit out of focus or something but I will see if I can fix that when I open it all up. The part I wasn't expecting was the mechanical shutter for high beams. I bought these housings to use them as base for a retro fit because I like the design of the housing in general, it doesn't have that look that screams ebay lol But now here are some pics

Just the passenger side projector

Name:  2011-09-29224324.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  18.3 KB

Both, you can see how the driver side is distorted.

Name:  2011-09-29224335.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  2011-09-26160559.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  2011-09-23205846.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  2011-09-23165839.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  2011-09-23163924.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  33.2 KB

Old 10-01-2011 | 12:48 PM
sunman
3rd Gear
Nice job...

Tekarbon finally got back to me and sent me some links to some YouTube videos of some of their work. Bit more than what BlackFlame Customs but they use a different light element for the halos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LGlol2zKgY

Old 11-22-2011 | 02:47 PM
07TurboMini
Neutral
headlights

Hello! I suppose I must say hello and that I'm new to these forums. At least in the posting side. I've trolled them for 6 months or so. I purchased these Halo headlights from Ebay as well. However I haven't had good luck with them. Maybe you can help. When I put my high beams on it causes the headlights to cut off. I can hear the motor tilting the bulb but the bulb goes off. If I pull and hold the high beams it will keep them on. Or if I pull the high beams to flash them then they go on or "up". Also the Halo is a couple of small LED's that are not singled off from the headlight bulb so you get Bleed Through in the halo and the LED dots around the turn signal.

I love the looks of these lights but for $300 I expected a little bit more. The high beams not working seems dangerous. I can just imagine loaning my car to a relative and them going to put the high beams on and then having a wreck because it blacks out and causes them to go off completely. I've requested to send them back. Any ideas where I can get a black headlight with out the projection lens? I only see them for the older Mini's where the headlight attached to the hood.

Thanks for all your help! Glad to be a part of your forum!

Old 12-28-2011 | 11:23 PM
conrad0102
2nd Gear
I know this thread is a lil old but here

http://www.specdtuning.com/07-mini-cooper.html

Old 01-23-2012 | 01:43 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
That mini with the angel eye lights is a sicccck and unique mod havent seen that before and makes the mini look bad ***. How much did the housing unit cost?

Old 04-15-2012 | 03:46 PM
bronchoboyuco
1st Gear
Pardon my noob-ness, just hoping one of you venerable veterans can help my understanding:

In about 4 weeks I'll have my 2012 MC with Xenons. I'd love to put a set of halos in there but I don't know if the products you all listed in the links would work for me. I'm certainly not interested in replacing my whole headlight or unit, just adding the halos. Can anyone offer a bit of guidance? Thanks much!

Last edited by bronchoboyuco; 04-15-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: *grammar/clarification
Old 05-20-2012 | 05:57 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
What seller did you guys pick these up from on eBay? I'd appreciate any help.

Old 06-14-2012 | 06:36 PM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
Any updates?

Sean

Old 06-17-2012 | 08:30 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Anyone else pickup a set? I saw the black housing ones on eBay but can't seem to find the standard chrome ones. I tried to contact that website on page 1 but they don't seem to like answering emails or something.

Old 10-06-2012 | 04:01 PM
Seang252
2nd Gear
I have a set but not sure if I hooked them up right, I'll take some pics and post

Old 10-06-2012 | 06:28 PM
Seang252
2nd Gear
installed aftermarket halos wrong, i think?

Heres what they look like after i hooked my up last night. For some reason they look dim at night, not sure what it is what ill have to mess with it.

I looked up how to install projector halos on youtube and i wired them this way,

"Red wire to white with blue line wire and black "ground" wire to yellow with green line wire"

Not sure if thats corrected!!! My choices from the car headlight harness were "brown wire, white with green line wire, yellow with green wire, brown wire and solid green wire" Pics below.

If anyone can tell me if its right or not and if its not right tell me what to change.

I also added some pics or how the lights look when its getting dark out "its been kinda grey here in tx" and how the halos look but they only come on when i flip the headlight/turn signal switch "forward" the blue headlight comes on "pic below" and the halos are on "pics below" So im not sure if thats right.

Attached Thumbnails R56 aftermarket/projector/halo headlights?-lights-first.jpg   R56 aftermarket/projector/halo headlights?-lights-1.jpg   R56 aftermarket/projector/halo headlights?-lights-2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2012 | 06:30 PM
Seang252
2nd Gear
Last 3 pics

Attached Thumbnails R56 aftermarket/projector/halo headlights?-lights-3.jpg   R56 aftermarket/projector/halo headlights?-lights-4.jpg   R56 aftermarket/projector/halo headlights?-lights-5.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012 | 02:03 PM
keduMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Seang252
Heres what they look like after i hooked my up last night. For some reason they look dim at night, not sure what it is what ill have to mess with it.
If you are referring to your halos looking dim at night (and imperceptible during the day) then that is the nature of the halo setup for these knockoffs lights.

