Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior iPod Ice-Link v1.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the latest Ice-Link adapter for my iPod this past weekend, and I have to say it works great ! I bought it from Dension.com

The install was super easy.

I do have one question for everyone. The new version ties into the CD changer port in the boot (I have the HK radio), so you have to run a wire from the rear of the car to the front. To get the adapter working, I just ran the line under the rear seats, and between the front seats, but it's definitely a temporary placement. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to run a fairly thick wire bundle from the rear to the front ??

If you have an iPod, this is the adapter for you ! (PS, no I don't work for Dension)

BB

Old 04-27-2004, 12:09 PM
chollomo
4th Gear
you HAve to run soemthign form the back of the car? I have a gen2 ipod, is that still the case I haven't bought one yet, but been thinking about it.... I don't want to run jack to the boot if I don't have to , kind defeats teh purpose of even having an AUX port on the back of the head unit if I still have to run crap back to the boot.

Old 04-27-2004, 12:13 PM
jimmer0
3rd Gear
I installed mine last night. You're right, it works great!! The only part I haven't finished is installing the Proclip mount for it because I have to drill 4 holes for the Ice-Link docking station to mount to it.

I just ran the wires under the rear seats, wedged under the edge of the seats, and then under the plastic trim on the passenger side and up underneath the glovebox. I didn't have to remove any panels and it's all tucked away except a little 6" stretch that is near the seatbelt anchor because I couldn't pull on the trim enough to get under there. It looks great and it's totally out of the way!

Good Luck!!

>>I installed the latest Ice-Link adapter for my iPod this past weekend, and I have to say it works great ! I bought it from Dension.com
>>
>>The install was super easy.
>>
>>I do have one question for everyone. The new version ties into the CD changer port in the boot (I have the HK radio), so you have to run a wire from the rear of the car to the front. To get the adapter working, I just ran the line under the rear seats, and between the front seats, but it's definitely a temporary placement. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to run a fairly thick wire bundle from the rear to the front ??
>>
>>If you have an iPod, this is the adapter for you ! (PS, no I don't work for Dension)
>>
>>BB

Old 04-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Thanks Jimmer0,

The method you used was my next plan of attack.

Chollomo, you wire you have to run is to connect the iPod cradle to the factory CD changer connection in the boot. The previous method required you to take apart the dash (radio section) to connect up iPod. This method is much easier, and only leaves the cable to deal with.

BB

Old 04-27-2004, 01:54 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Is Dension offering the option to wire the ICE-link v1.1 into the head unit? (With the old v1.0 they offered it either way...you just had to specify when ordering whether you wanted to connect to the head unit or to the CD changer port in the boot.)

Old 04-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
According to the website, I think the CD changer connection is the only one currently available, but I'm sure this is a fluid situation, and the other option may be available soon.

I'd contact Dension directly to see if the HU version is available.

I will say, that other than routing the wire back to the front of the car, this install was super easy. No need to tear apart the radio console (although I know this isn't that difficult).

BB

Old 04-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Jayar
3rd Gear
I talked to the guy at Dension. He told me that in May there would be a cable available to for people (like me) who don't want to use the supplied cradle with integrated dock connector. It will be long enough to reach from the back of the car (possibly routed under the door sills?). People who have the standard ProClip or other mounts will want this cable, I think. JR