Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior can this be removed from the headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011 | 09:50 PM
MyMiniGidget
2nd Gear
If we really wish to get technical, we could make the point that a xenon bulb is technically a halogen bulb considering that xenon is a halogen gas.

I have the pre-facelift xenons but I wish I could afford the post-facelift lamps just because they look better, not even because of the functionality.

Old 02-20-2011 | 10:08 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Yes, we could technically make that argument, but the part of the definition of Xenons that defines them as HIDs is not the gas used, but the fact that they perform by passing an electrical arc through an inert gas.

But we all know this already, I'm just being a stickler at this point.

Old 02-23-2011 | 02:56 PM
KC Jr 54
4th Gear
1) The outer most covering of the headlights on MINIs is PLASTIC, not glass.

2) The part of the lens in the red box in the OP, is GLASS, not plastic.

3) Early HIDs are still HIDs, regardless of anyones opinion. Fact is fact, and always out weights a particular opinion. If your opinion is different from fact, best just to keep it to yourself so that you dont come off as arrogant, or ignorant.

4) In side the headlight; if it is plastic and/or chrome covered, you can paint it. FYI to the early Headlights, if you want to take them apart, best to just cut them. You will NOT be able to pull them apart with the oven trick, or atleast come out on the other end with positive results.

Old 02-23-2011 | 03:21 PM
Rayanmx
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info KC Jr 54!!!

Originally Posted by KC Jr 54
3) Early HIDs are still HIDs, regardless of anyones opinion. Fact is fact, and always out weights a particular opinion. If your opinion is different from fact, best just to keep it to yourself so that you dont come off as arrogant, or ignorant.
As simple as that!!!

Old 02-23-2011 | 04:02 PM
KC Jr 54
4th Gear
WHEN the headlights were designed and engineered by people with more then "just opinions" on matters, these were/are "full HID systems." Did the HID evolve over the years ? They sure did, but that doesnt make the previous year lesser then what they were originally. Just the new ones are that much better. You proved that you were ignorant of what the MINI headlights really consisted of with your very FIRST post and now you are just back pedaling and trying to support your original statements in anyway possible. Statements that were in fact very WRONG.

Last edited by MLPearson79; 02-25-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Disrespectful comments removed. Let's keep it on topic, folks. Don't feed the trolls.
Old 02-23-2011 | 05:19 PM
hattenzoom
1st Gear
I have the old style HID's. So I guess I just can't pop off the clear plastic covers and clean the glass lenses. Correct?

Old 02-23-2011 | 05:29 PM
CLiVE
Coordinator::Calgary MINI Club
Well considering you have a grand total of 5 posts on this site and with all of them in this single thread, you are here for a single reason. "Your HIDS are not a "true HID system."
I agree the MINI 'HID' system was adequate and provided decent light output, but no it isn't by TODAYS definition a true HID system.

Last edited by MLPearson79; 02-25-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Disrespectful comments removed. Let's keep it on topic, folks.
Old 02-23-2011 | 06:10 PM
KC Jr 54
4th Gear
Well, in short, i am not wrong. I have fact on my side in this instance, in the form it says "HID" right on my head light. His whole basis for argument is his opinion and NOTHING else. Sorry, but like i stated before, Fact > opinion.

Last edited by MLPearson79; 02-25-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Disrespectful comments removed. Let's keep it on topic, folks.
Old 02-23-2011 | 07:01 PM
hattenzoom
1st Gear
So can anyone tell me if i can separate the polycarbonate cover to clean the glass lens of my HID's or am I just asking for trouble?

Old 02-23-2011 | 08:46 PM
CLiVE
Coordinator::Calgary MINI Club
Well, in short, i am not wrong. I have fact on my side in this instance, in the form it says "HID" right on my head light. His whole basis for argument is his opinion and NOTHING else. Sorry, but like i stated before, Fact > opinion.
Yes, as both he and I said (and several others) they were considered HID's back in the day, but headlight technology has evolved to the point where they are no longer considered a "true" HID system by today's standards. Can't believe you actually went out and inspected your headlight. lol

Last edited by MLPearson79; 02-25-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Disrespectful comments removed. Let's keep it on topic, folks.
Old 02-23-2011 | 10:17 PM
KC Jr 54
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hattenzoom
So can anyone tell me if i can separate the polycarbonate cover to clean the glass lens of my HID's or am I just asking for trouble?
My personally opinion would that it would be more hassle then it is worth. Depending on which style headlight you have, regulates the amount of work needed. At the least though, you are looking a couple of hours.

Old 02-23-2011 | 10:25 PM
KC Jr 54
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CLiVE
Yes, as both he and I said (and several others) they were considered HID's back in the day, but headlight technology has evolved to the point where they are no longer considered a "true" HID system by today's standards. Can't believe you actually went out and inspected your headlight. lol

I wasn't implying you were part of my issues with this site back in the day. You were just doing your part to uphold the attitude that I had issue with. No worries, but I haven't posted since 2008. Cheers and see you in another ~3 years.

They are still a TRUE HID system, with the only thing separating them being the fact they are w/o projectors. Projectors give you better performance, but only marginally and even then that does not take away from the fact the early headlights are indeed HID. I really do not understand why the TWO of you have such an issue with that. They were engineered and designed as HIDs, so who are you or anyone else to take that away ?

Sorry you assumed i went out and looked at my headlight, i did not. I have however spent a lot of time with those stupid things on my lap the two times i have painted the inner housings.

Last edited by MLPearson79; 02-25-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Disrespectful comments removed. Let's keep it on topic, folks.
Old 02-24-2011 | 12:09 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by hattenzoom
I have the old style HID's. So I guess I just can't pop off the clear plastic covers and clean the glass lenses. Correct?
The covers are sealed with glue. You'd have to use the same techniques to open up the headlight like for the "Joey mod".

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-halogen.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...od-how-to.html

Old 02-25-2011 | 09:21 AM
Rayanmx
2nd Gear
Not that I want to continue with the HID argument, but here's a close-up of one of my headlamps for those in doubt about the old HID.

(Yes, I did went out and took a picture just for this, so sue me!)

Sorry for the glare and reflections, but on the center of the grilled circle it clearly states "XENON Technology"

And even though today's projector Xenons are supposedly better, as long as my HIDs light up my way better than normal Halogen lamps I'm happy. I just want to change them to projectors because they look better and more up-to-date to today's standards as you said, not because they perform way better that those I currently have. (This is a fact too bu the way)

Cheers and happy Friday!
RayanMX

Attached Thumbnails can this be removed from the headlamp-img_20110219_160956.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011 | 10:08 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Just spent 30 mins cleaning up this thread.

Seriously guys, you can disagree without resorting to petty name-calling.

Let's keep it on topic.

Old 02-27-2011 | 01:03 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Jeesh, what's all the hub-bub about here ?

In keeping with a traditional look, MINI merely manufactured a set of headlights and combined them with modern technology.....

I had 1K kicking around and when it came time for a new set of HD's, instead of buying the newer style projector beam lenes I stayed with the older style and somewhat rarer look of what the car came with....

It's all a matter of preferance. They are both HID systems no matter how you slice it so lets just get back on topic shall we.

Old 02-27-2011 | 01:05 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Guess I should have gone to page 2 before posting. Thanks ML.