Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Electric Blue Intercooler Cover! (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004 | 09:35 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Really nicely done!

Old 05-22-2004 | 10:11 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Thanks speltzer :smile:

Old 05-22-2004 | 10:15 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
Looks Brilliant! Question though - is there a heat issue that could affect the paint down the road?

Old 05-22-2004 | 11:07 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
>>Looks Brilliant! Question though - is there a heat issue that could affect the paint down the road?

I've had two versions of painted IC covers in my MINI for over 6 months.
One is painted by me on just the upper indented areas with heat resistant Duplicolor paint from Walmart.
The second is the OEM indiblue paint done by a professional paint shop over the entire cover.

In both cases the paint did very well and held up to the heat no problem but there are other problems.
Torque your screws very tight as they tend to get loose easily and you can loose the lower screws completely.
Watch out for water spots that form on the cover and mar the finish even with waxing it.

The cover is functional and directs air to flow over the intercooler from the scoop.

Note there are two versions, one without supports on the lateral brace in the center.

OEM painted with keychain S doublesticked

Spray painted by hand with hand painted enamel paint S with silver outline

another thread on painted IC covers
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=21487

Old 05-24-2004 | 07:17 AM
CornOnTheCob
|
2nd Gear
It's OEM paint (I got it done at a body shop that handles a lot of MINIs), so there shouldn't be any heat issues.

Thanks all! I think it looks great, even though the only people who are likely to see it are mechanics!

Old 05-25-2004 | 12:29 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
>>It's OEM paint (I got it done at a body shop that handles a lot of MINIs), so there shouldn't be any heat issues.
>>
>>Thanks all! I think it looks great, even though the only people who are likely to see it are mechanics!

It's true your mechanics will see the engine bay (mechanics do appreciate working on a clean and well kept engine bay) but often at car events/rallys/ and shows, spectators and participants will be interested in seeing your engine and any upgrades.

There are the unseen hidden and stealthy mods and then there are the showy mods. It's good to have a balance of both to please all of the senses.

Old 05-25-2004 | 07:09 PM
CornOnTheCob
|
2nd Gear
>>There are the unseen hidden and stealthy mods and then there are the showy mods. It's good to have a balance of both to please all of the senses.

Yes, my remark was a bit tongue in cheek. I wouldn't have done this if I didn't want it, and I really love the way it looks. Of course, I have Minihune to thank as the inspiration to get it done in the first place.

:smile:

Old 05-30-2004 | 02:45 PM
greenphantom
1st Gear
This morning I painted my Intercooler Cover Electric Blue aslo, paint look strange when painting it with the metal flakes. Anyways paint looked good after I spayed it, while it was still tacky I opened up my garage door to clean my spray gun a damm bug landed on the Intercooled Cover and got stuck. Oh well I guess I'll wet sand it and spray it again tomorrow.

Old 05-30-2004 | 03:11 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
I'd just clearcoat over the insect ... it would become collectible some day .... like amber.

BTW, all of the painted covers in this thread look very nicely-done!

Old 06-15-2005 | 07:07 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
One is painted by me on just the upper indented areas with heat resistant Duplicolor paint from Walmart.
The second is the OEM indiblue paint done by a professional paint shop over the entire cover.

In both cases the paint did very well and held up to the heat no problem but there are other problems.
Torque your screws very tight as they tend to get loose easily and you can loose the lower screws completely.
That is so true - I had to take off my intercooler cover to install my new plugs and wires and out of nowhere, the bottom right screw just disappeared!

Regarding paint, I just got a black abs boot handle replacement part from Classic mini for $58 shipped and did not know that it would not come painted....So now I'm thinking of painting and clear coating it.

I've selected the following duplicolor products:

Duplicolor CP199 Help protect against weather conditions and corrosion with Dupli-Color® Adhesion Promoter. This durable primer provides great adhesion when painting plastic, fiberglass, bumpers and aluminum trim molding.
  • Improve adhesion of all paints
  • Quick drying clear primer
  • Ideal for automotive plastics
  • Interior/exterior
Duplicolor DAL1677340 Gloss black professional lacquer

Duplicolor DAL1695349 Clear lacquer

I heard that acrylic enamel will turn yellow after a while due to exposure to UV rays. Is this correct?

