Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear Fog Lamp install kills convenience features

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:49 PM
CharlesT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Months back I had the rear fog lamp feature installed and activated in my Cooper S. Now getting to the warmer months I wanted to use the convenience feature of holding the door lock toggle switch up to open both windows and the sunroof. Well I found out that it no longer worked. No other service work or anything has been done.

I had to take my car in for service and while it was there I wanted them to re-activate the convenience feature. I was told by the shop, to their surprise, that according to Mini turning on the rear fog lamp option would deactivate the "all open" convenience feature and that it could not be re-activated. The shop did try to re-activate it but no luck.

Is anyone else aware of this software "bug"? Myself and the dealership were unaware the enabling a feature would kill another and I would tend to use the all open feature more than the rear fog lamps. Anyone know how to get both activated?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:55 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
I don't know what they're talking about! I had the rear fog lights avtivated and all my convinience fatures like auto windows/roof opening were retained. They should be able to reprogram the features.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:46 AM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Your dealer is full of....

The same thing happened to me. All convience features gone after the rear fogs. Went back in and 1/2 hour later evrything was back to normal. I even added the unlock when the key is turned off feature.

Tell them to try again. Or call MiniUSA and blast them.

GMG

Old 04-29-2004, 12:08 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" I was told by the shop, to their surprise, that according to Mini turning on the rear fog lamp option would deactivate the "all open" convenience feature and that it could not be re-activated. The shop did try to re-activate it but no luck."

Yeah, I bet they were "surprised"...

This is SOP for MINI dealers.

Either BMW is giving the dealers inadequate tools and procedures or the dealers aren't training their techs properly. I've had the "according to MINI, XYZ can't be done" excuse used on me several times.

Unfortunately, this is a common problem we MINI owners are having to put up with.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Why don't you call 1-866 275-6464 (ASK MINI). I have soppoken to them about programmable options and they set Mini of Charleston straight. :smile:

Old 04-29-2004, 07:29 PM
CharlesT
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies. I did call Mini Customer Service per advice of my Mini dealer and explained the issue to them. The rep. was very helpful over the phone and told me that the issue I was having was not a known issue nor should it be an issue. The rep. was going to call the dealer and speak to them to get the issue resolved. I should hear something back tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:34 PM
MINIMINA
2nd Gear
whoa mini techs are incredibly illtrained

Old 04-30-2004, 08:15 AM
sevin626
1st Gear
Yeah, i would NOT trust my life with a mini tech. Unfortunately BMW has one of the best tech training programs available(STEP), but they do not currently offer any kind of MINI training. I asked because i want to work on MINI's or just M class cars.

Going to school currently to wrench for a couple years. Should be fun!

Will.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:58 AM
CharlesT
2nd Gear
Well after going back and forth with my Mini dealer and the Mini Customer Service, it looks like we know why the auto all open convenience feature got turned off. I had my car updated to software version 37 which is the version that all Mini's are being updated to if any computer work has to be done to the car. In software version 37, the software developers disabled this feature and there is no way to turn it back on.

No one seems to know why they did it but a "bug" has been filed to have this feature re-enabled in the next software update.