Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Group buy; PIAA 540 Mini Cooper light kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004 | 08:27 PM
speltzer
|
5th Gear
Hello fellow NAM members. I am trying to organize a group buy on some PIAA driving lights. These are quality driving lights similar to the one Mini offers, but much less expensive. Dan at Pilo racing will sell the "PIAA Mini Cooper 540 Driving Light w/bracket Kit" to us for $220 w/free shipping to the lower 48 states. A great deal! His normal price is $259.95 plus shipping. I need at least 3 other members to participate to get this great deal.

Dave

www.thepilo.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?p=PIAA_Mini_Cooper_540_Driving_Light_w/_Bracket_Kit&s=PIAALIGHT

Old 01-25-2004 | 09:02 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I'm very interested in this group buy and also want to let you know that MINIclo expressed the same interest. So add 2 more to your list.

I would like to order these ASAP, so let's get someone else in on this and get it going!

Old 01-25-2004 | 10:12 PM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
*raising hand to show interest*

info first:
candlepower?
more pics besides what's shown (are the holders black, chrome, brushed aluminum?);

Old 01-25-2004 | 11:08 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Old 01-25-2004 | 11:24 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
blacknblue,

the lights are 55w apiece. Stamped metal black housings with mesh guards.

PIAA's are definitely top quality lights. Housings could probably be chromed or powdercoated with a little work, although I will have to see mine in person before I decide to go either route. I think they would look great in white if I can find a good price on powercoating a couple small parts.

SE Regional, BAMA Club Moderator: PM me

Old 01-26-2004 | 12:48 AM
hafid
6th Gear
just to let you all know, i just installed this kit. works great, VERY bright, easy to install, lots of fun.

and BONUS if you have electric blue.....the blue of the bulb perfectly matches EB MINIs when you look at the reflection of the bulb on the inner cone of the lamp...it's very groovy

Old 01-26-2004 | 03:06 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
I could go for this! count me in.

Old 01-26-2004 | 04:37 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
I'm interested. I have aways thought those lights look great. How hard to install for the layman?

Old 01-26-2004 | 04:39 AM
NSX13
2nd Gear
I am also interested - please count me in!

Old 01-26-2004 | 04:54 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Hey Guys,'

There is some great interest for this kit.

I count 6 for the Driving Lights, and 1 for the fog if available (price may be higher..looking into it)

THis kit comes with the Driving Lamps, Brackets, Mesh Style Covers, Wiring Harness, Relay, Switch, and Mounting Hardware.

Since we seem ot have lots of interest, lets have this thng close on friday. I will put up the check out for the group buy on thursday, giving a couple days for all of the orders to come in, and that way we can ship them out early next week. Let me know if this sounds good to every one.

HEre is who I have, Please let me know if this is right.

Definate:
NSX13
TwOMINIs
Darxar
MINIClo
Speltzer

Need More info
YuccaPatrol
BlacknBlue

Let me know if I need to change wour place, or add your name.

Old 01-26-2004 | 05:24 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Dan,
Count me in for a set of driving lights.
Thanks.

Old 01-26-2004 | 05:36 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
For anyone who's on the fence: I just installed these lights last week. They really light up the night! They're an excellent product and the installation is fairly straightforward.

You drill 3 holes into the underside of the hood to mount each bracket. Mount the lights to the brackets, tap one wire into the high beam power wire, then run the harness to the cowl area on the driver's side. The relay is connected to power and ground.

Drop the panel over the driver's knees, and feed the wire to the switch through the large grommet in the cowl area. I placed my switch over the non-used rear fog light blank. This will be temporary, while I decide the final location. Plug everything up. put all pieces back into their place and you're done.

The most time consuming part was getting them aimed the way I wanted them. BTW, $220 shipped is a fantastic deal. I almost wish I'd waited.

Old 01-26-2004 | 05:51 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
I have a set of FF1000's and the factory light brackets but im not sure they're up to the task of the much heavier light. I might be interested in the brackets if can you provide a picture and price for them? Thanks.

Old 01-26-2004 | 05:59 AM
Mighty_Boognish
2nd Gear

Do these lights come with detailed installation instructions, including step-by-step photos? I'm really interested...I just want to know that I'll be able to install them without a hitch... never done electrical installs on any car...

Thanks!

-MightyBoognish

Old 01-26-2004 | 06:22 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
They're a black housed unit right? Should look great with the aero kit grills

If so, count me in

Old 01-26-2004 | 06:27 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
I guess they can mount with the areo kit, I replaced the top and bottom front grill with the areo kit (honeycomb) grille. is this workable? also Dan can I send you a MO once all of this is finalized? if so you can PM me with the details.

thanks, Kent

Old 01-26-2004 | 06:27 AM
CSIBMINI
3rd Gear
Count me in.
Thanks,
Brad

Old 01-26-2004 | 09:09 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Here is the brackets listing. I don't have a close up of them just yet. I will see what I can do. They are available. I will get a price later on for them as part of this PIAA Group Buy. I can get any PIAA Product, so e-mail me for pricing if you need..

http://www.thepilo.com/cgi-bin/store...;s=PIAABRACKET

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 01-26-2004 | 09:17 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Will there be a further price drop if more people join in?

Old 01-26-2004 | 09:42 AM
hafid
6th Gear
They DO mount to the aero kit grill BUT you do have to cut it in four areas to make it fit correctly. All you need is just a sharp file frankly....and if you play with the position correctly, you'll find that on the bottom of the grill where the mounts feed through, you'll cut away one "diamond" so the mount can poke out to hold the lamp. I also cut right behind the lamp so that the wiring and the plug to the lamp could go right there.

Old 01-26-2004 | 09:52 AM
SLiCK
Neutral
$220 looks like a good deal for PIAA's.. I'm in..

Old 01-26-2004 | 10:09 AM
george_ct
1st Gear
Installed these just over a week ago. Very easy install. A friend and I got them on in about 2 hours and I've never done any work on cars.

The lights are very nice, quite bright and add a lot more light to the front. My only complaint is the bright white PIAA lettering on the stone guards (which are plastic btw). I was hopeing there was a way to take the PIAA lettering off, but its part of the guards.

The backing is black. Looks great with my black bonnet stripes as they seem to come down into the lights.

Brackets seem very solid, which was my main concern. These things arent going anywhere.

If the group buy falls through, I'd recommend looking at ebay. Got mine for 225 shipped (buy it now price of 210, 15 shipping) from "718mitc". Ordered them at noon and they arrived the next day! (granted NY->CT isnt far, but i was still impressed).

I'd post pictures, but the car is too dirty with all this snow,sand and salt.

Old 01-26-2004 | 10:09 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
>>They DO mount to the aero kit grill BUT you do have to cut it in four areas to make it fit correctly. All you need is just a sharp file frankly....and if you play with the position correctly, you'll find that on the bottom of the grill where the mounts feed through, you'll cut away one "diamond" so the mount can poke out to hold the lamp. I also cut right behind the lamp so that the wiring and the plug to the lamp could go right there.
>>
>>

Got any close up photos? Figured I'd have to cut and adjust, but if you've got dimensions and locations already worked out that would help.

Thanks George ct, one of my main concerns was the bracket, didn't want a bunch of vibrations and bouncing lights.

Old 01-26-2004 | 11:02 AM
hafid
6th Gear
edit: i totally forgot to add this but a big thanks goes to Pat (pflashinaz) for helping me with the install! :smile:

:smile:

Old 01-26-2004 | 11:07 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
looks like it works for me. So we wait till friday to see who all gets in on the deal? I guess we will be PM'ed once its done

Im excited, I finally get cool lights.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Group buy; PIAA 540 Mini Cooper light kit