Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Should I get a carbon fiber hood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004 | 06:34 PM
peterwhit
3rd Gear
>>>>"In my experience making the exterior of the car more flashy attracts trouble, esp in the form of police officers."<<
>>
>>...and also in the form of vandals.
>>
>>"Say, my fellow beady-eyed disrespectful hooligan, the driver of that wussy-*** Mini seems to think he's pretty cool with that carbon fiber hood. I wonder if we could dent it with a big chunk of asphalt?"
>>
>>"Yeah, we probably could, but why not use that big metal newspaper dispenser on the corner?"
>>
>>"Better yet, how about a shopping cart?!"
>>
>>

In addition to Chris's point, those hooligans could also think, wow this guy has money to make all sorts of mods to his car, why don't we break in and see what we can take out. This is very unfortunate, in some areas more than others though. Probably not as bad as some of those Nissans that are subject to theft everywhere they go. There is currently a possible class action suit against them for designing a car that lets crooks remove the HID bulbs very easily and then sell them on a black market. I think those bulbs are about $200 each from the factory.

Old 05-04-2004 | 04:00 AM
IanF
6th Gear
>>>>>>"In my experience making the exterior of the car more flashy attracts trouble, esp in the form of police officers."<<
>>>>
>>>>...and also in the form of vandals.
>>>>
>>>>"Say, my fellow beady-eyed disrespectful hooligan, the driver of that wussy-*** Mini seems to think he's pretty cool with that carbon fiber hood. I wonder if we could dent it with a big chunk of asphalt?"
>>>>
>>>>"Yeah, we probably could, but why not use that big metal newspaper dispenser on the corner?"
>>>>
>>>>"Better yet, how about a shopping cart?!"
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
"Aww heck... Let's try all three and see which one does the most damage?"

Old 05-04-2004 | 12:01 PM
samawil
5th Gear
I think M7 has a CF hood for the Cooper.

As far as how it'll look, that's your call...I'm pretty sure you'll get it painted, but now you're talking big buck...I bet you could get $600 from the lady, then get it fixed for like 200 and be left with 400 to mod something else (power/audi/brakes/suspenssion/etc)

L

Old 05-04-2004 | 08:40 PM
bigpmj
4th Gear
So...are you guys trying to say that we shouldnt do any exterior mods? What about the body kits, or rims most of you have. Im sure those are more expensive than the hood. I still say let the guy do what he wanrs to HIS car...and go enjoy your own.

Old 05-04-2004 | 10:29 PM
goin440
6th Gear
>>I think M7 has a CF hood for the Cooper.

Not yet for the MC... but one exists for the MCS.

Old 05-04-2004 | 11:11 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I'd say go ahead and get the Carbon Fiber bonnet, especially if diet and exercise have not helped lose weight in the driver's seat

Old 05-05-2004 | 06:56 AM
samawil
5th Gear
It's not all about loosing weight or gaining performance etc...I mean how many people have painted their Brake calipers? All that did was add to the look.

L

Old 05-05-2004 | 03:50 PM
MiniPoo
2nd Gear
Get the CF Hood, dude. From the pictures that I saw of the hood from M7's site, It looks really sweet! I drove home one night while a little under the influence and damaged my hood a bit. I was thinking of going the same route as you but currently not looking for aesthetics mods, just yet. Show and go is all gravy .

Old 05-08-2004 | 11:17 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
We will have our first production piece next thursday but it is already spoken for. We should be getting 3 to 4 a week from now on. As for the paint or not to paint discusion here is the way I will be doing mine and maby you would like it as well. I will have most of my hood painted body color with a section left bare carbon just to be a little different. I was thinking of perhaps extending back from the front scoop and leaving the raised center section bare carbon for example. The exact shape of the " bare " spot is still not set in stone but it will be along those lines. We have the prototype carbon hood on the track car and it looks ok completely bare in that it is more or a track car now than a street car but for my personal vehicle I want to go a little more subdued in that particualr area. In any event they are finally here :smile:

Randy
Team M7

Old 05-09-2004 | 10:50 AM
El_Inca
Neutral
I really want one of these CF Bonnets.... Are the bonnets that M7 selling have any type of clear coat on it???

Old 05-09-2004 | 02:07 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
>>>...I bet you could get $600 from the lady, then get it fixed for like 200 and be left with 400 to mod something else<<<

Now this is what I call a BAD attitude!! :evil: :evil: This is advocating screwing one of the few people in probably the entire parking lot honest enough to leave a note offering to repair the damage. Sorry, but that is so uncool!! And, we wonder why people don't stop to do the "right" thing anymore. Fear of running into a scam like this would probably be near the top of the list.

If you want to spring for the difference for the C-F hood go for it. I'd get estimates from 3 body shops, present her with these and offer to take it to the shop of her choice for a 4th. Let her know that you'd like to settle for the average of all of the estimates. She should be willing to go along with that. Keep in mind that she does have the option of only paying the finished repair bill, so be prepared for this line of thought to pop up. Good luck with however it works out.

