Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7... m-wing

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004 | 09:07 AM
Antranik
4th Gear
If I see a MINI on a track with a wing like that, it is understandable, but if someone puts it on their car and they have no will to improve their track times with it, it is laughable, and that is what constitutes the term "rice" that many people use. In all honesty it looks ridiculous but then again, if its design is functional as far as helping the lighter rear end stick a bit more, it has its place in the racing world as well. The stuff that annoys me is when I find someone with this type of product on their car but they have no clue how it works and it is all for looks, it makes me very confused about the world sometimes, haha. Oh well, life goes on..

Old 01-27-2004 | 09:22 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Sorry, but I can't help myself.

:smile:

Old 01-27-2004 | 09:35 AM
M7
|
Former Vendor
I love it......

I'm glad some of you like the idea of a wing in the back, my self a 46 year old not so conservative car enthusiast
love the way the wing looks. Does it work....a resounding yes, I road race and also enjoy a occasional canyon run
here in beutifull SoCal.

The car feels more stable over 70mph and in fast sweepers the car is more stable then ever
adding another dimension to the Mini experience. How can I say that it's better? I have Raced cars since I was
18 years old, and have a lot of experience with race cars setup so my built in but dyno is telling me that this is
a fab uppgrade.

And for you who can't stand it.....great don't buy it

And as always call me pick my brain get some more info

peter horvath
562-712-3270

PS. Guy's hold your breath....more exciting stuff comming this week

Old 01-27-2004 | 09:40 AM
Trippy
Banned
It's not as bad as this one I'll say that for them.

Old 01-27-2004 | 09:47 AM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
Seems as if your avoiding the question is it functional? You said yes because it feels better. Where is the data proving this?

Also, there seems to be confusion about the term RICE.

Rice is having gawdy stickers, stickers of companies whose product you don't have, Items that appear to have use, but actually have no function.

I beleive the wing falls under that last category, until i see hard data that proves it other wise.

Old 01-27-2004 | 10:07 AM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
mmm, well I did notice that this was posted in the exterior mods forum, not the performance mods forum.

Old 01-27-2004 | 10:17 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
anti-rice.com

ROFLMAO

Old 01-27-2004 | 10:29 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Good point Ralley mini. The last time i looked I didnt need a 4 ft cooper s sign on my windsheild to let others know I was drivign a S. Come to think of it don't many consider red calipers , a colorfully hosed up engine compartment also in red a bit RICEY. And thats not even mentioning your planned FLAME roof graphic? No bull look before you leap my friend :smile: Randy

Old 01-27-2004 | 10:55 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
So this is meant for the track, but there is no real data on its usefulness at the track? Not meaning to attack, but this wing is atrocious, with a look that says I stole this off of a Toyota at the mall. However, since it's meant for the track, that is inconsequential.

Old 01-27-2004 | 10:56 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Randy, you forgot about the hood vent scoops that haven't been proven to be functional...he has those too.

Old 01-27-2004 | 11:07 AM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear

>>Personally, I wouldn't buy one of these unless I was building an all-out racing MINI

let's see...

Old 01-27-2004 | 11:38 AM
buz
3rd Gear
If form follows function . . . does it help keep the boot any cleaner?

Old 01-27-2004 | 11:41 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Street_Racer
let's see...
What racing series can it/will it run in? Autocross or roadrace?

Old 01-27-2004 | 11:49 AM
M7
|
Former Vendor
I just stepped out to look at the boot is it cleaner....possibly, it's been 4 days since the last wash and it's kinda clean..

What race series, you pick.... there's so many great groups to race with here in SoCal but I race with OTR, Alfa Club
and Begining in March with NASA. I also Instruct Mini drivers at these various events for free..

peter horvath
562-712-3270

Old 01-27-2004 | 12:04 PM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
M7,

You need to sell some of those wings to Tony Nuzzo...... I might even buy one then.

Rice is taking a good idea from racing and taking that idea so far that it acutally reduces performance.

