Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Replacing Aero grill with existing MINI Aux Light Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011 | 03:54 PM
PerkMini
|
1st Gear
Replacing Aero grill with existing MINI Aux Light Mounts

Have a problem..... son backed into my 2006 MCS w/ Aero Kit, destroying my Aero bumper, factory Aux rally lights and support pins (but mounts are fine), as well as the upper radiator grill. Teenagers are great.

Problem is this: the mounts for the lights go through some cut-outs of the black aero grill and then are fastened to the bonnet using rivets. The way the mounts flare OUT after they come through the grill makes it impossible to replace the grill without detaching the rally light mounts (breaking out the rivets). The install guide for the lights calls them 'blind rivets' and I don't have a way to re-rivet the mounts if I break them off to install the new grill. Do I just remove the existing rivets and buy a rivet gun? The parts kit for mounting the lights comes with the rivets.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

Old 09-04-2011 | 04:26 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
you CAN replace the rivets with small stainless screws and nylox nuts .... I've installed many sets of factory lights (on GEN1) and that's what I use.

A dremel would allow you to cut the heads off of the rivets that are there. Then pull out the residue and use hardware to re-install. My local ACE Hardware has a great selection of stainless by the piece.

I despise pop-rivets . . .

Old 09-04-2011 | 04:30 PM
PerkMini
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
you CAN replace the rivets with small stainless screws and nylox nuts .... I've installed many sets of factory lights (on GEN1) and that's what I use.

A dremel would allow you to cut the heads off of the rivets that are there. Then pull out the residue and use hardware to re-install. My local ACE Hardware has a great selection of stainless by the piece.

I despise pop-rivets . . .
Yeah I think you're 100% correct. I could use the alternate hardware just as well. What do you think about the support posts that are broken off? Do they just unscrew from the back for easy replacement with the ones that come in the install kit?

Thanks!

Last edited by PerkMini; 09-04-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 09-04-2011 | 04:42 PM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
i would just drill out the old rivets and rerevit it
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGYQ8gIwAA
rivet tool