Old 05-12-2004 | 01:51 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
"Now this is what I call a BAD attitude!! This is advocating screwing one of the few people in probably the entire parking lot honest enough to leave a note offering to repair the damage. Sorry, but that is so uncool!! And, we wonder why people don't stop to do the "right" thing anymore. Fear of running into a scam like this would probably be near the top of the list."

I don't agree. She caused damage to the vehicle. Normally, her insurance company would handle the claim. If she wants to handle it herself, that's her choice.

The insurance company would write a check based on the repair estimate. But you would be under no obligation to get it repaired. You could simply cash the check and use it for some other purpose. So I don't see why her not wanting to get her insurance company involved should affect how much compensation you should receive or how you decide to use it.

Obviously, this assumes you make every effort to get a fair repair estimate, so she isn't paying more than the insurance company would have paid.

What's not fair about that?

Old 05-12-2004 | 04:18 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Get the carbon fiber. First it may look good, and it's you that needs to decide that, and no one else, second, the mini needs to shed any weight from the front that is possible, and even if it's 20 lbs, it can't hurt.

I'm thinking about it, but I would get it paineted just for security reasons. Too many people jealous over here that like to break stuff if you own nice things.

Just yesterday, I heard a story of some kids running up to a mercedes while on a jack, and kicking it off of the jack to fall on it's brake rotor.

If you like it get it.

Old 05-12-2004 | 07:32 AM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
samawil wrote::
As far as how it'll look, that's your call...I'm pretty sure you'll get it painted, but now you're talking big buck...I bet you could get $600 from the lady, then get it fixed for like 200 and be left with 400 to mod something else (power/audi/brakes/suspenssion/etc)
911Fan wrote:
"Now this is what I call a BAD attitude!! This is advocating screwing one of the few people in probably the entire parking lot honest enough to leave a note offering to repair the damage. Sorry, but that is so uncool!! And, we wonder why people don't stop to do the "right" thing anymore. Fear of running into a scam like this would probably be near the top of the list."

I don't agree. She caused damage to the vehicle. Normally, her insurance company would handle the claim. If she wants to handle it herself, that's her choice.

The insurance company would write a check based on the repair estimate. But you would be under no obligation to get it repaired. You could simply cash the check and use it for some other purpose. So I don't see why her not wanting to get her insurance company involved should affect how much compensation you should receive or how you decide to use it.

Obviously, this assumes you make every effort to get a fair repair estimate, so she isn't paying more than the insurance company would have paid.

What's not fair about that?
Doing what samawil suggested is called fraud! It is illegal and immoral! Your Mommys should be ashamed for both of you!

I sincerely hope that DuNcE223 follows the lady’s example and returns her honesty with honesty of his own!

Old 05-12-2004 | 08:15 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Randy - how about painting the bonnet body color but leave two CF bonnet stripes showing through?

Old 05-12-2004 | 08:23 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
>>Randy - how about painting the bonnet body color but leave two CF bonnet stripes showing through?

That is about the number one choice from people that I have mentioned this idea too and I agree it would look good. I saw a yellow vette at the track last weekend that had painted his hood body color but left a design keyed to the front scoop in bare carbon which is what I have been thinking about as I mentioned earlier. I think that the middle raised portion of the mini hood could be used very well with this type of technique and I am still leaning in that direction. I am sure that your idea of leaving bare carbon stripes would look great but I am trying to come up with something a bit unusual . Thanks forthe input and I will keep you posted.
Randy
Team M7

Old 05-12-2004 | 09:56 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
"Doing what samawil suggested is called fraud! It is illegal and immoral!"

I'm curious -- do you think accepting money from the lady or her insurance company based on a fair repair estimate and then not fixing the dent at all would be illegal and unethical?

Maybe some ethicist or lawyer will chime in too...

Old 05-12-2004 | 01:08 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
>>>I'm curious -- do you think accepting money from the lady or her insurance company based on a fair repair estimate and then not fixing the dent at all would be illegal and unethical?<<<

As for how the money is used, I don't see a problem putting it towards something else. The part of what Samawil proposed that I was referring to was presenting an inflated estimate in order to collect money well above what the repairs would actually cost. Collecting $600 for a repair that can be done for $200 is, in my eyes, unethical. (I know these numbers are probably unrealistically low for body work, but they were what was presented originally by Samawil so I'll use them) There's no way you'll convince me getting 3 times the actual repair cost is a "fair estimate". Do you think it is?

This is the reason I suggested the multiple estimates. It shows you're trying to be just as honest about the situation as the person was when they left the note. After all, had they not done so, the repairs would have come out of your pocket or your insurance would have had to pay (which, nowadays, is a strike against you in their eyes).

Old 05-12-2004 | 01:25 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Sure. Go for it.

Old 05-12-2004 | 06:39 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
"This is the reason I suggested the multiple estimates. It shows you're trying to be just as honest about the situation as the person was when they left the note."

