Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior I need help with the logos/decals

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:44 PM
spoonleg
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I have a center racing stripe that looks like such:

As you can see in the photo, the dealer has cut my stripe around the front decal. They did the same on the back, and it looks TERRIBLE. You can't really see in the photo, but it is awful.

Recently I had some damage occur on the bonnet of my car, causing it to be repainted and the stripe replaced. I asked the body shop if this time aorund they would remove the decal, place the stripe and replace the decal. He said no, that was impossible. I could either de-badge and have a continuity with the stripe, or they could do a similar job of cutting around this.

Has anyone done this? I have seen center stripes like mine with decals intact. Is there something I could use to make mine stick on after applying the stripe? What is a good solution to this problem?

Old 04-05-2004, 09:58 PM
MINIHOLLAND
2nd Gear

Man!!!

That looks terrible,

I'm a signmaker over here in Holland and i would shame myself if i have done this kind a work,
I've done similar striping on a Mini and it is easy to just cut it nice and clean around the badge.

The guy who put this on your car ain't a pro i think.

I've noticed they forgotton some pieces of the striping on your grill an a piece between your window washers
That ain't very nice either.

I would ask for a refund and then take your car to a pro signmaker

Good luck

Greetzzzz MiniHolland

Old 04-05-2004, 10:05 PM
spoonleg
6th Gear
Yes, I was very disappointed with this work. The back looks even WORSE if you can believe it, cut around the decal. It looks like a 2nd grader's scissor skills. And the areas where there is a break in the stripe aren't even cut straight across. They can't even cut a straight line.

This was done by the dealership 4 months ago. They would not fix the problem because I signed a waiver stating they were not responsible for mistakes. Luckily, the insurance company is reimbursing me for the cost of the stripe so I have the opportunity to get it placed CORRECTLY this time. Do you think if I ask the guy at the body shop to cut around the decals that they will do a better job? I don't see how it can be done without letting some of the paint color show through (as has been done above). I think it's ugly. And I also dislike how they skipped the grill section. I will have that repaired as well. Overall, a crappy job was done initially, but I thought the dealership could do a good a job as any! Silly me.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:33 AM
MINIHOLLAND
2nd Gear

I don't know what kind of vinyl they are using but if you have the right type (3m Series 100 or Avery series 900)

It is absolutely no problem to cut nice and clean around the badge without seeing any of the body color.

I have done 4 Union jack cars like in the movie Austin Powers and then i also had to cut around the badges,
And i haven't got any complaints yet!

And you say there are cutting lines in the stripes on places you don't want them???

The stripes have got to be in one piece without any cuts in them,
It is so easy to put it nicely on the car you can make little piece of the stripe by making sure that the cutting lines are on the end of you bonnet or hood or grill or anything like that.

When they do that you have a nice looking car.

I'm sorry i liv so far away or else i would put them on for you

Well the best of luck with it

Greetzzz MiniHolland

Old 04-11-2004, 05:41 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
I don't see why the body shop couldn't remove the badge, apply the stripe, and remount the badge. The badge is a stick on with double-side tape. There are 2 pins to help align it.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:12 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's amazing that they can do decent body work if the stripe application is typical of their work. I'm not sure how tough it would be to cut exactly around the emblem but it should be no problem at all to remount the emblem with double sided tape that is made just for this. There is also a special adhesive made especially for trim attachment. There's no reason to live with that shoddy work.

R.E.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
The badges are EASILY removed as they are only held on the car with double sided tape and two guide pins. The front badge is easier to remove than the rear.
(1)Use some strong dental floss and run it under the badge until you can pull it off.
(2)Clean any residue left on the car with an alcohol/water mixture.
(3) Apply Stripes
(4)Any good body shop or car supply store should have the same type of adhesived neded when you go to reapply the badge after the stripes are installed.

I hope this helps -

Matt@coopeflags.com
http://www.cooperflags.com

Old 04-11-2004, 08:42 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
>>The badges are EASILY removed as they are only held on the car with double sided tape and two guide pins. The front badge is easier to remove than the rear.
>>(1)Use some strong dental floss and run it under the badge until you can pull it off.
>>(2)Clean any residue left on the car with an alcohol/water mixture.
>>(3) Apply Stripes
>>(4)Any good body shop or car supply store should have the same type of adhesived neded when you go to reapply the badge after the stripes are installed.

Good instruction, Matt!

If the weather is cold, use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften the adhesive and facilitate removal of the badge.