Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior interior mod for iPod users

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004 | 06:23 PM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
Below is a link showing a picture of a bracket a welder made for me for mounting an iPod in a cool spot. It looks nice and requires no drilling. If anyone is interested in getting one, let me know and I'll see if I can get a deal on a bunch of them. He charged me $75 bucks since it was a one-off job, but I'm sure I could find someone to make a bunch for cheaper.

PS: I posted something similar in "audio" but I think this fits both places. Please moderate if I'm mistaken. JR

http://home.comcast.net/~johnryland/...tos.html-.html

Old 04-12-2004 | 11:23 PM
movieman
4th Gear
I like it! If I had an iPod, I'd definitely want one of these. Maybe before too long I'll take the plunge.

Old 04-13-2004 | 12:11 PM
chollomo
4th Gear
does it fit gen 2 ipods? and would it be possible to get your friend to do a custom one with a bracket on the other side as well? for a cell phone?

Old 04-13-2004 | 01:58 PM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
Chollomo: The one in my car was made for the latest generation "regular" iPod (not the iPod Mini). I have a 20 GB, and I hear the 40 gig is a little deeper. Because of the way the guy measured, mine would probably fit a 40 gig as well. The welder is not my friend, by the way, just a guy at a welding shop, but I'm sure he could make one like that. I made the guy a template out of cardboard, and he welded the piece with aluminum. I had to do some bending to get it just right, but the next one should be just right. Let me know if you need some help or want me to look into getting one made for you. I'd have to see a pic of your phone, though, with measurements. JR

Old 04-13-2004 | 02:08 PM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
That is a *sweet* setup! I've been looking for a decent looking iPod mount for a long time. Does anybody happen to know where you can get a mount for the side pillars on the center console? :smile:

Old 04-13-2004 | 02:27 PM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
I think the ProClip that comes with the iceLink is a pillar mount. There are probably others. Try a search in the Audio forum. I like mine because it's very accessible and in your line of sight. But mostly because it looks cool. JR

Old 04-13-2004 | 03:00 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Yes - ProClip is a pillar mount. I have got the one that came with the ICE-link, but you can also buy them separately. Check out ProClip USA Homepage

Old 04-13-2004 | 03:01 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
I like it, just unsure how accesible the iPOD would be from behind the steering wheel. Would be a reach for the buttons. I think I dig the pillar mount much more, though, its out of the line of sight there. Hmmmm, where to put it for easy accesibility and line of sight?

I say, mount it to the steering wheel (the top of course)!! Oh wait, that wouldn't work. Hmmmmm, what about a pillar kind of setup?

Old 04-13-2004 | 03:10 PM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
It's actually very accessible. About as accessible as the wiper control. Everything's right there at your thumbtip. The thing I thought would be a drawback was visibility (as in, the steering wheel would block the screen) but it doesn't unless you're turning the wheel a lot, at which point, you wouldn't be messing with the iPod anyway. So, we're good to go, right. Who wants one?

Old 04-13-2004 | 03:22 PM
SkAlex
4th Gear
Any ideas on how this mighty work on a Nav-equipped MINI?

Old 04-13-2004 | 04:11 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
Extremely nice with what looks like brilliant quality. Good Job! :smile:

Old 04-13-2004 | 05:00 PM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
The nav-equipped one would be tricky, but I might be able to figure it out if I had a picture. It's possible that the pillar mount or other type would be best for Nav cars. It might work in between the two pods resting on the dash, but accessibility could be an issue, unless, of course you were using the iceLink in conjunction with your MFSW. I'll look for some pics. And thanks for the kind words, ncdave! It was a fun project. JR

Old 04-13-2004 | 06:15 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
ok, I can see the point.

I'm sold! How does it mount and is there a way to snake the cable up thar?

Old 04-13-2004 | 06:56 PM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
How does it mount? You just take out the two Torx bolts that hold the tach on the steering column, put the mount in place and re-secure the bolts. My goal was to make it so I didn't have to drill holes in the dash. Success! As for cables, I made the piece based on pictures of how the iceLink cables run (one in the top and the firewire cable in the bottom. Haven't been able to get my iceLink yet, though to figure out the least visible way to run cables. I think they'll hardly be noticeable when the iPod is in the holder, and I can probably add a tab on the back of the mount to secure the cables when not using the iPod. I'll keep you posted on getting some more made. JR

Old 04-14-2004 | 10:37 PM
Way
2nd Gear
Nice! Let us know the price and when they might be available! I have a 10G iPod with the mechanical scroll wheel so it's thicker than the newer generation iPods.

Old 04-14-2004 | 10:45 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
That's a very nice mount, I like it a lot. Now I wonder, does anyone think it would be possible to somehow get the iPod to interface with the MFSW buttons? That way you can control it like you do the CD player??? That would be truly awesome :smile:

Old 04-14-2004 | 10:56 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
well too bad I have the nav. Looks good though.

Old 04-15-2004 | 05:33 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
This is an excellent mod I may PM you later about it. I see your form richmond I'm up in dc so getting you soem spec might be very easy.

Old 04-15-2004 | 01:41 PM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
Zamirz: this was made with the ICELink 1.0 in mind that lets you do just what you're talking about, however, it works with iTrip, Belkin etc. FM transmitters, aux inputs, & whatnot, too.

To read about ICELink go to http://www.dension.com

HOWEVER: I went to order mine a couple days ago and found that their new version includes a mount with built-in dock. A thread was posted about it earlier. Pretty cool setup, but IMHO, it's not as sleek looking as mine. The cool thing about the new ICELink 1.1is that you don't have to remove the stereo. Sounds like a simple plug & play using the CD changer plugs and a very long cable to run to the front of the car where the cradle is. Supposedly, in May, they will have a cable of the same length that doesn't have the cradle attached to it. Basically a very long firewire cable for use with other mounts. I'll buy mine then. When I do, I'll have:

iPod mounted on steering column with my mount with just one cable running to the bottom of it, providing power, and a link to my stereo with use of MFSW! I'm psyched.

I'll keep you posted on the mount (costs/etc.) so tell your friends if you're interested. The more the merrier and the cheaper. JR

Old 04-16-2004 | 09:39 AM
mross04
1st Gear
You want to see a SWEET custom install of an iPod, check out the pix in this personal gallery.

NAM Personal Gallery

Old 04-16-2004 | 09:59 AM
movieman
4th Gear
Wow!

Old 04-16-2004 | 11:24 AM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
That's insanity! Insanity I tell you! And you can create playlists by turning the hazards on and typing morse code with the e-brake button.

Old 04-16-2004 | 01:07 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Wow that is amazing. Just 3 months ago I thought my ICE-link was cool. Now I'm learning that not only do I have a lame, out of date "version 1.0" ICE-link , but I don't even have a scroll wheel mounted in my cupholder. What'll they think of next?

Old 04-17-2004 | 07:07 PM
grendalsiii
1st Gear
mross
Sweet install-how bout some details-where does the harddrive sit?
How did you link the display,harddrive and scroll wheel and how do you upload music, charge the little devil,etc... how did you get the orange backlight?

or are you marketing this mini ipod mod or minipod

Old 04-19-2004 | 07:40 AM
Jayar
|
3rd Gear
I don't know anything about that install. See if you can reply to his post on mini2. pretty amazing.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior interior mod for iPod users