Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Smiths Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:57 PM
rlich8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smiths Gauges?

Hi all,

I had a crazy/cool idea just now - I'd like to put a classic Smiths oil pressure gauge. Maybe a temperature gauge too.

Smiths gauges were used on many English cars back in the day (MG, Triumph, Jag, etc) and I think it would be an awesome retro touch. I am used to looking at Smiths gauges in my MG and Jag and the novelty of mechanical oil pressure gauge is really neat!

I'm thinking mechanical because that way I don't have to worry about power, and hacking up the wiring loom. The honest response/feedback of a

Has anyone done this? This is what they look like. There are a couple of variations, but I like this one.

Mini Mania sells this cool little adapter, which would make it nice and easy:

http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NME7301/InvDetail.cfm

My only question is, how and where would I mount this sucker?

Thoughts in general, ideas?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
gauges gauges gauges! lol
there is at least 1 thread that may be titled "show us your gauges". id take a gander at that! theres like 50 cars with gauge set-ups. your most common setups are the ones that attach gauges to the Tach, which is one of the best / easiest places. some people just buy gauge holders for the Tach, and a few have made their own fairly cheaply

i managed to score one of the OEM setups, made by stewart warner, which totally replaces the whole top half of the steering column. its the most "stock" look, but others can be just as nice.

another option, is to get some basic holders on ebay / online, and simply mount your gauges somewhere cool, and yet another option is to mount your gauge in place of an air vent! those look great, but you do Lose that air vent port :(

You can also do something like i have pictured, i got this gauge pod holder on ebay for a few bucks... little ingenuity and you can make a decent dash setup (see pic)

As for your adapters, I got mine from this website for a great price IMO, cheaper than in the states!

http://rspec.co.uk/gauge-sensor-adap...ooper-adaptors

just BE CAREFUL of running those oil lines. because your using a mechanical gauge, you will actually have to run those lines INTO your car!

Last edited by astroBlackMetallic_Mini; 04-24-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
rlich8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I saw the thread, there's some really slick setups in there. I really do not need an oil pressure gauge or a water gauge, etc, I just think they look really neat.

I am used to looking at my oil pressure and temp gauge in my MG and my Jag, and the responsiveness/"retro" feel of the mechanical gauges is really neat. It's so cool watching the oil pressure shoot up when you crank it up, and watching it level out over warmup.

Anyways, thanks my friend!!!