Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been my experience that most options in a car are just about totally installed in every car. For example, I had a 96 Dodge Avenger that had the option for fog lamps. All I had to do was install the lamps, relay and get the stock switch. The wiring was already there.

So... What about the rear fog lamps on a '04 MCS? The lamps are there from what I can tell (from tail light mod). So all that is needed is the switch right? And maybe a relay in the fuse box.

Which brings me to another question. Anyone know if the toggle switch comes with the aftermarket lighting kits such as driving lights or fog lamps?

No personal mods... yet.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:27 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Nevermind about the rear fog lamps. Figured out why MINI charges so much after the fact. They are replacing the rear lens covers as well.

Still curious to know if the toggle switch comes with the other aftermarket lighting kits though.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:36 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
The toggle switch doesn't come with any of the lighing kits except the front and rear fog light kits. The switch for the driving lights doesn't go into the toggle panel. Usually it is placed on the knee bolster to the left of the steering wheel.

As for what the dealer does for the rear fogs... There aren't any modifications made to the rear fog lights that are already in the car. The new switch panel is dropped in and the software in the car is adjusted to activate the lights...

You can (and many here have) install the toggle switch yourself, however you still have to go to the dealer to make the neccessary changes to the software, that part can only be done by the dealer.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:15 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Pretty sure the lens covers have to be changed. The section of the lens for the rear fog lamps is red normally, and they change it to a clear one for the fog lamp section. or somethign like that. Remember reading about it in the options and accessories catalog.

Software change to eh? Interesting. Forgot about the toggle panel as well having the little indicator. Might be nice knowing what that toggle is for. :smile:

Old 04-26-2004, 07:25 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
The rear fog lamps are red...

There's a change if you have the clear tail lamps...

Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
The rear fog lamps are red?!? By design!? Freaky! Guess I'll just go with the brake light mod and be happy.

Knew I remembered something about changing the lens. :smile:

Old 04-26-2004, 08:12 AM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
>>The rear fog lamps are red?!? By design!? Freaky!

What color did you expect them to be????

Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
White, or perhaps yellow. Like the front ones. They are fog lamps afterall, not brake lights or reverse lights.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:27 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
>>White, or perhaps yellow. Like the front ones. They are fog lamps afterall, not brake lights or reverse lights.

They are red vice white so you don't blind anyone. They are not used for you to see but so that you can be seen by other drivers coming up behind you in the fog and rain. :smile:

Old 04-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
>>They are red vice white so you don't blind anyone. They are not used for you to see but so that you can be seen by other drivers coming up behind you in the fog and rain. :smile:

Still would have thought white. Dunno why honestly. :smile:

With the brake light mod, does the "fog lamp" turn on with the lights and then brighten when the brakes are applied? From the sounds of things it does.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pebblecrusher,
With the brake light kit installed, the fog lights turn on when you apply the brakes. The bulbs in the fog light sockets are brighter than the tail light bulbs, so it appears you have two sets of brake lights in the taillight housing. The fog light bulbs have only one filiment, and therefore only one level of brightness.

If you have the rear fog light option activated and you install the brake light kit, then the rear fogs light when you apply the brakes; but if the rear fogs are already turned on, then when you hit the brakes, they do not change...........nor do the brake lights come on if you turn on the rear fogs with the kit because of the one-way flow of current.

If you have the rear fog light option, then you need the kit from Minirolls because it includes a capacitor which only lets current flow one way......the paper cliip or simple jumper wire won't work. Contact Dave Royce at minirolls@msn.com for more information or PM his here as minirolls
Charlie

Old 04-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Don't have the rear fog light option, so I am just going with the diode approach described here.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM
BuckDodgers
2nd Gear
I'd love to see the look on the face of the guy behind you when you switched on white REAR fog lights. It would look like you had just shifted into reverse.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Now it seems silly I admit. :smile: I actually thoughr of them more as extra reverse lights that I could turn on at will.

But the thought of freaking out the driver behind me who is tailgating.....

Old 04-26-2004, 01:05 PM
BuckDodgers
2nd Gear
>>But the thought of freaking out the driver behind me who is tailgating.....

I WAS GOING TO put that in my reply. A light to flash tailgaters ... but then I remembered how much fun it is to drop it into 4th and leave them in my dust. ..... but when that's not an option .... a nice bright 10,000 watt halogen "warning" light would be cool.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Brake light mod... done!

Also added "Actual Size" stickers to the rear side windows. :smile:

Old 04-26-2004, 05:53 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
But the thought of freaking out the driver behind me who is tailgating.....
The rear fogs are incredibly effective at getting tailgaters to back off... Since they're bright, located in the taillight cluster, and both turn on, tailgaters don't know what to make of them and back off pretty quick...