Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior sunroof flag blew off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 04:25 AM
CooperDevil
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This weekend while driving through a fairly significant storm (rain and wind) I lost the back half of my sunroof flag. Iwas going about 60mph at the time. Anyone else had this situation? At $150 I'm wondering whether to replace this or just drive around with half a Union Jack on the roof.

Old 05-19-2004, 04:38 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
If this was a dealer installed item,I'd say you have a strong case for returning and having a new one installed.If not .................you go hungry,bow bow bow(blues brothers) bottom line:shouldn't have happened.Anyone else have a similar experience?

Old 05-19-2004, 04:59 AM
CooperDevil
1st Gear
Unfortunately I installed it myself- but I have no doubt it was installed correctly (no flaps, perfect fit etc).

Old 05-19-2004, 05:24 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
You might want to replace it with one of the static cling-type sunroof flags. Mine cost only $55 and was easy to install myself, so if it ever blows away, it's not that big of a deal. And the static cling works very well. Some NAM users have lost their static cling flags in experiences similar to yours, but others (myself included) have had them on for months at a time - through storms, car washes, and fast driving - with no problems.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:29 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
Was your's a static cling type or 3M self-adhesive type? My static cling blew off at speed and thankfully didn't cause an accident behind me and it was replaced with the 3M from Cooper Flags. I taped the edges as a precaution and haven't had a problem to date.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:17 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I lost half of my static cling UJ last year on the highway in a rainstorm. The retailer replaced it for me, but I haven't re-installed it yet. I only put it on for July and August to keep the summer heat out of the car.

When I do re-install it, I'll be putting double-sided tape under all the edges. I plan to use the very thin kind that comes with the 3M house window film kits.

Hopefully it will keep the cling stuck on "good and proper". :smile:

Old 05-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Storer
5th Gear
Colour the rest in with a Sharpie, Terrell Owen's style...

Old 05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
The rear portion of the cling-on UJ flag flew away when I drove my car on the highway the very first time during the rain. Like scooter, the same retailer mailed another one without additional charge. However, I replaced it with a 3M adhesive UJ from cooperflags.com instead. 4 months now, so far, so good! :smile:

Old 05-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After losing 2 sunroof flags, I now have a permanent one on order from cooperflags.

Now I just need to find a qualified installer. .. . .

Old 05-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINIclo posting on YuccaPatrol's laptop

Both Yucca and I experienced static-cling UJ sunroof flag blow-off on our way to Florida last month. We ordered the permanent flags, and Yucca's installers goofed it up, so he has another one on the way. I'm waiting until I get home from my cross-country roadtrip before I install mine.

Clo/Wanda

Old 06-07-2004, 06:30 AM
JFEINSTEIN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperMark
You might want to replace it with one of the static cling-type sunroof flags. Mine cost only $55 and was easy to install myself, so if it ever blows away, it's not that big of a deal. And the static cling works very well. Some NAM users have lost their static cling flags in experiences similar to yours, but others (myself included) have had them on for months at a time - through storms, car washes, and fast driving - with no problems.
I had my static cling union jack for over a year; but over the weekend in a good rain and wind storm I lost the front of my sunroof flag. Just order a replacement this morning, it keeps the car much cooler in the summer.
Price is up to $65. Oh well !!!

Old 06-07-2004, 06:36 AM
Storm180
3rd Gear
So, here's my $160 question (got one on order from Cooperflags as well):

Did anyone that had their flag blow off have an air deflector on their sunroof? I don't particularly like the look of them, but between not loosing my flag and the fact that my wife doesn't particularly like air blowing on her (and I love it), they seem like they'd be a good thing to have.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:39 AM
JFEINSTEIN
3rd Gear
No air deflector here, I don't like the way it looks. IMO

Last edited by JFEINSTEIN; 06-07-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:20 AM
emagineer
2nd Gear
My static cling flew off too. It had been on for months, even through the winter. While at the dealers they were kind enough to brush the snow off the roof. I didn't think about the possibility of their kicking up a corner, breaking the seal. Am sure this is what caused the loss though.

I did find that once you remove the static cling they need to be sure there is no dirt of any size on it before reapplying. Also, the corners do not seem to lay down as well as when new. I dumped mine in the bucket of car wash liquid and then sprayed it off to get it applied correctly again. Not that any of this matters now that only half exists.

Losing the static cling reinforced my wanting a permanant flag. Got a UJ installed last week. Total for flag and install was 300. It is solid vinyl pieces rather than a printed design. I was amazed at the detail they went into, haven't seen a flag install this complete. This was not a complicated process for them, the company does car wraps for advertising. My roof is also IB, same color as body and only needed the red/white pattern of the UJ. It looks great with the IB as part of the total pattern.

Need to post some photos, written explanation can't do it justice.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:43 AM
motoring1
1st Gear
I had one too. Driving at even 90 didn't do anything to my lovely flag. When the rain starts you will have a problem. I also lost my british flag off my sunroof in the rain. I was pretty upset.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:44 PM
dcsmd007
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Now I just need to find a qualified installer. .. . .
After loosing the cling-on, I installed a permanent UJ sunroof flag from Cooper Flags. It was fairly easy and straight forward, mainly because the quality of the material. Take your time and doing it in a warmer temp would help.

IB JCW w/UJ sunroof flag

Old 06-07-2004, 10:46 PM
gomezmgg
3rd Gear
Agree with comments regarding Cooper Flags; mine is stuck on for the long haul and I can't imagine how it would ever come lose. It Also looks great and reduces the "bake" factor here in the desert.............................mgg

Old 06-07-2004, 11:07 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
i plan on sticking an all-white sunroof cover soon.

my question is: why does randy webb apply water to the flag and the sunroof during the application process? is that so you can at least make some fine adjustments during the install to line things up perfectly?

matt at cooperflags says to not use water and just stick on the adhesive side of the flag to the sunroof. other than using the wedgy to push out the air, that's it.

so how did everybody do their install? with or without water. and which way is easier and works best?

btw, my brother and i installed his flag with the water sprayer. and his is still on after nearly a year.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:22 PM
gomezmgg
3rd Gear
Yup, I checked with Matt thinking I was going to install it myself using the wet method. He recommended the dry one so I looked around and found an expert at a glass tint place. He did it dry and charged me $50 but it is perfect. I got to watch the whole thing too. Generally here is what I saw;

Park the car out of the sun and let the sunroof cool;
Clean and then clean the glass again;
Lay out the film with the back still on it the tape it at the corners to insure it is aligned;
Start at the split between the front and back and pull off the backing, using a squegee to push out the air;
Proceed with care you don't get a second chance!

Don't know how he did it but there isn't a bubble in it. Matt's stuff is cut right on and of high quality..........................mgg

Old 06-08-2004, 02:33 AM
dcsmd007
Originally Posted by kbseto
so how did everybody do their install? with or without water. and which way is easier and works best?
I employed the dry method for the stick-on and wet method for the cling-on. The flag from Cooper Flags is of high quality. When there's a mistake, small portion can be pulled up for redo. Not difficult to install at all. :smile:

Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
The wet method is the "old skool" method for applying graphics. Our bonnet stripes can be done wet due to the material we use, but with the printed graphics the dry method works best. Just as an FYI - If there is ever a warranty issue 3M will not cover the product if it was installed wet.

The soap/water method is used primarly for getting out trapped air. The new 3M stuff actually releases the air through the material. Maybe this clears things up, but as always ask me qustions and I'll do my best to answer them.

matt@cooperflags.com