Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear lights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002 | 10:51 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
Has anyone else thought of wiring an extra break/running light into the top of the rear light assembly? It looks like there's something missing when the lights are on...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-04-2002 | 10:14 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Rocket,
Do a search on rear fog lamps. I remember reading a forum thread about how an engineer did what you're wanting. I think that the upper lamp on the rear lamp housing is the rear fog lamp which is not connected for US MINIs.

This engineer figured out a way to hook in the signal for the working brake lamp to also close the circuit on this unused fog lamp making them into additional brake lamps. I even think that the bulbs are already in the housing, just not hooked up. I'll post another reply if I find the thread.

Old 10-04-2002 | 10:26 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Here you go!

This is a link from MINI2 that details with pictures how to accomplish said lighting.

R

Old 10-04-2002 | 07:17 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Davbret:
Bingo! Thanks for pointing over to MINI2.

Old 10-05-2002 | 10:50 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
Thanks for the info.. I don't get over to MINI2, as I spend more then enuff time here.. :smile:

I'll have to put up some info myself here so MCO has the info too...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-08-2002 | 04:57 AM
wainair
3rd Gear
Cool! now I've got a small weekend project for this Thanksgiving weekend!!

Old 10-09-2002 | 02:11 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
I've got pics, but I just used the paperclip in the harness trick to do mine that way I can easily un-do it.... If Adelphia ever gets back to me about my webspace which i signed up for, i'll post em, so MCO has a set of directions... but if you just trace the giant traces yourself, it should be easy, no matter what method you choose...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-09-2002 | 04:15 AM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Dr. X- so you did the brakelight mod? I'm interested in seeing your how-to pics, as the diagrams don't do much for me. Ok, ok, I also don't happen to have my car yet, (it's landing in New York today!) but I plan on doing this mod right away. You should see if the Moderators will let you post pictures and a full description here as a "how-to" article. It seems to me that it's probably at least as functional and interesting a s a shift-boot cover, or a modified gas cap!
Looking forward to it.

Old 10-09-2002 | 09:25 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Guys,
I'm also interested in the easiest, most reversible method to tie my unused rear fog lamps into the brake lamp circuit. I got the day time running lights set and I want more brake lighting.

I want the other drivers to see me coming and going!

If there are good instructions and better photos out there, please post. They'd make a great How-To article.

Paper Clip?

Old 10-10-2002 | 01:17 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
>>Guys,
>>I'm also interested in the easiest, most reversible method to tie my unused rear fog lamps into the brake lamp circuit. I got the day time running lights set and I want more brake lighting.
>>
>>The other drivers should be me coming and going!
>>
>>If there are good instructions and better photos out there, please post. They'd make a great How-To article.
>>
>>Paper Clip?

Yep, ye olde paper clip and some electrical tape... when you remove the wire harness from the rear light assembly, just connect pins 1 and 5 together.. with a bent paperclip... if you actually look at the 'circutboard' that the light assembly consists of, it's no worse then sticking a paperclip in the harness.. (yes, it's that cheezy looking)..

And V... my pics aren't that good, (I did it at night, but I can always re-shoot), but there's probally only enough steps to fill a paragraph... and that's with using a lot of extra words.. :>.. but it is a cool Mini MINI mod for the non-technicial amongst us...

Rocketboy_X

***Correction: This should read Pin 4, not 5... 5 will leave the light on when ever the running lighs are on...

Old 10-10-2002 | 10:25 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Rocketboy,
I want to do this simple mod and the jumper between the connector pins seems really easy. However, a post over at MINI2 lists the two pins to connect as #1 and #4 (not #5).

I want to close the circuit on the unused rear fog lamp whenever I close the same for the brake lamps.

Can you please confirm that you connected #1 and #5.

Here is the post at MINI2 on the same topic:
MINI2 Rear Fog as Brake Lamp Jumper

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2002 | 10:51 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
Whoops, after looking at my pics again, it does look like #4... #5 will turn the light on whenever the running lights are on (which might not be a bad idea either...).. but if you look at the first set of directions, all you need to do is look to see what pins the 'circuts' connect to...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-10-2002 | 11:17 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Rocket,
Thanks. If you're sure about the pin being #4, could you edit your earlier post? I think others will find it as useful as I have. Also, what "first set of directions" are you refering to?

Thank you.

Old 10-10-2002 | 09:38 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Here's an idea....
As I've never done it.... I couldn't tell you how to go about it. But I've seen and talked with other people who have done this.

Make the upper (rear fog lights) brake lights connect to a switch (hmmm a toggle perhaps. ?) in the cab. This way if someone is riding a little close.... you can give them a nice little scare.
Happy motoring,
SW

Old 10-10-2002 | 11:06 PM
jwhcars
3rd Gear
>>Here's an idea....
>>As I've never done it.... I couldn't tell you how to go about it. But I've seen and talked with other people who have done this.
>>
>>Make the upper (rear fog lights) brake lights connect to a switch (hmmm a toggle perhaps. ?) in the cab. This way if someone is riding a little close.... you can give them a nice little scare.
>>Happy motoring,
>>SW

Good idea - i had a Volvo with rear fog lights and people DO back off when you turn them on beats tapping the brake

Old 10-11-2002 | 09:35 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
Kensmini... the 'first directions' are the ones pointed to up on MINI2.com... but I did an edit to my earlier post... but it's pretty easy to figure it out w/a little trial and error...

Hey, run a power lead from the rear 'power point'... of course, you'd probally need a new bulb every time you switch on... heh heh... or if you have daytime running lights, (i'm assuming they also give you the running light on the break light..) it would just be a matter of running wires...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-11-2002 | 09:41 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Rocket,
Thanks. I'll assume that the end of your last post is a joke. I don't want to be running leads that cause bulbs to burn out. I'll connect #1 and #4 and see if I get really bright brake lamps -- that's what I want.

Has this been working for you? No blown fuses?
Thanks again.
Ken

Old 10-12-2002 | 07:44 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Rocket and friends,
Well, I did it. Made the rear-fog-lamps-into-bright-brake-lamps modification! And maybe I've voided the warranty in someone's eyes after only 6 weeks...

I connected pins #1 and #4 in both the right and left tail lamp housings' snap connectors. Used double, 2 inch lengths of bell wire instead of paper clips. Taped 'em in and then snapped the connectors back in. Now they'll see me brake in Nevada! (I'm in SF).

Funniest part of the whole job was testing. Here I am in my open garage with a 12-foot bamboo pole, pressing the brake pedal from behind the Cooper, through the hatch. My neighbors think I'm totally eccentric! But then I just smile and let them touch Ringo. Took about 15 minutes, start to finish.

Thanks Rocket and all...

Old 10-12-2002 | 10:04 PM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
Ya, the last part was concerning putting it on a switch.. but to test mine I just removed the whole unit, folded down the seats and press the pedal while standing outside of my MINI...

But no problems, as there shouldn't be... and unless some other problem related to your MINI is traced back to the rear lights, you didn't void anything...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-13-2002 | 11:20 AM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Maybe someone could turn this project into a how to article? :???:

I saw my first MINI on the road the other day at night and it really looked like it was missing something with the rear fog light not lit up

I'm not mechanically competent at all. I still have a hard time believing you just used a paper clip. Is this a hard project to do?

Old 10-13-2002 | 11:15 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Lets:
Though I'm pretty handy with tools and things mechanical, this is a really easy project. Read over the whole thread and proceed with either 1) the jumper between the leads on the bulb holder; or 2) a jumper made with a paper clip on the wiring plug or; 3) using bell wire to jump pins #1 and #4 on the wiring plug.

It's easy.

Old 10-14-2002 | 12:19 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
>>I'm not mechanically competent at all. I still have a hard time believing you just used a paper clip. Is this a hard project to do?

Yep, it's easy to do, just take a look at the connector to the back of the lighting unit.. it's all pretty simple... hey Sfiveten or Mferguson, would you mind if i sent you the pics so you could put them up? Adelphia has been rather mum on if I have my webspace or not.. grrr...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-18-2002 | 04:05 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Geez, that WAS an easy install. Took all of 10 minutes, most of that was spent fishing for the harness clip (and shoving all the CDs I have hidden away in those little compartments so I could get the door back on when I was done, lol). Anyone know what the 6th spot on the harness does?

Old 10-18-2002 | 06:23 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I just installed the clear lens on my S and does it look funky w/o that upper light.
Now I need to find a red bulb! Anyone trying this you need a 10mm socket for the light assembly and a Torx 25 for the center brake light above. 10 minute job but looks sweet. I hope to post some pics on my site Monday.

Florida Mini Owners

Old 10-19-2002 | 12:58 AM
Rocketboy_X
|
6th Gear
>>Geez, that WAS an easy install. Took all of 10 minutes, most of that was spent fishing for the harness clip (and shoving all the CDs I have hidden away in those little compartments so I could get the door back on when I was done, lol). Anyone know what the 6th spot on the harness does?

Good question... my first guess was for the real power supply for the top bulb, but after I actually thought about it for half a second, that does not make sense... or the jumper would have to go into slot 6, as you're just stealing power from slot 1, and running it into the power for the top bulb... maybe they are thinking of making the top bulb operate like the lower bulb, so they need the two power leads...

ok, after lookin at my pic of the circut, i would say that's the case...

Rocketboy_X

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Rear lights...