Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior PIAA Amber colored High-beams: Great lighting mod! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently installed a special set of PIAA Ion Cystal H7 bulbs in my MINI's highbeams.

They produce significantly more light than the stock bulbs and the amber color seems not to distract oncoming traffic, allowing me to drive with highbeams most of the time while not bothering other motorists.

I also think the amber light they produce is fantastic, and a nice throwback to the old days when european cars had amber colored highbeams.

Some people believe that amber lighting is best for rainy, foggy condition, so this might be a mod that many of you would be interested in. They used to be required in some european countries.

The PIAA Ion Crystal H7 bulbs put out 100watts of light while only drawing the same 55watts that the standard stock bulbs use.

Certainly something different and I think on my BRG they look particularly fantastic.

Here is a somewhat blurry photo to show what they look like

I got them from http://www.autothing.com/catalog/pia...bs_1395090.htm

They are a little expensive at $110, but definitely way cheaper than auxillary driving/rally lights.

Also, my rally lights have been upgraded from 55watt bulbs to 85 watt PIAA Xtreme White bulbs that put out 135 watts of light. Again, a huge improvement over the standard 55w bulbs that come with the PIAA 540 kit. That's why they look brigher than the other lights on my MINI.

Neither of these upgraded bulbs will fry the stock harness or the PIAA harness and I suspect that I am now putting out more light than those who have 4 rally lights with standard bulbs.

YuccaPatrol (Lightest and Brightest in Alabama)

SE Regional, BAMA Club Moderator: PM me

Old 04-13-2004, 07:22 PM
FraserBonnett
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>They are a little expensive at $110, but definitely way cheaper than auxillary driving/rally lights.

$110 Surely you jest?!

Old 04-13-2004, 07:33 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Great Pics... I like the Amber... looks nice.

anyone have any photos of the PIAA fog lights (daytime photo)?

Old 04-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Yucca Patrol
$110 Surely you jest?!
Not joking at all. a pair of these bulbs really does go for over $100 !

My upgraded 85watt H3 bulbs for my rally lights put out 135watts of light apiece and they are just a little cheaper than these.

PIAA's technology that produces almost twice the light from the same wattage bulbs as stock doesnt come cheap

Quite simply, they are the finest amber colored highbeam bulbs on earth and the light they produce is fantastic! Well worth the money if seeing at night without bothering other motorists is important.

Plus, of course, the look really really cool, and as far as I know, I am the only MINI that has them!

Nanny Nanny Boo Boo! I've got brighter lights than you!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:02 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yucca,

What dost the DOT sayeth regarding yon amber orbs?

Old 04-14-2004, 01:44 PM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
>>I recently installed a special set of PIAA Ion Cystal H7 bulbs in my MINI's highbeams.
>>
>>They produce significantly more light than the stock bulbs and the amber color seems not to distract oncoming traffic, allowing me to drive with highbeams most of the time while not bothering other motorists.

Do you live in the country?? Because most people are bothered by High Beams, regardless what color it is.

And if not in the country, what's the purpose of always having the high's on anyway?

Old 04-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
I think they look cool. I don't think I would drive around all the time with my highbeams on just because of the bulb wear/tear.

That being said I am now wondering if I can juice up the bulbs in my OEM rally lights to something brighter???? Anyone know if this can be done?

Old 04-14-2004, 03:37 PM
H&J
3rd Gear
How long do they last compared with the OEMs???

Old 04-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Yucca Patrol
What dost the DOT sayeth regarding yon amber orbs?
The DOT does not approve of these, but they are standard wattage bulbs. I do know that they definitely do not approve of my up-rated bulbs in my rally lights. I will carry my extra bulbs with me in my travel kit just in case.

However, with so many people going for the fake HID look with those glaring blue/purple blubs, I doubt that anyone is ever going to question me on them since those that write tickets for illegal bulbs are looking for a different color. If questioned, I will say they are fog lights that I must have inadvertently turned on.

I read an article about how colors of light affect the human eye, and the hotter blue/xenon colors are preceived to be more glaring to the eye than cooler yellow even if the actual brightness of the 2 bulbs are the same.

Knowing that my standard highbeams have always gotten flash warnings from oncoming traffic when I have forgotten to turn them off, I started experimenting to see if people would flash me with the ambers that are actually brighter. Not a single person has done so. I have also looked at them from a distance and was not incredibly bothered by them at all. They almost seem to cancel out the glare of the xenons.

That being said I am now wondering if I can juice up the bulbs in my OEM rally lights to something brighter???? Anyone know if this can be done?
Do you know what type bulb is used in the factory lights? You might be pleased with some of PIAA's bulbs in their Xtreme White series. Many of their bulbs draw the same amount of current but produce more light than standard bulbs. So you could go with a standard wattage bulb but get a bit more light out of them. I just don't know if the stock wiring is up to the task of handling uprated wattage bulbs although PIAA told me that their wiring could handle the 85watt H3's

SE Regional, BAMA Club Moderator: PM me

Old 04-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Hunter
3rd Gear
Okay, it's stupid question time.

