Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7... m-wing

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it sad that every time Peter at M7 comes out with a product, a lot of people on this site attack it. Here is a guy putting out innovative products for the Mini, much more so than the same old drab coming from every other shop (i.e. how many of the exact same anti-sway bars need to be produced). Not everyone may like his product and that is fine, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean you need to slam it. If it is for you buy it, if not don't spend your money. Peter is one of the few guys on this site who releases items without tons of false claims like 15hp for an intake.

Give the poor guy a break. He has phenomonal customer service, in my opinion the best out there. A lot of vendors (not mentioning any names) are very hard to contact. All of his products are built well, they don't fall apart and are innovative. He gives a ton of products out for free at events (which I rarely see anyone else do) and for almost everyone out there, they have been happy with the products they purchase from him.

If Peter was intentionally misleading people with his products, I would be skeptical. Anyway, enough complaining. I just hate seeing us give Peter a break. I for one am happy that he is making products, regardless of whether I purchase or even like everyone of his products. The more innovation, the beter it is for the whole Mini community.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:27 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Some of us simply want to know more about the product development process.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Brother
3rd Gear
>>Two elements reduces drag and increases downforce, in general.

I may be off here and some aeronautical engineer can correct me but, I don't think you can REDUCE drag and increase downforce. I believe increasing down force will also increase drag.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:38 PM
rfibanez
Banned
>>It's a WING for down force. It's for THE TRACK

You are correct sir! It might not give you much improvment on the streets but on the track its a whole nother story.

>>Peter, I would like to see a version like the Mini prototype with DTM like side plates mounted against the rear glass frame. AND, a front end splitter

Thats a great idea! I'd love to see some front splitters too

>>And to Nobull: there is no need to puke...It's not like he put a giant sticker saying "Cooper S" on his windshield incase people didnt already know what car he was driving

BAM!

The word 'rice' is used all too often...technically isnt the JCW package MCS rice as well? It comes with upgrades that improve HP and it comes with a flashy new badge but it doesn't improve braking and handling. All characteristics of rice, except it looks good

Old 01-27-2004, 06:30 PM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
generally "ricers" don't have mod's to increase HP, just have the stickers.

and if my posts were taken offensivly i apologize. I think what M7 is doing is awesome, but on an everyday driver that wing would be rice, on a full out race car (like his) it has a purpose (not rice)

Regardless, those that like it great, if not don't by it.
and m7 keep leading the way your doing the best out of any other company.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Parklife
2nd Gear
>>The word 'rice' is used all too often...technically isnt the JCW package MCS rice as well?

No, but there was an original JCW badge that just sold for $66 on eBay. Whoever puts that on a standard MCS has just riced it to some extent. Kind of like the sheer number of Accord and Civic Type R and SiR models in North America that have been shamelessly badge-engineered. Or the base Civic DX running around with only a driver's side mirror, black door handles, 13" steel wheels with little black H-logo center caps, and a big ol' VTEC sticker on the rear fascia.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
InfoSec
2nd Gear
Peter,

Thank you showing us your new product. I hope it sells well to whoever your intended demographics are. As for this consumer I will pass no purchasing this product.

Cheers :smile:

Old 01-27-2004, 08:42 PM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
>>"Rice" isn't even technically correct for a MINI, considering its British heritage (if not its German design). What kind of Britfood can be used to describe a tastelessly modified MINI? "You should check out that bodykit. It's totally spotted ****!"

How about "Hagis"? That car is sooooo Hagis.

I find the hypocracy of some people funny. They buy a MINI because its different and original and can be personalized.......Then when someone does it or comes out with new things it automatically shunned and considered "rice". If you want the wing for looks go for it its your car, if you want it for track buy it.If you hate it don't buy it. Stop listening to the mindless masses who tell you its rice to boost their own self worth and lack of originality. I personally enjoy seeing new and unique things being done to the MINI. Some are cool some are hideous (not everyone loves the MINI some think its hideous and thats OK) but someone out there thinks its worth it and I say more power to them.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:07 PM
hondacivic
4th Gear
does a wing on a FRONT wheel drive do anything good?

Old 01-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Parklife
2nd Gear
Yes. Ever have the rear end step out on a FWD? It's entirely possible, especially on a car as nose-heavy as the MINI.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:19 PM
hondacivic
4th Gear
ah thanks.. I was not slamming your product i think it looks great. I just wanted to know what a wing did on fwd.

How hard is it to install? i really like it

Old 01-27-2004, 09:26 PM
rfibanez
Banned
>>No, but there was an original JCW badge that just sold for $66 on eBay

Darn I missed that! That badge would have looked cool on my cooper

Old 01-27-2004, 09:46 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>How hard is it to install? i really like it<<

If your handy and know how to use a drill and Allen-wrenches you do fine

peter horvath
562-712-3270

Old 01-27-2004, 09:51 PM
hondacivic
4th Gear
>>
>>>>How hard is it to install? i really like it<<
>>
>>If your handy and know how to use a drill and Allen-wrenches you do fine
>>
>>peter horvath
>>562-712-3270

>>

I got the factory spoiler. but will your wing do anything for street use?

thanks

Old 01-27-2004, 10:14 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a street car, no tracking, canyon driving etc. the wing would not do much, except look really cool in my humble
opinion

peter

Old 01-27-2004, 10:21 PM
hondacivic
4th Gear
>>As a street car, no tracking, canyon driving etc. the wing would not do much, except look really cool in my humble
>>opinion
>>
>>peter

ah i see. well i like the look. But i'd spend the money on a Plasma booster.. Also do you do sponsorships?

thanks

Old 01-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Coopertino
Banned
There are tasteful wings such as on 911 Turbo's of the 80's and 90's then there are these Ricey versions that typically get installed for the kids. This is NOT tasteful and frankly I don’t think that anyone other than kids will like it or buy it.

Are you guys surprised, this is M7's style.. Plasma booster, wings, NOS etc..

Its either, it belongs on fast and the furious or a Ferrari (due to cost only)

I am not trying to be mean here but it seems that Marketing is not M7's strong point. Please don’t make the Mini something its not, get this off the roadmap please. Most Mini folks are people from 30-60 years old that had originals or have German cars. Please correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think you see a huge crowd from Hondas rushing over buying Mini's.

It doesn’t matter if its even 5% functional cause you would get laughed off the track. I am sure people will ask if its your kids car.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:30 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Wow, seems like you really have a problem with stereotyping...the mini is whatever you make it to be. If you don't like the product then don't buy it. I use to have an american muscle car and I'm not 30-60 years old and never owned a classic mini...does that mean I'm not the typical MINI driver? Theres more former honda owners with MINIs then you think

Old 01-28-2004, 06:13 AM
goin440
6th Gear
[b]>>I wanna see Wind Tunnel results!

(They all don't have to do anything but look different.)

Old 01-28-2004, 06:33 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Coopertino (and other rice obsessed individuals) - I suggest you guys go rent some DVD's on the drifting phenom or other street mod videos. They may be Japanese language based, but no biggie. You're looking at the cars. You're going to find plenty of wings like this in competition, Mazda RX-7's, Honda S2000's, whatever. He is not going to get laughed off the track. I'm willing to bet that when Peter pops his hood, he draws a crowd. Motorheads are motorheads.

Really Coopertino, I don't know why you have it in for M7. If you really want to see ricey stuff, go to Pep Boys. Manny, Moe & Jack would be glad to show you the way. I certainly fall into the 30-60 category. I have owned an '82 Celica, '92 Accord and a '99 GTI. Perhaps you will say I saw the light by finally going German. But people will do to the MINI what they please. Whether it horrifies you or delights you...

The stuff M7 is selling looks high enough quality to me, and as I have said, while it may not be my taste - more power to him.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:18 AM
jivanivan
4th Gear
>>Are you guys surprised, this is M7's style.. Plasma booster, wings, NOS etc..

