Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior My Dream iPhone Mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011 | 12:06 PM
mshale
|
1st Gear
My Dream iPhone Mount

If someone would make a hybrid of this:

and this (for the Motorola Atrix):

I would be the happiest camper EVER! Like everyone else, I have to keep my phone in the cup holder if I want to listen to it / use it for navigation...

Old 10-31-2011 | 04:20 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Bolts up with pass side seat rail bolt in under 1 minute....Probably the best 37 bucks I ever spent on eBay.....

I have an Android Blackberry style phone but should work with most any similar model.

One button release. Bottom pads are adjustable to go closer or further apart to adapt for power cord size ect.

But looks like the price just went up

listing

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:08 PM
mshale
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Bolts up with pass side seat rail bolt in under 1 minute....Probably the best 37 bucks I ever spent on eBay.....

I have an Android Blackberry style phone but should work with most any similar model.

One button release. Bottom pads are adjustable to go closer or further apart to adapt for power cord size ect.

But looks like the price just went up

listing
Meh, I could just buy an iPhone chord extension and do the same thing with the cravenspeed one. I'm looking for something that has the dock connector built in. I'm sure that one you listed is pretty beefy though. Do you use the dynamometer app?

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:16 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
That link didn't work for me (says I have to be logged in), but I was able to parse the item number out of it in order to find it here.

If it's really as easy as you say to install, I really need one. Seems perfect.

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:23 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
I only had to loosen the bolt head - it takes a size T25 or T30 I think ?

I slid the u shape part of the bracket UNDER the drivers side rail from front to back and then twisted it inwards so it aligned with the bolt then tightened it down.

So easy a cave man could do it or my brother in law....you pick.

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:26 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by mshale
Meh, I could just buy an iPhone chord extension and do the same thing with the cravenspeed one. I'm looking for something that has the dock connector built in. I'm sure that one you listed is pretty beefy though. Do you use the dynamometer app?
The stalk is 1 inch thick and super sturdy.

I used small black quick ties to route my power cord and aux cord up the stalk so it's always there and handy ready to plug in.

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:45 PM
mshale
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I only had to loosen the bolt head - it takes a size T25 or T30 I think ?

I slid the u shape part of the bracket UNDER the drivers side rail from front to back and then twisted it inwards so it aligned with the bolt then tightened it down.

So easy a cave man could do it or my brother in law....you pick.
For some reason, a moderator has to approve the reply to my own post lol. anyway, I'll try again...

I'm looking for something that has the dock-type connector integrated into it or something like that. That one you posted looks pretty beefy, though.

You have any pics of it installed?

Old 10-31-2011 | 07:17 PM
pgrzes
2nd Gear
This is a pic of what I have. Not sure of the bracket itself was in the car when I bought it but I added a pro clip with a thru adapter on it so I have no plugs to deal with. I have a Dice Mediabridge. I am somewhat happy with it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...es-iphone.html

Old 03-26-2012 | 11:20 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
I just ordered this Arkon mount.

I'm looking forward to having full Y-cable connectivity and convenient placement at the same time. I'll let y'all know if it works for me.

Old 03-27-2012 | 11:41 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
To the OP if this thread had been in the NAV and Audio Section where it realy should have been as it applies to all 2nd gen MINI's not just the coop. i mihgt have seen this much sooner and been able to help you out. Hopefully you have found something that works for you but here are some photos of my install. not the prettiest at the time of the picutres but it was to see if it was going to work.

This is for a Motorola Droid X but is the same idea for the Atrix.

Old 03-27-2012 | 05:59 PM
mshale
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
To the OP if this thread had been in the NAV and Audio Section where it realy should have been as it applies to all 2nd gen MINI's not just the coop. i mihgt have seen this much sooner and been able to help you out. Hopefully you have found something that works for you but here are some photos of my install. not the prettiest at the time of the picutres but it was to see if it was going to work.

This is for a Motorola Droid X but is the same idea for the Atrix.
Thank you for your reply! However, I really don't think that modifying pieces of my interior to be able to hold something that serves as a data acquisition and measuring device qualifies it to be in the Nav and Audio section - because it will do neither Nav nor audio. Now I would agree with your statement had I been trying to fit a tablet into the center speedo But now I know!

And, I have an iPhone - I really wish I had an Atrix or Droid X laying around now lol. Then I could have that nice mount, and have a bluetooth PLX Kiwi device instead of having to use the wifi one. I was thinking about sticking one of those Galaxy Notes up there somehow

I have found that the cravenspeed mount has met my needs so far, I am just having a hard time finding a 30-pin dock connector extension cable that works reliably. Most of them around are cheap junk and either doesn't make a power connection or doesn't work with the music side of things when my g/f want's to play pandora on her phone.

I was going to post a picture of my mount, but realized that there are already plenty of the same mount floating around here.

Old 03-27-2012 | 06:08 PM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tippykayak
I just ordered this Arkon mount.

I'm looking forward to having full Y-cable connectivity and convenient placement at the same time. I'll let y'all know if it works for me.
Love to see a picture of your final install.

Old 03-27-2012 | 07:09 PM
llewellyn
2nd Gear
Raven, do you have any pictures of where the phone sits in the car with this mount? I like the looks of it.

Old 03-27-2012 | 08:06 PM
staynedglass
2nd Gear
what about just using a usb extension instead of the 30pin extender?

Old 03-28-2012 | 09:29 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by staynedglass
I decided to extend the USB and the stereo cable separately rather than using a dock extension, since people reported such mixed success with 30-pin extensions. It works great. You can't do just USB because it won't carry sound.

Old 03-28-2012 | 09:56 AM
el chupacabra
1st Gear
[IMG][/IMG]Great video by Attractive4MINI and at min 2:04 is the ideal Iphone gauge

Attached Thumbnails My Dream iPhone Mount-62747_431522746732_239476431732_5207182_4029486_n.jpeg   My Dream iPhone Mount-60158_431522861732_239476431732_5207185_2825332_n.jpeg  

Last edited by el chupacabra; 03-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2012 | 10:21 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by el chupacabra
great video by attractive4mini and at min 2:04 is the ideal iphone gauge
want.

Old 03-28-2012 | 11:13 AM
ORazor
1st Gear
KUDA is my preference.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...es-please.html

The install was tricky, yes, but it matches the dashboard of the MINI perfectly.

Bill

Old 03-28-2012 | 12:50 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mshale
Thank you for your reply! However, I really don't think that modifying pieces of my interior to be able to hold something that serves as a data acquisition and measuring device qualifies it to be in the Nav and Audio section - because it will do neither Nav nor audio. Now I would agree with your statement had I been trying to fit a tablet into the center speedo But now I know!
But you have an iPhone 4 and even if it was an Atrix both are phones which WILL do Nav AND Audio. And your exact statement in your first post was "I would be the happiest camper EVER! Like everyone else, I have to keep my phone in the cup holder if I want to listen to it / use it for navigation...". which seems to me that you were using it for Nav and Audio

But anyway the link below may be what you are looking for. It has a Dock Connector built into the mount and connects for power via a USB cable. States it also has a 3.5mm audio jack for playing music thru the car stereo as well. And also has a Car Dock Mode Application (free - I use one on my droid and it works great). The mount could probably be modified easily as I have done with the one for my Droid to mount it to a Craven Speed Mounting bracket off the back of the Tach.

http://www.dension.com/iPhone-car-ac...ock-for-iPhone

Old 04-10-2012 | 07:33 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
I got and installed that Arkon mount, btw. Pictures soon. It doesn't go under the bolt, like it's designed to, since the rail is too narrow to fit the bottom piece in, and the bolt isn't directly accessible if you go under the rail (too far from the front of the rail, no space on the side of the rail for it.

However, I loosened the bolt, pushed the bottom piece under the rail, and tightened the bolt back down. I used an Allen wrench on the bolt, even though it's one of those star shaped bolt patters. The mount's in firmly and sits perfectly.

Old 04-12-2012 | 02:02 PM
mshale
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by staynedglass
Originally Posted by tippykayak
I decided to extend the USB and the stereo cable separately rather than using a dock extension, since people reported such mixed success with 30-pin extensions. It works great. You can't do just USB because it won't carry sound.
You both are geniuses... That thought didn't even cross my mind.
Originally Posted by el chupacabra

Great video by Attractive4MINI and at min 2:04 is the ideal Iphone gauge
Must have this lol.
Originally Posted by schatzy62
But you have an iPhone 4 and even if it was an Atrix both are phones which WILL do Nav AND Audio. And your exact statement in your first post was "I would be the happiest camper EVER! Like everyone else, I have to keep my phone in the cup holder if I want to listen to it / use it for navigation...". which seems to me that you were using it for Nav and Audio

But anyway the link below may be what you are looking for. It has a Dock Connector built into the mount and connects for power via a USB cable. States it also has a 3.5mm audio jack for playing music thru the car stereo as well. And also has a Car Dock Mode Application (free - I use one on my droid and it works great). The mount could probably be modified easily as I have done with the one for my Droid to mount it to a Craven Speed Mounting bracket off the back of the Tach.

http://www.dension.com/iPhone-car-ac...ock-for-iPhone
Yeah, the girlfriend wants the music and stuff, I just need the ability to charge it while it's in the holder.

The Cravenspeed mount is the best i've been able to get my hands on so far. And now that the idea of using a 3.5mm audio extender in conjunction with an USB extension (instead of the 30-pin extender), I believe this solution will be the best. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2012 | 08:40 PM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
I just started using the Mountek CD mount. It works awesome. The only issue I have is the aux cord is in the way at times when I need to shift.

http://mountek.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=85

Last edited by mikeyb74; 05-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2012 | 09:21 AM
zamfield
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mikeyb74
I just started using the Mountek CD mount. It works awesome. The only issue I have is the aux cord is in the way at times when I need to shift.

http://mountek.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=85
Got one of these myself... perfect as it's a good height in the Mini and I don't use the CD player!

Used it for the GPS whilst at the Dragon too.

Old 05-07-2012 | 09:57 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
I'm ordering the Kuda custom leather mount - Had one on my BMW and it looks as part of the dash.

Here are the choices for Mini Cooper and I like their product a lot. Easy to mount.

Attached Thumbnails My Dream iPhone Mount-kudamountformini.jpg   My Dream iPhone Mount-kudamountformini2.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012 | 12:22 AM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
lol trying this one out now

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior My Dream iPhone Mount