I agree completely. You'll note I repeatedly made reference to a fair repair estimate in my posts. My only point is that having received that money from the lady or her insurance company, you could decide to beat out the dent yourself and use a can of spray paint, or just leave it unrepaired, without doing anything illegal or unethical.

In other words, once the amount of compensation is fairly established, how you decide to use it should be up to you.

Old 01-17-2009 | 06:47 PM
deernaitsirhc
Neutral
i hear a lot about painting the carbon fiber but how about which carbon fiber product to buy? vis seibon or whatever.i bought a seibon but when it arrived the headlight hole were so far off i couldnt install it. i was wondering if that was normal. ive already contacted the seller to tell him i need a new hood. he assured me this hasnt happened before. i had to replace my oem hood after a car accident the only reason i bought the carbon fiber was it was cheaper than the dealerships price on the factory hood. but if i have to deal with inferior part i would have rather bought the oem hood and spent the extra money please advise

Old 01-25-2009 | 08:17 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by deernaitsirhc
i hear a lot about painting the carbon fiber but how about which carbon fiber product to buy? vis seibon or whatever.i bought a seibon but when it arrived the headlight hole were so far off i couldnt install it. i was wondering if that was normal. ive already contacted the seller to tell him i need a new hood. he assured me this hasnt happened before. i had to replace my oem hood after a car accident the only reason i bought the carbon fiber was it was cheaper than the dealerships price on the factory hood. but if i have to deal with inferior part i would have rather bought the oem hood and spent the extra money please advise
Return the hood and get ViS

Old 01-25-2009 | 09:22 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MGear
If you think repairing a stock hood is expensive, wait till you see what it would cost to repair a CF hood, in fact you really can't repair it, it would have to be replaced.
Where did you learn this or who told you wrong info? At my work...we repair CF all the time..

Originally Posted by 911Fan
"If it happened again, it wouldn't dent!

Correct - CF doesn't dent. It shatters.
Actually, shatters is the wrong term. It does dent but when you tear through the material it splinters.

Originally Posted by Samtrak
my advice is if your gonna do it, do it right the first time round.

in other words, i hope your backseats are already out, and i can only assume you plan on replacing all the rest of the heavy shizzza. seats, battery, and so on.
Hey....he has to start somewhere Mr. Johnny Downer...

Originally Posted by peterwhit
If you do get a CF hood, PLEASE paint it. I have no idea why people think it is cool to have a CF hood that doesn't match the rest of the car, esp people driving white or elec blue cars. I say that if you want to improve your mini get a regular hood and drop that extra couple hundred bucks on something like a sway bar, new wheels, or CAI. You probably wont notice a difference with a CF hood, anyway.
Maybe because people think CF hoods look good on blue vehicles. I know I do. And the first thing people notice about my car is the hood..

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Once the sunlight hits the cf for extended periods of time it will start to turn yellow and eventually crack, that's why it's a smart idea to paint it (well, other than the fact that your car will look lame with it unpainted)
It turns yellow because all CF parts do not come with a clear coat....they come with a GEL COAT...which does not withstand UVA and UVB sun rays.

Originally Posted by maxmini
We will have our first production piece next thursday but it is already spoken for. We should be getting 3 to 4 a week from now on. As for the paint or not to paint discusion here is the way I will be doing mine and maby you would like it as well. I will have most of my hood painted body color with a section left bare carbon just to be a little different. I was thinking of perhaps extending back from the front scoop and leaving the raised center section bare carbon for example. The exact shape of the " bare " spot is still not set in stone but it will be along those lines. We have the prototype carbon hood on the track car and it looks ok completely bare in that it is more or a track car now than a street car but for my personal vehicle I want to go a little more subdued in that particualr area. In any event they are finally here :smile:

Randy
Team M7
Hey Randy....are these hoods going to be better than M7's last CF hood expedition?

Originally Posted by Moorlockx
>>>...I bet you could get $600 from the lady, then get it fixed for like 200 and be left with 400 to mod something else<<<

Now this is what I call a BAD attitude!! :evil: :evil: This is advocating screwing one of the few people in probably the entire parking lot honest enough to leave a note offering to repair the damage. Sorry, but that is so uncool!! And, we wonder why people don't stop to do the "right" thing anymore. Fear of running into a scam like this would probably be near the top of the list.
Obviously you havent dealt with insurance companies before. THATS WHAT THEY DO. You can get estimates for an OEM hood plus repair and give that to your insurance company. You can then tell them that you want to have them cut you a check...OR...have them buy the CF hood and install/paint it for you. If the cost is more...then you pay the diff. If it is less...you dont get extra money.

Old 01-27-2009 | 03:21 PM
motorer03
2nd Gear
hey UKSUV, i hit a deer with my mini the other day and im planning to get a CF hood im just wondering which one to get for the best quality and everything lining up. Ive heard the VIS had problems in the past but they redesigned or something?

Old 01-27-2009 | 03:34 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Wow this is a 5 year old thread brought back from the dead!!!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Should I get a carbon fiber hood?