Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear lights...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003 | 08:30 AM
Storer
5th Gear
So, letme get this straight... do these lights only come on as extra brake lights, or are they true rear fog lights, that come on when in reverse?

Old 05-28-2003 | 10:03 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
The are really the rear fog lights, but the are not wired to do anything in the americian spec of the MINI... for all (but one of us, that is), they now function as extra break lights, so the whole tail light assembly lights up when the breaks are applied. W/o the modification, only the lower lights light up which is not much to look at.

Rocketboy_X

Old 05-28-2003 | 10:21 AM
Storer
5th Gear
That's what I assumed, thanks

Old 07-09-2003 | 01:03 PM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
Bah-Bump!

Old 08-22-2003 | 12:10 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
(For Rocketboy)

**BOING**

Just got through reading this whole thing...DAMN that was long. Interesting reading, though. I think I'm going to go with the Sirron method...it just sounds the cleanest to me...

Old 08-22-2003 | 12:30 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
>>Just got through reading this whole thing...DAMN that was long. Interesting reading, though. I think I'm going to go with the Sirron method...it just sounds the cleanest to me...
>>
>>

Whatever method you choose, JUST DO IT!!!

I'll say it again: driving behind MINIs that haven't done the brake light mod, it's hard to see when the brakes engage (esp. Chili Red). This is a safety modification and will give those behind you fair warning that you're about to stop.

Cheers,
Kim

Old 08-23-2003 | 12:58 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
>>(For Rocketboy)
>>
>>**BOING**

Awww, shucks....

Rocketboy_X

(almost a year now with a paperclip, and no problems yet... )

Old 08-23-2003 | 08:55 AM
Chitown_COOP
Harmini,

You know...I had never really thought it was that cool of a mod from reading online; and truth be told, I really want to fill up the switch panel with the rear fog switch...

HOWEVER, I was following Dot-Scott to a Chicago MINI Club meeting last week and I noticed his tail lights blazing as he whipped his MCS around the corners. They really do stand out better, and I think that it's cool to have the two lights going with the blank in between them as well.

Gotta go buy two inches of wire now!

Old 08-23-2003 | 01:01 PM
spoonleg
6th Gear
HARMINI,

I see you have the white tail lights, no? What addition work/parts are neccessary to complete this mod? From what I've read I'm guessing there is an additional bulb that needs purchasing? Or can I just complete the mod as described?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2003 | 02:37 PM
rrypma
4th Gear
I'd rather do it like Ryephile had suggested. Instead of absolutely blinding those in the rear, you could do a best-of-both-worlds approach by having the bottom lights run at the normal 5W and continue to run at 5W when brakes are pressed, while the 21W uppers shine as brake lights. This way, there are still 5 lights when braking, only 3 of them are bright.

OR, have all 4 bulbs run as dual filaments 5/21 W bulbs and all 4 performing same function. I'd say the above idea seems a bit easier.

Old 08-23-2003 | 04:23 PM
Chitown_COOP
>>I'd rather do it like Ryephile had suggested. Instead of absolutely blinding those in the rear, you could do a best-of-both-worlds approach by having the bottom lights run at the normal 5W and continue to run at 5W when brakes are pressed, while the 21W uppers shine as brake lights. This way, there are still 5 lights when braking, only 3 of them are bright.
>>
>>OR, have all 4 bulbs run as dual filaments 5/21 W bulbs and all 4 performing same function. I'd say the above idea seems a bit easier.

Maybe I missed something in my rapid read-through of this thread, but now--suddenly--I'm confused. Two questions come to mind:

1) What, if anything, was this post in reference to? (You said you would "rather" do method X--what is the alternative, i.e. what you would rather NOT do?)

2) 5 lights when braking and 3 of them bright? I thought that there were only 2 fog lights...so where's the 3rd bright one coming from? The spoiler light?

Old 08-28-2003 | 01:06 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
Humm. I don't recall that post either... You could just wire up another set of the dual filament bulbs, but this would require a bit of work... You'd have to modify the socket to accept the bulb, as it has different studs than the bulb that's areadly in the top socket, and then you'd have to solder some extra wires directly to the bulb... and then you're starting to tip the scales into the too much work for too little result area... and to make it so only the rear fogs (and the 3rd light) light up would also require some non-reversable modifications and more work. either way, the blinding part of the extra lights is the extra lights themselves, so once again, it's really in the realm of too much work for too little reslut...

But Spoonleg.. the bulbs are already in the assembly. It's just a matter of getting a current to it when the breaks are applied. Depending on how you do it, you might need a paperclip, a splice jumper, or some extra wire... but just pop the assembly off, and you'll see if you have red bulbs or not...

Rocketboy_X

Old 08-29-2003 | 11:54 PM
spoonleg
6th Gear
Thanks dude

Old 08-30-2003 | 12:36 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Well, since this topic has resurrected again, which I'm sure the newbies appreciate, you can also purchase a kit that mini-rolls was offering.
$12 was a bargain to me since I didn't want to run to the store to get thisn' that..

With a little searching....Brake Light Mod Kit

:smile: