Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior looking for BIG RALLY LIGHTS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 06:55 AM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2004 MCS, and I definitely want bigger-than-OEM driving lights. For my tastes, the OEM ones are too small. I want something that blends in with the headlights better.

Basically, I want 2 BIG RALLY LIGHTS mounted at the grill. No light bar, just the mounts sticking out from the grill. Hooked into the high beams in the usual OEM way with the cutoff switch for my euro parcel shelf.

Can I get the OEM mounts, then just put on bigger lights?

What are the typical light sizes for large lights? 7 inch diameter?

Any product suggestions, either the lights or the mounting kit? I don't mind buying the OEM mounting kit, even if it comes with the factory lights, as long as I can remove them and put on the big ones.

Any help much appreciated!

(I've scoured all the rally and driving light threads here, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.)

Old 03-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
There's been quite a bit written on this subject already, but here are some answers to your questions.

Piaa, Hella, Cibie, Marchal, and a couple others make good quality lights that are larger than stock.

If you go to larger lights you'll need to buy heavy duty mounting bracket or reinforce the OEM ones, otherwise you'll stand the chance of getting a lot of vibration in the lights.

IMO 7" is about as large as I'd go. I've seen a pic of a MINI mounting 8" Marchal's and they seem a bit too large.

You can use the OEM wiring. No problems there.

Mine with old model Cibie 45's. The covers measure 7".

Old 03-15-2004, 05:47 PM
changingman
1st Gear
I went with three clear Hella FF1000's with heavy duty SS brackets similar to the OEM brackets. I agree anything larger than 7" may be too big. :smile:

Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 PM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
Thanks changingman.

> I went with three clear Hella FF1000's with
> heavy duty SS brackets similar to the OEM
> brackets.

Did you use the OEM wiring kit?

What are SS brackets? Where did you get them?

Sorry, but I don't know much about rally lights, except that I know what looks good to me. :smile:

Thanks,
Dan

Old 03-15-2004, 06:08 PM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
> I went with three clear Hella FF1000's with heavy
> duty SS brackets similar to the OEM brackets.

Any chance you have a picture? I'd love to see your setup.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:51 AM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
Wow, I just visited http://www.hellausa.com and found out that the FF1000's come in a Xenon variety! A big 7" wide.

And get this: Hella has something called the Rallye 4000 HID (high intensity discharge). This sucker seems to put out a *lot* of light. But it's 8" wide (possibly too wide) and seems to have a red ring (yuk!), instead of chrome.

At any rate, there's fun to be had.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:59 AM
CoopingInDC
3rd Gear
I used the Hella 150's, and love em!

Old 03-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Marcomini
2nd Gear
3 lights? How did you handle the center light, as my "S" has a plastic stiffener that prohibits the third mounting bracket ( it has to have a wider flange to bridge this piece).

I used the Mini-madness brackets which are substantially stronger and a heavier gauge material than teh OEM and PIAA brackets. Highly recommend tehm.

I also used KC Slimlites in chrome and they are 2-3/4" deep and about 6" in dia they look great. Price is also very right at about $160 a pair.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:09 PM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
I talked to Hella USA just now, and now I'm thinking of going with the FF1000 Xenons. Since I have the Mini Xenon headlights, Hella said getting halogen lights wouldn't do much against the xenons I already have.

(I'll check out PIAA too.)

I really like the 7" look!

Old 03-16-2004, 04:15 PM
changingman
1st Gear
Hello all.
In reference to your questions about my three light setup, I actually did not do the work myself, it is currently being completed at Otto's Mini of West Chester, PA. I posed the question to Joe and Hugo at Otto's of installing a rally light system that had more of that 60's retro look for my 2004 MCS that I had ordered in December. I first wanted four lights, then after seeing the Hella FF1000's I thought four were too much, so I went with the three. Three looked more like the setups found on the rally MC's of the 60's anyway. Joe and Hugo did the dirty work of selecting the lights, brackets, wiring, switch, etc.
The brackets are made of stanless steel (SS) and are similar to the OEM brackets, but are more heavy duty. I'm not sure how they mounted the middle light, I'll have to get back to you on that. I believe they used an OEM wiring harness. A Hella three way pull type switch is installed on the left side of an Euro parcel shelf, since I had no blanks available for OEM toggle switches. The middle light is mounted slightly higher than the outer two and is aimed straight. The outer two lights are aimed crisscrossed for curves. The lights are connected in conjunction with the high beams and I can have two outside lights on or all three on at once.
My car should be ready within the next two weeks, I'll post a photo or two then
Cheers, Harper.

