Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Need advice quick on windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:43 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Please help URGENT....need to know more about whether to use PPG or OEM replacement windshield. They tell me that a crack needs to be replaced, now I need to decide which one. Someone mentioned that PPG has stronger glass....please advise as I need to make arrangements tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2004, 10:28 PM
gomezmgg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had mine replaced @ 1800 miles!; if you have rain sensors (I do) you're SOL for a PPG replacement. There is a PPG replacement for the standard windshields. Mine was $375 installed. Have your glass shop check both part #'s when they order the part. If it's a rain sensor it's a MINI dealer part. My installer even gave the MINI dealer my VIN and they still sent the wrong peice. BTW mine was the result of a strong rock hit and not a stress related problem......................mgg

Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
On my fifth windshield. First four are the older MINI OEM design - they each lasted 2-3 months. My fifth windshield is from PPG and is now almost a year old with no problems.

OLD MINI windshields = crack prone
NEW MINI windshields = unknown real world durability
PPG = a track record of being more durable than the OLD MINI windshield.

If it were me, I'd get a PPG windshield and let some other MINI owners experiment with the NEW MINI replacement windshield.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
No Soup for MINIUSA

Go aftermarket (if able - rain sensor thing) I've had PPG for about a year and 20,000 miles - Very happy.

Refuse to pay MINIUSA for anymore OEM glass, until they come clean about the TIS Bulletin and the cause.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:43 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
SIXTH WINDSHIELD-ALL REPLACED UNDER WARRENTEE,2 MONTHS ON THE (FIRST)"NEW" WINDSHIELD:4 SOLID HITS(ROCKS) - NO CRACKS!(I'M FAST BECOMING A BELIEVER.)IF I HAD TO PAY FOR ONE, I THINK I WOULD GO WITH PPG
PURELY BECAUSE MINI SEEMS TO THINK IT'S OK TO CHARGE OUTRAGEOUS SUMS FOR OEM ($750-900!?*&#@)

Old 04-15-2004, 09:03 PM
ultramini
2nd Gear
>>SIXTH WINDSHIELD-ALL REPLACED UNDER WARRENTEE,2 MONTHS ON THE (FIRST)"NEW" WINDSHIELD:4 SOLID HITS(ROCKS) - NO CRACKS!(I'M FAST BECOMING A BELIEVER.)IF I HAD TO PAY FOR ONE, I THINK I WOULD GO WITH PPG
>>PURELY BECAUSE MINI SEEMS TO THINK IT'S OK TO CHARGE OUTRAGEOUS SUMS FOR OEM ($750-900!?*&#@)

Where I can find the PPG windsheild. A rock hit my windshield and cause about inch wide crack. Do I need to replace soon? My insurance will charge me $250 for deductible. I am not sure if i want to replace now or later.

UltraMINI

Old 04-15-2004, 09:16 PM
gomezmgg
3rd Gear
I didn't go to MINI dealer for mine, I have a friend that manages a glass shop. But as I said in earlier post I still had to go with a MINI rainsensor and that is a dealer part only. Check with any auto glass shop you trust for a replacement. But you won't find a PPG replacement for the rainsensor windshield.................mgg

Old 04-16-2004, 04:08 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
Where I can find the PPG windsheild. A rock hit my windshield and cause about inch wide crack. Do I need to replace soon? My insurance will charge me $250 for deductible. I am not sure if i want to replace now or later.>>UltraMINI
If the crack is away from the edges of the glass and less then 6 inches they may be able to repair it. Epoxy and UV light method, of which I have no point of reference with, never had it done but others say it’s fine. All the local shops here offer this and most insurance companies will pay to repair without applying your deductible.

If the crack goes to the edge or disappears under the trim you're SOL and will have to replace. Mine would have ran $274 if paid out of pocket. Only way to know if they have PPG is to call your local shops and ask.

BTW, once replaced I dropped my deductible to zero of glass, cost me $46 more per year.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:22 AM
retrohasen
2nd Gear
I got my PPG glass from Safelite. It is holding up great, so far.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:50 PM
bkcarrera
1st Gear

I caught a rock and watched a 2" bottom crack take a riight turn for another 2".
It's in the center at the bottom so I paid $50 to have the moble glass guy (Novus) do his thing. Ok till I really crack it.