Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Flat Floor--my version...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004 | 08:44 AM
Storer
|
5th Gear
For all of those as interested as I have been in creating a flat floor, but just don't want to have to have the rear seats removed at all times, I'm coming up with a new solution. As I begin to work on it tonight, I'll post some pics.

For starters, this is a very simple approach, some people may have done this already, but I haven't seen one.

The idea, is to create a false floor in the boot area, that is more level than when the seats are folded down. Essentially it will be a shelf that can be removed at any time, as it won't be bolted down.

I'm going to use a 1/2" thick piece of plywood, and attached four legs to it made of pipefitting 6" "nipples" and "flanges". I'm going to cover the plywood with a black carpet designed for use in boats, so its durable.

Ideally, I will now have stowage room under the shelf that will keep things out of the way (socket set, compressor, fix-a-flat), plus the top of the shelf will create a nearly flat surface with the folded down seats.

So there you have it. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Old 04-26-2004 | 08:52 AM
seashelly
4th Gear
Looking forward to seeing your flat floor solution, Storer. I know I've got some plywood left over in the garage...

Shelly

Old 04-26-2004 | 08:56 AM
Storer
|
5th Gear
The tricky part will be making the right cuts. I've already used cardboard to make a basic template, but now I'm going to use a spare piece of plywood and shave it to make a template to apply to the shelf itself. We'll see... wish I had a table saw, the jig saw will have to do.

Old 04-27-2004 | 04:33 AM
laclede
3rd Gear
Here's my rendition of your false shelf:

One of these days, I'm going to get around to covering it in something to make it look a little better!

-Laclede

Old 04-27-2004 | 04:49 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Laclede, I love your idea. I built a plywood "box" for Jerseygirl, but it didn't turn out very well. My original plan was to have a simple hinged box that could easily be removed when not needed. However, I ran into the problem of the interior dimensions of the top being larger than what would physically fit through the boot opening without large amounts of scraping (which makes Robyn :smile:

Old 04-27-2004 | 10:15 AM
Storer
|
5th Gear
Ian, sounds like I'm following the same method, and therefore might run into the same circumstances.

Did you try fitting the lid from inside with the seats folded down? That's what my thought is, but I guess I'll just have to see.

Old 04-27-2004 | 03:52 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Instead of one big box, why not make 2 boxes half the size? That way you should be able to get them in or out one at a time without scratching anything.

Old 04-28-2004 | 05:03 AM
laclede
3rd Gear

>>But your system looks like it works very well. What material did you use? It looks like hardboard. Thickness?

The material is just 1/4" masonite.

Old 04-28-2004 | 05:56 AM
Storer
|
5th Gear
-->But your system looks like it works very well. What material did you use? It looks like hardboard. Thickness?

The material is just 1/4" masonite.<--

I'm attempting to use 15/32" thick plywood, to increase the functionality of a "false floor," so that it will withstand a good amount of weight. Of course, making it more solid, also means less ease in getting it in and out.

To scooter's point, I may have to end up creating 2 parts to the floor just so I can get it in place. Haven't had too much time to work on it over the past two days... in fact, I haven't worked on it at all. Hopefully it will be done by this weekend, as my SoundGate Sirius interface should be in by tomorrow!

Old 04-28-2004 | 05:58 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
Show it to us with the seats down.. after all that half the point right? how level were you able to get it?

Old 04-28-2004 | 06:00 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
BTW, you coudl very easily get soem carpet samples for free from a local carpet store, oor even grab some scrap material form a large carpet wherehouse which you could cover that in. My fiancee is an interior desigenr and I used soem scraps that where pretty clsoe to my interior color as a boot rug, as to not ruin the orignal finish.

Old 04-28-2004 | 06:10 AM
Storer
|
5th Gear
If mine comes out the way I intend, it will be about 1/2" lower than the seats, and about 3/4" taller than the back of the hatch opening, so, not too out of place.

As far as the carpet goes, I picked up some rugged back carpet that is nearly identical in color and texture to the stock MINI interior. Its made to withstand sea-going vessels, so I don't anticipate any problems with it being rugged enough.

Old 04-28-2004 | 06:37 AM
jaxmini
3rd Gear
Another good place to get carpet is any better car audio installation store. They usually have a selection of material in different colors/textures and will sell it by the yard. They may also cover the box for you for a fee.

Old 04-28-2004 | 07:25 AM
Storer
|
5th Gear
>>Another good place to get carpet is any better car audio installation store. They usually have a selection of material in different colors/textures and will sell it by the yard. They may also cover the box for you for a fee.

Thought about that, but then I thought that it would be way more epxensive per yard than say, Home Depot. I got it for under 4 dollars per foot. Never actually check it out, so I can't say for sure.

Old 04-28-2004 | 07:37 PM
IanF
6th Gear
>>Ian, sounds like I'm following the same method, and therefore might run into the same circumstances.
>>
>>Did you try fitting the lid from inside with the seats folded down? That's what my thought is, but I guess I'll just have to see.

I tried to fit it in there every which way to Sunday... the problem is the boot area is bigger than any opening to it.

What I really like about laclede's idea is it appears to simply a bunch of flat pieces that slot together. Then it's easy to store when not in use (which would be most of the time in our case). I have some pieces of cardboard and hope to make a prototype soon. Once I have the pattern, duplicating it should be simple. I may even look into getting sheet plastic and make one out of that.

I'll build it. Finishing it will be Robyn's dept...

So many projects...

But it does give me a really could excuse to finally buy a band saw.

Old 04-29-2004 | 11:52 AM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
I have found a shop out here that can waterjet cut things. If you want to make one out of something waterproof, then I recommend a PVC based material called either Sintra or Celtec. Nice and rigid. Lightweight too. All you need to do is get your pattern done and then you could someone like these guys to cut several out for their minimum lot charge. Sell the extras to friends to share the costs.

GMG

Old 04-29-2004 | 01:38 PM
Storer
|
5th Gear
I realized last night that, as I expected, one piece ain't gonna work, so I ended up cutting it in two, before the battery died on the jig saw (yes, a jig saw, that's all I have). Will try to finish tonight, but I think my SoundGate Sirius adapter is coming in, so I will probably install that instead. Maybe this weekend...

Old 04-29-2004 | 03:26 PM
laclede
3rd Gear
>>Show it to us with the seats down.. after all that half the point right? how level were you able to get it?

I'll have to post some pictures. The 'floor' is the same level as the seats folded down and rides about 1/2" higher than the tailgate.

Also, 1/4" is plenty strong, with the interlocked web below the top, you can climb on it and it doesn't deflect, so it's good for 200+ lbs. on it.

And yes, all the parts are interlocked and remove easily and store nice and compactly.