The overexposure of your pictures makes the halos appear as if they are brilliantly lit, but in reality they are dim. From experience, the 3 mm LED bulbs that are used by default, while bright, do an ineffective job at lighting the ring evenly; thus, they are inherently dim. The lighting of the halo ring tube relies on "total internal reflection (TIR)," like fiber optics. The configuration for these not so perfect tubes, causes light to escape and not effectively reach the top part of the ring; thus, fading, more so at the top of the ring. Even replacing these LED bulbs with those of higher candela (luminosity) and proper resistor to correct the over-current did not eliminate the fade out at the top of the halo.

I looked up how to install projector halos on youtube and i wired them this way,
"Red wire to white with blue line wire and black "ground" wire to yellow with green line wire"
Not sure if thats corrected!!! My choices from the car headlight harness were "brown wire, white with green line wire, yellow with green wire, brown wire and solid green wire" Pics below.
Since LED bulbs (which your halos use) are uni-directional regarding DC flow, then you should use a volt meter to check the polarity of your input wires. White from the halo wires of headlight is (+), black (ground). Ensure that an inline resistor was not added to the white (+) lead, as this would certainly lower current and luminosity. If no resistor added, then your angel eyes will always illuminate less than desirable given the reliance on the TIR light path. Mount the 90 mm angel eye (AE90-NW105-COB:LED Angel Eye Headlight) behind the Light diffuser ring already in your headlight assembly. You will have to grind down the attachment tabs of the diffuser ring, then use fishing line (virtually invisible to me and I know its there) to tightly tie the ring to the diffuser. The angel eye presses firmly into place on the head light, but I used silicone to be sure it stayed (likely unnecessary though). Angel eyes are available at www.superbrightleds.com. The product listed above, illuminates brilliantly(!) and evenly around the ring during daylight and at night.

If anyone can tell me if its right or not and if its not right tell me what to change.
I also added some pics or how the lights look when its getting dark out "its been kinda grey here in tx" and how the halos look but they only come on when i flip the headlight/turn signal switch "forward" the blue headlight comes on "pic below" and the halos are on "pics below" So im not sure if thats right.
Tap into the parking light wires (brown (+); white (ground)) below bumper, not the high beam wires going to the headlight harness.

Old 10-09-2012 | 05:16 PM
Seang252
2nd Gear
@KeduMINI

Lol, how much for you to show me or can you do it lol if I buy everything I need?

Also I disconnected the wires I had going to the harness that goes straight to the headlight but for some reason turning on the brights I'm only getting the drivers side and not the passengers side and the "headlight icon" comes up after/during start up.

Last edited by Seang252; 10-09-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to put who the message was for
Old 10-09-2012 | 05:21 PM
Seang252
2nd Gear
Headlights

The pics of the headlights on "first 3" were taken at dusk and cloudy. But after kinda lining them up and not shinning in the trees lol they aren't so bad but like you said could be better!!!

Originally Posted by keduMINI
If you are referring to your halos looking dim at night (and imperceptible during the day) then that is the nature of the halo setup for these knockoffs lights.

The overexposure of your pictures makes the halos appear as if they are brilliantly lit, but in reality they are dim. From experience, the 3 mm LED bulbs that are used by default, while bright, do an ineffective job at lighting the ring evenly; thus, they are inherently dim. The lighting of the halo ring tube relies on "total internal reflection (TIR)," like fiber optics. The configuration for these not so perfect tubes, causes light to escape and not effectively reach the top part of the ring; thus, fading, more so at the top of the ring. Even replacing these LED bulbs with those of higher candela (luminosity) and proper resistor to correct the over-current did not eliminate the fade out at the top of the halo.

Since LED bulbs (which your halos use) are uni-directional regarding DC flow, then you should use a volt meter to check the polarity of your input wires. White from the halo wires of headlight is (+), black (ground). Ensure that an inline resistor was not added to the white (+) lead, as this would certainly lower current and luminosity. If no resistor added, then your angel eyes will always illuminate less than desirable given the reliance on the TIR light path. Mount the 90 mm angel eye (AE90-NW105-COB:LED Angel Eye Headlight) behind the Light diffuser ring already in your headlight assembly. You will have to grind down the attachment tabs of the diffuser ring, then use fishing line (virtually invisible to me and I know its there) to tightly tie the ring to the diffuser. The angel eye presses firmly into place on the head light, but I used silicone to be sure it stayed (likely unnecessary though). Angel eyes are available at www.superbrightleds.com. The product listed above, illuminates brilliantly(!) and evenly around the ring during daylight and at night.

Tap into the parking light wires (brown (+); white (ground)) below bumper, not the high beam wires going to the headlight harness.