Big Wheels - If you bought big wheels because you like the looks of them but not because you need a big brake kit - your driving a ricer

Wings - If you put a wing on your car that you don't know how to adjust and creates more drag than downforce - your driving a ricer

Lowering you car - If you lowered your car just for the look and you have to slow down around corners to prevent your wheels from rubbing - your driving a ricer

6" exhausts - don't even....

And then there is the visual stuff like wild ground effects and stickers to make your car look like a race car, but in the end it's just a "Rice"car.

Old 01-27-2004 | 12:21 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
That's your call, Peter.

Does the back end get light at high speeds, is that what brought this about?

What comes to mind is that none of the MCS teams that raced in the 2003 Grand-Am Cup series ran a wing. OTOH, I don't know if rules allowed for one.

At Fontana where they run on the banking, the MINIs were getting their butts kicked on top end so adding drag would only make a bad situation worse. Fontana is worst case, but a wing just doesn't seem to make sense as a performance improvement option.

Treasurer, SCMM | paul@scmm.org

Old 01-27-2004 | 01:21 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Yes it is my call......

As I said over 20 years of racing experience will count for something. And the reason they do not run a wing is
it's not legal...unfair advantage etc.

Fontana yes you would back of the angle simple as that, less drag more speed. On the other hand Street of Willow
you would add more down force front and rear as the track is much slower and has more turns.

peter horvath
562-712-3270

Old 01-27-2004 | 01:53 PM
samawil
5th Gear
Well done Peter, another product that seems like it could find its way onto my Mini...

but like someone said earlier...when are you making a front spliter? Need more grip..more traction...more bower...MORE!!

L

Old 01-27-2004 | 01:59 PM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
Peter...I'd have to say that you are one of the few guys out there that are making products for the Mini...You with your knowledge and enthuciasm are making the Mini world a better place. You are, so far the only person that is creating products for this car as fast as I can count and is always in the prowl for new ideas. I have never bought anything from you, but if you keep creating products for our cars, it will be just a matter of time until I, too, will buy one of your products. I think you are doing a great job on keeping us imformed on all your products...(if only your web-site was running), and I trully appreciate what you're doing for us. I don't post here much, I'm mostly a reader than a writer, but I think is time to give you the credit you deserve, and I hope to see more of your products on this site,( that hood looks AWSOME), please keep up the excellent work you're doing and always remember, than on any bussiness there's always someone out there that is never pleased with what we do. Again, congratulations and good fortune to you and your bussiness. :smile:

Old 01-27-2004 | 02:30 PM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
Rice or no-rice. What I would like to know is does a front wheel drive
car need down force on the rear? Isn't the reason to have a wing, to
put the force down on the powered wheels in a rear wheel drive racer?

Please enlighten me.

MINIACK

Old 01-27-2004 | 02:45 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
You're right, Fontana and Streets of Willow are entirely different tracks.

I'm not against a wing as long as it is within the rules and improves performance enough to justify any penalties.

I'm just curious to know if any more than seat of the pants work was done to come up with the current configuration. Any numbers for downforce and drag? Why two elements, that sort of stuff.

Old 01-27-2004 | 02:49 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIACK
Rice or no-rice. What I would like to know is does a front wheel drive car need down force on the rear? Isn't the reason to have a wing, to put the force down on the powered wheels in a rear wheel drive racer?

Please enlighten me.
MINIACK,

Downforce is not dependent on whether a car is front or rear wheel drive. It depends on speed and the shape of the car.

Note the BTCC front drive MG image Peter showed on page 1:

Treasurer, SCMM | paul@scmm.org

Old 01-27-2004 | 02:52 PM
TomM
2nd Gear
The point is to keep the car balanced and stick better with a wing, than without one. If you've got that super stiff rear ARB in there and through T2 at Willow your *** wants to come around and dance a bit, you'll want some more rear downforce. It has nothing to do with what wheels are driving the car.

Old 01-27-2004 | 02:54 PM
TomM
2nd Gear
Two elements reduces drag and increases downforce, in general.

Old 01-27-2004 | 03:01 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Versus a single element?

Makes sense, you can take advantage of the second element to create more downforce.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior M7... m-wing