Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Passenger side column upper clip nut stripped??!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011 | 10:35 AM
VtwinPower
|
3rd Gear
Passenger side column upper clip nut stripped??!?

I haven't touched my Mini in 8 months since I PCS'ed to South Korea. Next Monday I'll be home and want to fix a couple minor things with my interior. One that really bothers me is my passenger side column upper clip nut (blue one) not sure what exactly its called. I stripped it out when I was adjusting my wires behind my H/U. I've torn apart my interior many times for stereo/noise issues so I'm not afraid to rip it apart again.

My only issue is that this nut slips over the inside of where the passenger side column mounts. I'm only home for 18 days so I'm debating whether or not I should just take it to the dealer and have them fix it in a jiffy or just take it upon myself. Has anyone has experience messing with this before? The nut I'm speaking of is the upper nut that the passenger side center column mounts to in the center dash. I lost it trying to put some wood/wire sleeve in the whole to help the threads keep contact. So now I can't even show an example of it haha. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated for I'm 8 thousand KM's from home and can't take any pictures of it at the moment. The way I installed my stereo wasn't quite by the books. The two tabs on the basket for my aftermarket H/U were bent went I bought the hu used and it's no spring steel so once they're bent I can't make sure there is tension on either sides of the basket to hold the HU in. SO I used the two passenger and drivers side column screws to keep the HU in place along with what tension the tabs on the HU basket had left. So now the right side of my HU is sticking out and it bothers the hell out of me. Of course I'm the only one who notices it.

I know this is an individual situation that only few have dealt with but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, the I cannot slip another clip nut on there without removing the entire dash. There is no threads at that contact point so it's a lost cause really. How much would this run to get done at the dealership?

Thanks..

Christopher