Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Carbon Fiber Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw the 40th anniversary MCS at the dealer today. Each dealership got 1. The one I saw came with red and black leather seats (not an option on the MCS) and a carbon fiber dashboard. Door panels were all black, as was the rest of the interior.

As for as options go, there was very little in it. Was not impressed with the price or the options or the car really. Beyond the seats, which I want. :smile:

My sales person talked to me about it and apparently the CF dash will be an upcoming otpion as well.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I believe the wheels are also unique to the car but I honestly don't like them.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:28 AM
MGear
5th Gear
The CF dashboard is actually an item that comes with the Monto Carlo Anniversary package. I saw one at my MIni dealer last week, the dashboard looked fabulous and was told it was going to be sold separately.

I placed an order for the CF dashboard just yesterday. If anyone is intersted the part number is: 51450305524 for the left hand drive version

Your dealer won't have it in stock but should find it in their database of items 'on their way over". My dealer told me the CF dashboards were on the boat now and should be in stock shortly. The great thing about this cf dashboard is that it's a fully molded, (5 sections) not an aplique and it maintains the air bag above the glove box, so the dealership must do the install.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:36 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
40th Anniversary.. Monte Carlo... Same thing. :smile: Mind me asking the cost on the CF dash you ordered?

The wheels looks liek normal R90's, but with a gunmetal look to them. I liked them a whole lot better than the normal R90's and my SLites.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:06 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm very interested in the price of this modification - please divulge!

Old 05-05-2004, 04:37 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Its not cheap...................around $1,600.00 including your state tax!

Old 05-05-2004, 05:07 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
>>Its not cheap...................around $1,600.00 including your state tax!

Holly Sheeeite...Yikes!!

Old 05-05-2004, 06:33 AM
ecl3x
3rd Gear
you can get the carbon fibre retrofit through here

http://american-stitches.com/amstitc...es/index2.html

Old 05-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both the dash and the wheels will be available by 8/04 from dealerships.

You can see more here:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/02/...ni_accessories

and you can read some background on the MC40 here:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/02/...yBehindTheMC40

Old 05-05-2004, 08:38 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$1600 + Install =

Sorry had to do it.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:00 PM
MGear
5th Gear
I told you M7 it wasn't cheap! But it is the best quality CF dashboard available from anywhere. My business spends a great deal of time around very sophisticated and expensive race cars we do a great deal of work with CF products. in fact just yesterday I spent the entire day photographing Nicholas Cage's brand new Carrera GT, now talk about expensive composite fiber!

BTW ecl3x I believe the CF products that american-stitches offer is an applique attaching to the current dashboard with double faced tape (not a fully molded replacement) and it doesn't work with the airbag. However it is cheaper

Old 05-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there any benefit to the real CF versus the applique stuff? It's not like there is much weight savings from either of them or anything, so as long as you fina good applique company, wouldnt that be far more logical? Cause then you could spend your money on something that could make your car go fast or handle better?

Edit : And couldnt you do a cheap overlay job on the stock parts and achieve a real look but save on money?

Old 05-05-2004, 01:56 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you installed it right I bet it would look about the same as the real thing. I would never get the overlay though, and 1,600 is way too much for the replacement.

The overlay stuff seems cheap to me...kinda like hubcaps, or the chrome accent pieces...

Old 05-05-2004, 02:26 PM
MGear
5th Gear
There is a big difference between the real stuff and the applique. The applique doesn't cover the seams so you see the silver finish in the seamed areas between the components and I don't believe they make a piece for the air bag portion because it would void the air bag warranty. Now you might not think that that difference is all that important and that's okay too, but for me I want the real thing and I am willing to pay for it. I have done 90% or all the performance modes I want to do I only have the BFP Cold Air Intake left to do, than I am done...............I think

Old 05-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hahaha that is awesome, it looks like you have done a lot to your mini. so if you have more money, then go for it! It is a beautiful accent.

But be aware, you will never be done modding

Old 05-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Is there any benefit to the real CF versus the applique stuff? It's not like there is much weight savings from either of them or anything, so as long as you fina good applique company, wouldnt that be far more logical? Cause then you could spend your money on something that could make your car go fast or handle better?
>>
>>Edit : And couldnt you do a cheap overlay job on the stock parts and achieve a real look but save on money?

The difference put simply: the sticker looks like a sticker / the full CF dash looks like an incredible piece if carbon fiber.

Old 05-05-2004, 04:49 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Peter's CF complete hood is less than 1k...WTFs up with a $1600 CF cosmetic dash cover

Old 05-05-2004, 05:16 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Good question msfitoy, I suspect part of the reason has to do with the dashboard being five different molded shapes, the other part I suspect is the requirement that the air bag feature stays functional. Once I get mine I will have a closer look and let you know.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:21 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>I told you M7 it wasn't cheap! But it is the best quality CF dashboard available from anywhere. My business spends a great deal of time around very sophisticated and expensive race cars we do a great deal of work with CF products. in fact just yesterday I spent the entire day photographing Nicholas Cage's brand new Carrera GT, now talk about expensive composite fiber!
>>
>>BTW ecl3x I believe the CF products that american-stitches offer is an applique attaching to the current dashboard with double faced tape (not a fully molded replacement) and it doesn't work with the airbag. However it is cheaper I will talk to my guys who makes the wings for me, and I bett I could be at least
$800 south of that price.

I talk to them after I get back from the race....Yeeehhhaaaa

peter

Old 05-05-2004, 07:23 PM
donut
2nd Gear

Can I have some money?

no.. really...

Old 05-06-2004, 02:30 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>
>> Can I have some money?

donut,
Sure. Grab all you want.
:evil:
Ask him for a job.

"the donald"

"the look"

As an alternative for the cosmetic CF dash (remember CF is strong and light which is great for stuff that needs those qualities like brake rotors but in a dash?) just paint those stock dash panels for about $200 to $300!

Show the airbrush artist the picture of the MINI CF dash and stand back.

Old 05-06-2004, 08:44 PM
donut
2nd Gear
I like the look.

Old 05-15-2004, 02:15 PM
2BlueMCSMRdstr
2nd Gear
I wonder how much time it will take the dealer to install. I'd like to get the dash as well, but 1600 + several hours install would be very painful to the pocketbook...

Old 05-15-2004, 02:43 PM
MGear
5th Gear
The dash panels basically pop in and out. The only panel that will take some time will be the one with air bag. I really can't see the job taking more than one hour.
I cannot wait to get rid of that ugly fake silver burnished look. I remember when I first test drove an S at my dealer, I got in the car with the sales rep and immediately asked her if the finish was a mistake, I told I her I could not believe how hideous it looked.

Old 05-16-2004, 12:53 PM
2BlueMCSMRdstr
2nd Gear
>>The dash panels basically pop in and out. The only panel that will take some time will be the one with air bag. I really can't see the job taking more than one hour.
>>I cannot wait to get rid of that ugly fake silver burnished look. I remember when I first test drove an S at my dealer, I got in the car with the sales rep and immediately asked her if the finish was a mistake, I told I her I could not believe how hideous it looked.

I'm seriously thinking about making the carbon fiber upgrade and am looking forward to seeing your results. BTW, I thought that the part wasn't supposed to be available until August...

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Carbon Fiber Dashboard