Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior My Custom Valentine One remote display install!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004 | 12:32 PM
d2mini
|
5th Gear
With pics and instructions!!!

V1 Remote Install

Old 03-31-2004 | 01:01 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
What is cooperspeed.com. Not another forum!!! Great this is going to take away more time that I need for work.

Old 03-31-2004 | 01:06 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Now all you need is a real custom install like the ones in the mirrors or hidden within the speedo. That would be cool

Old 03-31-2004 | 01:06 PM
d2mini
|
5th Gear
haha ya. I would have posted the pics here too, but i couldn't cross post the pics. So the link was easier than trying to upload somewhere else again. :smile:

Old 03-31-2004 | 01:59 PM
CornOnTheCob
2nd Gear
I think I'm confused or ignorant. Besides in Virginia, where detectors are illegal, what is the purpose of hiding the display? I see that the high end detectors have these remote displays, I'm just failing to see the benefits.

Somebody please enlighten me. :smile:

Old 03-31-2004 | 02:11 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I think people do not want other people tailgaiting them because they can see taht you have a radar detector at night. The detector still needs to be installed on the windshield if you have the remote display.

I have a V1 and wouldn't even consider a remote display. If someone is tailgaiting me, I will simply move over, slow down for 10 seconds and let them move on ahead to be my minesweeper

That being said, great job on the custom install.

SE Regional, BAMA Club Moderator: PM me

Old 03-31-2004 | 02:12 PM
atn57
4th Gear
I decided to put it below and to the right of the speedomoter. This puts in easy sight and reach, especially if your hand is already on the shifter. And it does half it's job which is to keep the blinky red lights out of view of the cars driving behind you. Here is a pic of the proposed location.

there you go

nice good job on the custom location.......

tony

Old 03-31-2004 | 02:32 PM
d2mini
|
5th Gear
haha, ya thanks guys. :smile:

purpose of the remote...

1. Keeps the blinking lights out of view of cars behind you (when the remote is attached, it turns off the lights on the main unit) so people don't tail you relying on YOUR detector. Makes things a little more stealth. Especially if a cop is behind you, doh! :smile:

Old 03-31-2004 | 03:35 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
her is mine

remote

Old 03-31-2004 | 05:01 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Just a little curious still about the purpose of the remote. I know when i didnt have a radar, i used to find cars with them, and then follow them. But i wasnt watching their blinking lights, i just knew that they would slow down if the thing went off, so when they slammed on their brakes i would follow along. So it doesnt seem to help much, people could still tail you . It's not that expensive and looks cool so it cant be that big of a deal.

Old 03-31-2004 | 05:51 PM
d2mini
|
5th Gear
Well if the lights aren't blinking (and there is one red light - the "L" in my pics - that's on all the time without the remote) then the chances of someone knowing you have a remote is much less, especially if you have tinted windows. But i think i like the "ease of reach" benefit of it since you always want to mute the beep once it's picked up a signal. Especially if someone else is in the car. And now my wife can't complain because it's REALLY easy for her to reach.

Old 04-01-2004 | 06:51 PM
KerMini
3rd Gear
Nice installation. I took my dash apart and considered every possible location and was disappointed at how little room there was. I too took my remote apart and deliberated on placement. Your placement didn't occur to me, very creative. I opted for something closer to where my eyes would normally be while driving. In addition I chose to place my V1 to the right of the mirror. With the use of the remote, the display of the main unit is unimportant. By tucking the main unit behind and to the right of the mirror I felt it made the unit more discrete. If I do get stopped I hope the main (made dark by the remote) will be hidden somewhat by the mirror, thereby less likely to invite the cop's wrath. Check out my photos here: V1 install

B/B MCS w/Black interior, Custom leather, 1,2,3, H/K, rain, Custom Bonnet/Boot Stripes, Aero Grille, Centerline Excel's w Yoko AVS ES 100, Alta Exhuast, Rogue shift, H Sport springs, Madness Sway, ProMini Control arms, V1 w/ remote....

Old 04-01-2004 | 07:16 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Hey KerMini, that's where I put my remote! At night, it just fades into the background and all you see are the lights.

While I think that d2mini's install is fantastic, it's more involved than what I'd do for myself.

Nice job d2mini!

Old 04-01-2004 | 08:05 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
really good installation pictures. how long is your cable from the V1 to the power?
I wired my into a-pillar to the lighter. the wires is not longer enough.

Old 04-01-2004 | 08:39 PM
d2mini
|
5th Gear
Kermini, I think we spoke over email? I decided not to install where you did (although visually speaking it was on the very top of my list) due to the fact you have to reach around the steering wheel or thru the middle which both felt very akward to me. So I sadly had to look for a different spot. Just personal preference.

Chris, you should tap into the green power wire of the OBD port behind the knee bolster under the steering wheel near the fuse box. It will leave you with plenty of wire.

Old 04-02-2004 | 12:21 PM
KerMini
3rd Gear
>>Kermini, I think we spoke over email? I decided not to install where you did (although visually speaking it was on the very top of my list) due to the fact you have to reach around the steering wheel or thru the middle which both felt very akward to me. So I sadly had to look for a different spot. Just personal preference.
>>
Don't be sad, you did an excellent job and you haven't offended me. I wish I could have gotten a more flush install as you did.

Old 04-02-2004 | 12:36 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
how long is your cable from the V1 to the power?
I wired my into a-pillar to the lighter. the wires is not longer enough.
Just so everyone knows, you can use any length of ordinary telephone cable to power a V1. I just did a hidden wire installation with a 10 or 12 foot length of generic telephone cord that cost about $2