Is this a bad statement? I don't see anything wrong with the products you just listed. Sounds like M7's style is to be brave enough to come out with original products. You gotta remember that Peter has decades of racing experience and he would know what products to produce to make the MINI faster.

Oh, and you forgot to add that he's made a
1. supercharger
2. high performance clutch
3. control arms
4. ultimate lower grill
5. TiCer brakes
6. the only successful turbo for the Cooper

the list can go on and probabaly will

>>I am not trying to be mean here but it seems that Marketing is not M7's strong point. Please don’t make the Mini something its not, get this off the roadmap please.

Who made you the one who says what the MINI "should be"? As it is said over and over to the closed minded old men on here: people can do whatever they want. Judging by the list of products M7 has developed, I'd say their strong point is making kick-*** MINI performance products that no other MINI tuner can mess with.

>>Most Mini folks are people from 30-60 years old that had originals or have German cars.
So are you saying that it's limited to those people?

I'm 21, and alot of people on here are close to my age. I admit that my previous car was german, but not everyone is in the age range you stated. At the Italian Job premiere here in SF, it was mixed equally (young & old) maybe it's different in your town.

>>Please correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think you see a huge crowd from Hondas rushing over buying Mini's.
Do you see a huge crowd from Mercedes rushing over to the MINI dealership? I don't get why the majority of people on here always use Honda as a way to make themselves feel like "higher class". There are TONS of people who had Hondas buy a MINI. When I was buying my MINI I asked the salesperson what she drives and it's a Honda Civic.
90% of my friends are all Honda. But when I take them for a ride, man, do they want a MINI.

>>It doesn’t matter if its even 5% functional cause you would get laughed off the track. I am sure people will ask if its your kids car.

Coopertino... let's see you and Peter on the track and we'll see who gets laughed at

Who cares if people aren't feeling a single mod on your car, it's yours and put whatever you want on it. I'm putting an old school Nintendo in my MINI. Will I get laughed at? Probably because I ain't putting an Xbox or PS2, but I love the old games and that's all that matters to me.

Just wait for that M-Wing to be painted to match your roof color. I'm sure all your minds will change.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:24 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goin440
While your at it, maybe someone can explain bonnet strips, contrasting roofs, and personalized licence plates.

(They all don't have to do anything but look different.)
Wrongo bucko.

This is claimed to be for track use so it must have a performance benefit.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Trippy
Banned
The stuff M7 is selling looks high enough quality to me,
I agree with this. Even though I may question each and every product,
I'm trying to understand the REASON or the product.

Many times it is presented as a performance "booster", but I don't see
the resoning behind the "boost".

BUT, the look, and apparent quality of the M7 designed products is great.

The things he has repackaged and sold from other manufacturers is documented
in other threads.

So, I may get on Peter when he has some nonsense about the physics of the
situation, but he certainly makes damn nice stuff. And pricey to boot!

Old 01-28-2004, 07:47 AM
goin440
6th Gear
>>
>>While your at it, maybe someone can explain bonnet strips, contrasting roofs, and personalized licence plates.
>>
>>(They all don't have to do anything but look different.)
>>
>>Wrongo bucko.
>>
>>This is claimed to be for track use so it must have a performance benefit.

So, when are YOU planning to hit the track?

Old 01-28-2004, 08:15 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
So, when are YOU planning to hit the track?
Dude, did you read Peter's initial post?
Originally Posted by M7
...The m-wing, a hatch mounted dual wing with carbon fiber end plates. mini specific hardware, mounting templates and instructions. The wing can be adjusted up to 30 degrees for different tracks etc.
I personaly raced with the wing on the car hitting over 120mph with no problems.
See the connection? Peter says its for the track! My questions have to do with how he developed the design. Where is the problem with that?

Some of us want to know more about the go than the show.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior M7... m-wing