Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior MCS exhaust on MC

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 04:46 AM
Rabboeni
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

A good friend gave me his MCS exhaust, because he just bought another kind of exhaust. I really like the MCS exhaust and now I'm struggeling to mount the MCS exhaust on my MC.

So far, I bought several things, but I still haven't found out, how to make the extra pot, get mounted on the bottom.

Does anybody have some good ideas on what extra items I need to go to the mcs exhaust.

Page Title

Old 04-18-2004, 09:25 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Why the MCS exhaust on the MC? I don't think you'll get much gains and its just plain tacky when people try to make their car something its not...but if you like the looks then go for it!

Old 04-19-2004, 05:07 AM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Hey, free exhaust? I see your motivation.

doesn't the MC have a spare wheel well in the way where our battery box is? Is that a removeable part?

good luck!

Old 04-19-2004, 08:43 PM
number_twelve
2nd Gear
Maybe the one ball mod would ease the installation, plus give you a little noise increase.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:09 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
Hm. I had actually been thinking about going the other way. A quick recipe for a Sleeper S:

1) install a Webb Motorsports front-mounted intercooler.
2) Since the bonnet scoop opening is no longer functional, fit a Cooper bonnet.
3) Fit a Cooper high-flow catback system, i.e. Helix, and a Cooper rear valence.
4) (optional) swap the Cooper S badging and side marker grilles for Cooper parts.

For the truly devious, Cooper ONE badging could be substituted.

Image the surprise on the face of the next shopping-cart ricer driver when the MINI in the next lane suddenly has way more scoot than it ought!

The only drawback I can see is that an exhaust system designed for the normally-aspirated Cooper might compromise the performance of the incognito S.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2004, 10:17 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Hey, free exhaust? I see your motivation.
>>
>>doesn't the MC have a spare wheel well in the way where our battery box is? Is that a removeable part?
>>
>>good luck!
>>
>>

I doubt it would work. The spare is in the way and while the battery is in the same position on the S, it's pretty tight under there and the tire is bigger. Not to metion you would have to attach new hangers. Plus a new rear valance... Oh yeah, the back-up lights may have to move as well with the new valance... The next thing you know, you have a "not so free" exhaust system that performs no better than stock.

File under: "More trouble than it's worth"

Old 04-22-2004, 11:23 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
rabboeni,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.
This topic has been discussed both ways before. Using an MCS (or other dual) exhaust on an MC and using an MC (or other single) exhaust on a MCS.

>>A good friend gave me his MCS exhaust, because he just bought another kind of exhaust. I really like the MCS exhaust and now I'm struggeling to mount the MCS exhaust on my MC.

Just because you have the MCS exhaust part doesn't mean that is it usable for your MC. What specifically do you like about the MCS exhaust? It is extremely heavy at 44 pounds. It doesn't really give much power or sound aggressive compared to other dual systems. JCW kit exhaust is a totally different matter. Or do you just like the dual exhaust look and center tail pipes?

>>So far, I bought several things, but I still haven't found out, how to make the extra pot, get mounted on the bottom.
>>
>>Does anybody have some good ideas on what extra items I need to go to the mcs exhaust.
The first good idea is to forget about doing this stock MCS exhaust in an MC. It's not easy to do and won't be of any performance advantage for you. The engine of an MC and MCS are different so the backpressure requirements are also different and the MC needs some backpressure to allow the engine to provide optimal power. Therefore when you add an exhaust that was never designed for the MC (like a generic one or this MCS exhaust) you may indeed loose power.
It won't sound like an MCS although it might look similar.

You'd have to either cut the MCS exhaust to make it fit and remove the rear valence on the MC to switch it to the center opening or get a rear bumper from an MCS. Lots of work and cost there. You'd loose your rear spare and gain alot of weight which won't help performance.

See also
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=19529
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=23871
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=5527