This is NOT something you can use with the Xenons, right? I have never actually had a car yet with Xenons and I was looking forward to getting a MINI with them.

The way Xenons work, is there the same concept of a replacement bulb or something better from the after market?

Old 04-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Yucca Patrol
Not a stupid question. I would have wondered the same before getting xenons

The xenon lights are for regular beams only and use an ordinary halogen bulb for the highbeams. So you can use these amber bulbs (or other improved aftermarket bulbs) with the xenons.

Old 04-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Hunter
3rd Gear
Cool!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:41 PM
H&J
3rd Gear
Well, I love the idea. I had bright, aux, amber Hellas mounted below the front bumper of my old Golf in Colorado. In snow storms and fog it was amazing how the amber punctured the weather and improved visibility. Plus the low mount gave more visual relief for chuck holes, snow mounds, etc.

I'm getting some. Thanks for the post. :smile:

Old 04-15-2004, 12:43 PM
H&J
3rd Gear
I'd be interested in a night photo of your Mini side by side another Mini without the amber PIAAs, both cars with the brights on and about 200' away...

Old 04-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Yucca Patrol
I'll be able to take that photo in about a week when MINIclo is visiting me.

I'd like to see the side by side comparison as well

Old 04-15-2004, 01:48 PM
NRX13
2nd Gear
I sometimes use my day time running lamps as regular lamps when im on long very dark roads. I find that they shoot out farther, but dimmer, than my regular lights. Brights seem to light up to much of the road and hurt oncoming traffics eyes, but i havent noticed anyone getting pissed off at the DTRL when im passing oncoming traffic. Seems they use a dimmer amber color, what system do they run on? Brights or regular lights or their own?

Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 PM
number_twelve
2nd Gear
They look really cool, and would prolly work well with the DRL's.
After living in Germany for 3 years, and being used to their courteous habits of using fog or auxilary lighting ONLY in bad weather, I would not like driving past you!
But on the other hand, I guess everybody in th states drives with every possible light on if they have them, so I'm thinking I'll go buy a light rack for the roof of my car!
I know a guy who carries a 1 million candlewatt spotlight in his car for jerkies who don't dim their high beams!! He says all you see is their white teeth as they shreak from the bright light. Disclaimer: Do not attempt this, you may get hit head on by the poor bloke who you decide to try this on!

Old 08-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Yucca Patrol
Originally Posted by number_twelve
They look really cool, and would prolly work well with the DRL's.
After living in Germany for 3 years, and being used to their courteous habits of using fog or auxilary lighting ONLY in bad weather, I would not like driving past you!
But on the other hand, I guess everybody in th states drives with every possible light on if they have them, so I'm thinking I'll go buy a light rack for the roof of my car!
I know a guy who carries a 1 million candlewatt spotlight in his car for jerkies who don't dim their high beams!! He says all you see is their white teeth as they shreak from the bright light. Disclaimer: Do not attempt this, you may get hit head on by the poor bloke who you decide to try this on!
I haven't considered using the amber colored lights for DRL's .. . but then I have xenons. Might work well for those without the xenons?

Old 08-05-2005, 06:16 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Yucca you have confused me because aren't the hi beam and the DRL's using the same bulb?

Art

Old 08-07-2005, 08:50 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
Yucca,

Will the extreme whites work in the OEM MINI rally lights?

Old 08-07-2005, 09:49 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Aquasar
Yucca you have confused me because aren't the hi beam and the DRL's using the same bulb?
Yep. The DRLs are your high beams at half power. Same lamps, same bulbs.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:57 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
Yep. The DRLs are your high beams at half power. Same lamps, same bulbs.
yep, im running super whites on my DRL's.

i have a couple of H3's in ion crystal which are waiting to replace the hyper blue in the PIAA540's... haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:15 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
PIAA's technology that produces almost twice the light from the same wattage bulbs as stock doesnt come cheap
Not true at all, at least according to Daniel Stern. See http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...uperwhite.html

Last edited by chows4us; 06-06-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:21 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Do you know what type bulb is used in the factory lights? You might be pleased with some of PIAA's bulbs in their Xtreme White series. Many of their bulbs draw the same amount of current but produce more light than standard bulbs. So you could go with a standard wattage bulb but get a bit more light out of them. I just don't know if the stock wiring is up to the task of handling uprated wattage bulbs although PIAA told me that their wiring could handle the 85watt H3's
Factory driving lights are H3s. Going PIAA in those lights will result in Less light, not more ... just a different color. See my previous post (at least according to Daniel Stern). They do not produce "more Light"

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...uperwhite.html

Last edited by chows4us; 06-06-2007 at 02:51 PM.