Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Bonnet / Hood and Rear stripes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011 | 08:49 PM
D Nuts
|
1st Gear
Bonnet / Hood and Rear stripes

How difficult is it to apply the stripes? Many vendors claim its very easy, but I cant even install my screen protector on my blackberry without bubbles I could never live with on my 07 MCS Cabrio.

Also, I like the double middle stripes which means having to remove the hood scoop and work around other obsticles on the rear hatch.

How difficult is it to overcome these obsticles with zero experience doing so? The dealership wnats big $ to install and Ive exhausted looking for after market shops. Lastly, the best deas seem to be on ebay. Anyone have any experience buying stripes off of ebay? thanks

Old 07-02-2011 | 06:28 AM
modimum
3rd Gear
This may not be entirely helpful, but here goes.

My neighbor did mine for me with e-bay bought stripes. Mine was the third car he had done - he's put stripes on his kid's subaru.

I wanted try for two stripes down the middle, but he was concerned about the curves on the hood, so we went for a single down the middle with pin stripes on either side.

Scoop comes out prtty easily, open the hood and unscrew it.

My impression was that it was not tremendously difficult. He did not have any bubbles.

Our biggest issue was the back stripe. There was a LOT of grit under the rubber seal around the window, and it kept coming out with watery/soapy solution and getting under the vinyl. Ugh. So take your time cleaning there to make sure it's gone.

Also, we didn't totally remove the rear handle, just loosened it and let it dangle. We had a little trouble there because when we screwed it back in, the door lock wouldn't work. Unscrewng and some gentle jiggling sorted it out, but be careful around that area.

We also dislodged the rubber bit that your fingers press on to open the trunk. Keep an eye on that.
It fell out several times before I managed to ge it properly re-seated. It's not difficult, just a little fiddly.

So all in all, I would say, doable really. Give it a crack. Lots of vinyl and lots of soapy water. And if you find the hood isn't too curvy for two DIY stripes, report back, won't you?

Last edited by modimum; 07-02-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: many typos, damn touch screen
Old 07-02-2011 | 08:16 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Using the wet method gives you time to make sure it is going down where you want it. The easy way to get the stripe to form itself to the various curves of the bonnet is with the palm of your hand applying steady pressure in the direction you want it to go. I used windex and started at one end and slowly worked it down the the other and used a soft squeegie to get small air bubbles out. If a small air bubble survives don't worry about it. After a few days in the hot sun it will generally go away. I replaced mine a couple of years ago and are getting close to time for new ones. Suicidal bugs are making a mess where the stripes come down over the nose. I just took my time and had no problems. One silly thing that did get past me was, in just the right light you can see a hair that got trapped but you have to really want to see it.

Old 07-02-2011 | 07:54 PM
D Nuts
|
1st Gear
I think I'm gonna try buying off of ebay. It sounds like the hood is doabloe, but the rear is worrying me cause i'm brutal with finesing that kinda thing. I'm not the most patient. I really like the 2 stripes down the middle, but I may look for stripes that may avoid obsticles in the front and rear. I think the OEM style maybe like that. All in at the dealer they wanted about $400 installed so I've been debating self install as I wanna upgrade my OEM sound system badly and I dont wanna have to mortgage my house to get this stuff done. Thanks, I'm feeling I maybe able to get it done (the front very likely)

Originally Posted by modimum
This may not be entirely helpful, but here goes.

My neighbor did mine for me with e-bay bought stripes. Mine was the third car he had done - he's put stripes on his kid's subaru.

I wanted try for two stripes down the middle, but he was concerned about the curves on the hood, so we went for a single down the middle with pin stripes on either side.

Scoop comes out prtty easily, open the hood and unscrew it.

My impression was that it was not tremendously difficult. He did not have any bubbles.

Our biggest issue was the back stripe. There was a LOT of grit under the rubber seal around the window, and it kept coming out with watery/soapy solution and getting under the vinyl. Ugh. So take your time cleaning there to make sure it's gone.

Also, we didn't totally remove the rear handle, just loosened it and let it dangle. We had a little trouble there because when we screwed it back in, the door lock wouldn't work. Unscrewng and some gentle jiggling sorted it out, but be careful around that area.

We also dislodged the rubber bit that your fingers press on to open the trunk. Keep an eye on that.
It fell out several times before I managed to ge it properly re-seated. It's not difficult, just a little fiddly.

So all in all, I would say, doable really. Give it a crack. Lots of vinyl and lots of soapy water. And if you find the hood isn't too curvy for two DIY stripes, report back, won't you?

Old 07-02-2011 | 08:03 PM
D Nuts
|
1st Gear
Did you use windex completely and no soap and water to get the bubbles out? I have a balled head so I'll keep my wife and daughter away from the garage

Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Using the wet method gives you time to make sure it is going down where you want it. The easy way to get the stripe to form itself to the various curves of the bonnet is with the palm of your hand applying steady pressure in the direction you want it to go. I used windex and started at one end and slowly worked it down the the other and used a soft squeegie to get small air bubbles out. If a small air bubble survives don't worry about it. After a few days in the hot sun it will generally go away. I replaced mine a couple of years ago and are getting close to time for new ones. Suicidal bugs are making a mess where the stripes come down over the nose. I just took my time and had no problems. One silly thing that did get past me was, in just the right light you can see a hair that got trapped but you have to really want to see it.

Old 07-03-2011 | 07:49 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Empty spray bottle, a spoon full of liquid dish soap, fill with water..
3M recommends Joy
Get a stiff bondo squeeze or use a credit card covered with a paper towel..
Spray area and sticky side of vinyl, lay in position, squeeze from middle area out towards both ends..

Old 07-03-2011 | 06:26 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Windex, dish soap solution or whatever makes no difference. All it needs is a mild EVAPORATIVE lubricant (made that point to preclude K-Y or 10W-40) so you can move the vinyl into position. Once it has been squeegied down it is set.

Old 07-04-2011 | 05:39 PM
D Nuts
|
1st Gear
I'm gonna give it w whirl. Just decided im gonna go with the OEM black with white accent stripe. Now I just need to find a place that sells the front hood and rear that matches. Thanks much all!

Windex, dish soap solution or whatever makes no difference. All it needs is a mild EVAPORATIVE lubricant (made that point to preclude K-Y or 10W-40) so you can move the vinyl into position. Once it has been squeegied down it is set.

Old 07-04-2011 | 08:39 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Last weekend I removed the gloss black stripes had I put on a year and a half ago and replaced them with black CF vinyl bonnet & boot stripes. I did not use any water or lubricant, only a 3M squeegee and a head gun to soften the vinyl to conform to the contours. Cam out great.

I had used the water and lube method when I installed my gloss black stripes but switched to the dry, squeegee, heat gun method part way though and had better results. I found it difficult to keep everything from moving until it dried using the wet method.

I also did my dash and door panels the same way 2 weeks ago.

Old 07-04-2011 | 11:04 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Check out Aesthetic Creations http://www.aestheticreations.net/. They have bonnet and boot stripes of all sorts and priced right. Also see about clear vinyl stripe shield to protect against suicidal bugs and other trash that will scar the stripes out on the nose. That's gonna be my next add on when I replace my current stripes (gotten from AE by the way).

Old 07-05-2011 | 08:32 AM
D Nuts
|
1st Gear
Dang! That looks like perfection. Nice work. No water or lub scares the crap outta me. I'm just so lame with that kinda of stuff and I'm guessing I'm gonna need to re-adjust the alignment a few hundred times

Originally Posted by 36rodder
Last weekend I removed the gloss black stripes had I put on a year and a half ago and replaced them with black CF vinyl bonnet & boot stripes. I did not use any water or lubricant, only a 3M squeegee and a head gun to soften the vinyl to conform to the contours. Cam out great.

I had used the water and lube method when I installed my gloss black stripes but switched to the dry, squeegee, heat gun method part way though and had better results. I found it difficult to keep everything from moving until it dried using the wet method.

I also did my dash and door panels the same way 2 weeks ago.

Old 07-05-2011 | 08:32 AM
D Nuts
|
1st Gear
Was it difficult to remove the hood scoop?

Originally Posted by D Nuts
Dang! That looks like perfection. Nice work. No water or lub scares the crap outta me. I'm just so lame with that kinda of stuff and I'm guessing I'm gonna need to re-adjust the alignment a few hundred times

Old 07-07-2011 | 09:13 AM
D Nuts
|
1st Gear
I placed my order yesterday for the black with white pin Bonnet and Boot. I'm sensing theyre very busy preparing for an event so there will be a delay. Summer is short up here so i'm hoping to challenge myself with the application before the snow falls.

Check out Aesthetic Creations http://www.aestheticreations.net/. They have bonnet and boot stripes of all sorts and priced right. Also see about clear vinyl stripe shield to protect against suicidal bugs and other trash that will scar the stripes out on the nose. That's gonna be my next add on when I replace my current stripes (gotten from AE by the way).

Old 07-07-2011 | 10:13 AM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Was it difficult to remove the hood scoop?
Nope, 2 nuts on the underside of the hood.

Old 07-07-2011 | 11:07 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
I placed my order yesterday for the black with white pin Bonnet and Boot. I'm sensing theyre very busy preparing for an event so there will be a delay. Summer is short up here so i'm hoping to challenge myself with the application before the snow falls.
AE is a mom & pop operation (not to imply anything other than the general descriptive label given to home grown enterprises) and yes, he is preparing for MITM first of next month. Some where in these forum threads I remember seeing a step by step with pictures, boot strip application. The search engine should help find it. Have fun 'youafying' your MINI.

PS: Check back with him to see about clear vinyl stripe guards for the bonnet stripes. Suicidal bugs have scarred mine where they go down over the nose by the headlights and I will absolutely apply those next time around.

Old 07-07-2011 | 03:01 PM
D Nuts
|
1st Gear
I'm hoping the "laminate" was the extra protection cause I ordered it for both pieces. Dang, maybe I shoulda asssked.

AE is a mom & pop operation (not to imply anything other than the general descriptive label given to home grown enterprises) and yes, he is preparing for MITM first of next month. Some where in these forum threads I remember seeing a step by step with pictures, boot strip application. The search engine should help find it. Have fun 'youafying' your MINI.

PS: Check back with him to see about clear vinyl stripe guards for the bonnet stripes. Suicidal bugs have scarred mine where they go down over the nose by the headlights and I will absolutely apply those next time around.

Old 07-07-2011 | 07:37 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Dat's da stuff.

Old 05-14-2012 | 03:16 PM
automan21
5th Gear
For those who did their own stripe install how did you center it on the hood/bonnet?

Old 05-15-2012 | 09:40 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Could just lay a piece of tape the width of your spacing between stripes down the center of the hood, using the MINI Logo and measuring between the windshielf wiper squirters. Then just get it wet and slide the vinyl to the edge of the tape..
If you have a hood scoop that's a good place to measure from as well.. Got to be prepared to do some "eye balling" when doing the stripes. Lay the tape or vinyl on there and stand back and look at it..then do it!!!

Old 05-15-2012 | 02:15 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Measured mine.
Outside edge at the leading end of the washer head, 1/2 inch out.
From the first I on the MINI badge, about 10 inches.
Mine are a little off, second replacements, but from 20 paces on a galloping horse, they look just fine.
Tape them down with blue tape and eyeball them where they look OK to you and call it good.

PS: I used a tailor's tape so's not to scratch anything. Would suggest you use the same...not mine, your's.