Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior shift light

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:59 PM
minicoop78
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know of one that works and any other info you can offer

Old 04-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of them work, but they seem somewhat useless considering that you should simply shift somewhere below redline where you feel most comfortable. Your MINI has a rev limiter that will prevent you from going beyond redline, so I really would not worry about it. You can also consider the illuminated redline on the tach to be a good indicator for where the maximum rpm you can shift at.

Just shift when it feels right and save your money for a more useful mod.

http://www.modacar.com/products/Mini/Cooper/ShiftLite/

here is one that is said to work on the mini.

SE Regional, BAMA Club Moderator: PM me

Old 04-14-2004, 12:22 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the Gtech pro and it has a amazing shift lite setup as well as all the other info it gives you. Many argue that the torque and hp ratings are not " accurate " or the timed 1/4 mile and 0 to 60 times but I feel they are close enough to let you know if your modifications are going in the correct direction. If i bought it just for the shift lite function alone it would have been worth the 250. It is a sequential lite with 4 seperate red LEDS that are so brite they will lite up the cabin at night . The first goes off 600 rpm below red line, the second 400 , third 200 and then al l4 blink at redline which you set .It plugs into your cig lighter and that is the only connection. I cut my plug off and hard wired it under the dash. There are 3 acceleromoters in the unit and they measure all motion. I have the side to side g force set at .9 so when i see the light go off in a turn I know things are getting serious and I better be aware. Anyway this is just a small sampling of what it can do oh ya i almost forgot you ca nstore up to 10 runs in it , take it out and plug it into your pc and download the info and print out charrts etc.Tons of fun LOL .I don't have a good picture of it in my car but in this one you can just see it peeking over the top of the sterring wheel.Here is the link, ask any questions you want and I will try to answer them.Randy
http://www.gtechpro.com/Page Title g tech home page

Old 04-14-2004, 12:28 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the g-tech pro is one sweet gadget and definitely on my wish list, even though I was just bad-mouthing shift lights.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LOl i u7nderstand and agree with you . I have a autometer shift lite as well which i got before the Gtech. Now that is no where a usefull as the g tech. My initial reason for getting a shift lite in the first place was actually for canyon running. I would find myself concentrating so hard on the road ahead that i would be higher in the rev range than i realized, the curve would open up and I would try for more gas and hit the rev limiter and lose all my momentum. Now when i see that first bulb I know I am getting into the upper reaches of the rpm range and If i want much more i have to shift. That alone is worth it to me and everything else is gravy. Randy

Old 04-16-2004, 01:15 AM
minicoop78
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys