Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Reversing Light(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 12:09 PM
JerryTheTiger
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen the posts concerning rewiring the rear fogs to the brake lights. But I'm wondering if some one out there has considered doing something similar and making them work as reversing (backup) lights. The one little light in the center is just not enough light for me when backing up. I'd like more light back there to insure I dont hit anything. I'm not inclined to dive in and do the mod myself. but ideas would be appreciated.

Old 10-28-2002, 07:16 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
That might be more difficult, you're going to have to find the right wire in the right harness and connect them to wire #1 on the rear light harnesses. My suggestion would be to find a shop manual, of if you're more daring, take the backup light off and examine the wires... then try to find said wires up near where you can connect them to the rear lights. Keep in mind, however, that the wires will most likely be on only one side of the car... so you'd have to run a wire along the back of the boot. SO I'd go with teh shop manual idea, then consult an automotive electritian (the dealer would NOT be the best idea... who knows if they'll press warranty ideas.)

Old 10-28-2002, 11:34 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
I'd just take it apart, and see what you can do... Although i'm not sure how good they will work as backup lights, (unless you have the white lenses in back), as they are red, and will really only show up on reflective surfaces... but as far as mods go, the rear brake mod is about a 1 on a 1 to 10 scale.... so try to find someone who's semi hand with electrical things, so they can get the power readings to make sure you're not going to be blowing out bulbs.. and I would also do a 'temp' job before anything long-term, that's why i went with the paperclip method.. easy to do, and yet, just as easy to un-do...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-29-2002, 06:03 AM
JerryTheTiger
2nd Gear
The red lense would probably be a problem. Hadn't thought of that til I saw your post and then looked the light housing over more closely. Will investigate further before doing anything crazy and dangerous to the electrical system or warranty.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:57 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
The warranty will only be affected if what ever you did directly causes the problem that is the need for service... so unless you start a fire (doubtfull at the power ratings that you'd be dealing with) and the evidence still remains (in my situation, who's going to find a paperclip? and you guys wouldn't rat on me, right? ) you're fine... but a few wires here and there are really simple mods to do... it's like when you first discovered how to chane your wallpaper on the computer (for the non computer savvy), it's easy, but ya just didn't want to click anywhere that you didn't know what it was going to do before you clicked it...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
What? Rat on you? We know you'd just come over and kick our butts. Or is that buttes?

Old 01-05-2003, 06:27 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
Use some heel-toe action to light up the brakes while reversing.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:51 PM
ceberlik
1st Gear
I am still waiting on my car, but I work at an auto parts store. Does anyone know what type of bulb the reverse light takes? I know my store as well as many others like Pep Boys and Autozone sell 55W halogen bulbs that will plug into any 1156 or 3156 style socket (or a omparable style bulb). They are bright like an H3 foglight. If someone could check and post what kind of bulb is in there, I can cross reference the bulb # to see if I can get a halogen that will fit and work fine.

Old 05-08-2003, 01:43 PM
slyle01
Neutral
I've seen auto mags advertise "50w 'beeping' halogen bulbs" for ~$20. I'd like to try one since the rear view & backup lighting in MINIs is so poor. First I need to find out HOW to remove the current backup light bulb, determine the series/number and verify that the current socket can handle a 50w halogen's heat as well as wattage. So...how DO I extract that bulb?

Old 05-08-2003, 01:50 PM
8ball
6th Gear
the MINI bulb is alot more enclosed than most (it is accessible through the boot) and the sound of those beepers may be entirely Inside the car! careful ...

Old 05-09-2003, 02:38 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
ceberlik-
My manual says that in the base cooper the bulb is accessible via the rear inside boot-pop the light out of the bumper and check the light- my guess is that it is a 5W bulb since many of the small bulbs on the mini are 5W- must check to be certain.
In the mini cooper S the bumper is closed off from the boot so the manual says for light problems you should see your dealer.

Old 05-09-2003, 05:10 PM
vespa
4th Gear
I'm almost certain it's a 21W 1156 like every other car in the world. B.T.W. the little side markers are 5W. On the MCS the exhaust system must be removed, then the bulb is right there. Those 55W halogen bulbs are not compatible with cars or anything else. They'll just melt the wiring, housing, bumper, whatever.