Old 03-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
>>>Hella said getting halogen lights wouldn't do much against the xenons<<<

The Xenon's on the MINI are low beam only. The high beams are standard 55w halogen bulbs. The difference in light throw between these and the 55w driving lights is the quality of the lens and reflector. A good set of driving lights just focusses the light better.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
After a fantastic back-and-forth with Daniel Stern (www.danielsternlighting.com), my Cibie Oscars arrived (one driving beam, one spot beam) with a Hella wiring kit. The wiring kit has a really cool looking cutoff switch. 100 watt bulbs to be installed. Can't wait to light up the deer and antelope who frequent the very edge of the roadway.

While I was at it, I went nuts with other lights and bought brighter replacement lights for most of the other lights on the system.

Also bought replacement front turn signal lights so you can't see the amber in the light unless the light is actually flashing.

All of the both came from Daniel Stern. I can't recommend him enough. He knows how to take care of you when it comes to lighting with very personal service.

The OEM mounting bracket is on its way from Classic.

Then I just need to get the whole thing mounted, maybe at Randy's open house, if that happens.

Finally, although the driving lamps have a chrome ring, the Oscars have a painted black surface on the backside. Don't know if I'll leave that alone or chrome it.

Cheerio,
Dan

Last edited by DanStoren; 06-10-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Wave
1st Gear
I'd love to see pictures!!!

Old 06-23-2004, 04:39 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
Alta Lightbar

Here's another option for you. I just had it installed on my car and am quite pleased with it... http://www.altaminiperformance.com/p...r/lightbar.htm

Old 06-23-2004, 10:16 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DanStoren
Wow, I just visited http://www.hellausa.com and found out that the FF1000's come in a Xenon variety! A big 7" wide.
<snip>
I've been seriously contemplating these also. Hella has a full FF1000 (halogen) kit for the MINI now, including brackets. The HID version of the FF1000 appears to be the same size and shape has the halogen version, so mounting the lamps themselves should not be difficult. The ballasts, on the other hand, are another matter. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to mount those- I'm betting they would need to be attached to the underside of the bonnet somehow, perhaps in the area near the stock headlamp buckets if the output leads are long enough to allow it. I would definitely get the MINI OEM uprated bonnet struts also, given the extra weight these lamps will add to the lid.

Mounting aside, there are two more issues with the HID FF1000s that concern me. The first is the price tag. At $700+, I'd hate to step out to the car and find them pilfered. (Gotta check my insurance policy and see if these are covered!) Oh well, at least the ballasts are hidden; they might take 'em, but d***ed if they'll be able to use 'em!

The second concern has to do with the operating characteristics of HID lamps. I recall reading on another thread that any more than 3 start cycles in one hour on HID lamps can drastically reduce their useful life. I live in a fairly densely populated area, so most of the roads are not completely deserted here, even in the wee hours of the morning. Thus, I have to dim my brights fairly frequently- certainly more often than 3x/hour! It just wouldn't do to gaze upon the dazzled faces of oncoming drivers looking like this chap-

There's not much sense in me adding an option to my car if I can't use it much, but the idea of HID driving lamps is sooo tempting!

Last edited by indygomini; 06-23-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:44 AM
TB
3rd Gear
indygomini:

"Mounting aside, there are two more issues with the HID FF1000s that concern me. The first is the price tag. At $700+, I'd hate to step out to the car and find them pilfered. ... "

I was thinking about the same thing.

I guess that if someone really wants to steal something, it's next to impossible to stop them, but you can at least deter them.

How about using nylon locking nuts on mounting the lights to the brackets and, if you have enough of the threaded end left over (perhaps by using shallow nylocks), you can also use safety wire as well.

It won't flat out stop a determined thief, but it would either slow them down or make them go for a more easily stolen item on another car.

TB

Old 06-24-2004, 10:47 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know if the Alta four lamp bar can handle four Hella FF1000s?

IPF 968 dimensions: 7"h x 6.5"w x 3"d
Hella FF1000 dimensions: 7.75"h x 7"w x 4.875"d

Now that would be a sight!

Last edited by MGCMAN; 06-24-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 AM
jdemaria
2nd Gear
Try the Mini Madness lights. I am runny the 4-lamp lign up but the two is sweet as well.

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=83

Jarrad

Old 06-24-2004, 10:58 AM
AMPR
3rd Gear
If I recall correctly, the Alta lightbar can handle most any light up to a 6" diameter. I would have prefered to go the HID route but like most of you would prefer not find my $700+ lights missing or broken/vandalized.

Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Does anyone know if the Alta four lamp bar can handle four Hella FF1000s?

Now that would be a sight!