And can someone tell me if these are the parts I shoulds be going for? I have a PS/B '04 MCS.

I actually mounted the boot handle today to see what it would look like matte...and I like it...but the parts above cost about $4.50 each...so it would be worth it if I could prime it, paint it, clear coat it, and be done with it!

I'd also be interested in getting their silver metallic paint and doing my dash.....

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Shoe

Old 06-22-2005 | 08:46 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CornOnTheCob
I got my intercooler cover painted electric blue to match my car and affixed an S decal to it, the one they put on the boot. It looks great! Here are the photos!

A big thanks to Buster at Magnum Collision in Marietta, GA for getting this done for me and for finding that S decal - perfect fit and it looks fantastic!

I literally JUST posted about this on Atlanta MINIs... weird.

If you don't mind me asking... PM please if you don't want to post it... how much did that cost?

Also... did you take the whole car in and they did it or did you buy a spare cover and have them paint that?

I am very interested in having this done.

(edited with quote to make post clear )

Old 06-22-2005 | 08:53 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jenn B
I literally JUST posted about this on Atlanta MINIs... weird.

If you don't mind me asking... PM please if you don't want to post it... how much did that cost?

Also... did you take the whole car in and they did it or did you buy a spare cover and have them paint that?

I am very interested in having this done.
Here is my other post about this - I've gone ahead and ordered primer, paint, and clear coat from www.paintscratch.com

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=45328

Cost me $83, also includes sandpaper, rubbing compound, tack cloth, wax and grease remover, and thinner.

And I ordered a replacement from Classic Mini in Ohio for $55 in black abs.

Since I will probably have extra, I've already offered to sell my old Pure Silver boot handle which I will sand down and paint if everything goes a.o.k with this new one.

Interested? Won't know until I get my paint next week and find the time and space to do the work......

Old 06-22-2005 | 08:58 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
My car is red... I am sticking with all red and black. Reason I posted in this thread is that we live in the same city and I could easily just take mine where he took his... I think his looks awesome and I really want mine to look professional... plus.. I don't have a garage right now apartment... so it's really hard for me to do ANY of my own work.... ugh.

I know a lot of people do their own and it looks great but I don't have the space in my middle-of-Alanta-apartment parking lot.

Post pics when your stuff is done! I'd love to see.

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:00 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Sorry, I totally misread your post. Thought you were asking about the boot handle.

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:09 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
That looks nice, and it's a good idea, but it doesn't match. It's clearly a different shade than the car.

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:18 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
It looks great to me.... especailly since being paint from a body shop, it's exactly that same color they would use on the outside of the car.

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:33 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
It may be the same 'type' of paint - but none of the pictures look like the same color - it's clearly darker, more Hyper Blue than Electric.

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:37 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
I'm really not trying to start anything here... but that it nowhere near as dark as Hyper Blue

This (on the left) is Hyper Blue

And that's my car on the right... I'm quite familiar with the color.

Maybe I'll get to see this cover in person and judge for myself.

Old 06-22-2005 | 11:06 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I didn't say it's Hyper blue - jeeze...I said it's DARKER 'like' Hyper Blue...is DARKER than electric.

Old 06-22-2005 | 11:48 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
I didn't say it's Hyper blue - jeeze...I said it's DARKER 'like' Hyper Blue...is DARKER than electric.
Which picture are you talking about? Minihune's car (which is also pictured in this thread) is Indi Blue, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 06-22-2005 | 12:54 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I'm talking about Corn's - the thread topic.

Old 06-22-2005 | 05:37 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Who's on first?!?!?!?

Old 06-22-2005 | 05:46 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Corn! Come back to us.... I want to get your info before I call them.. I'm always afraid a place will quote me high cause I'm female

Old 06-23-2005 | 01:12 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Here is a COOL BLUE one from my Cabrio...the 'S' is paint with Chili Red and it has three coats of clear. The cover has been on since I got the car in Jan. No burning marks and cleans up really nice. I also have a Chili Red with silver 'S' and I am getting ready to paint a Pepper White with Chili Red 'S'

Attached Thumbnails Electric Blue Intercooler Cover!  (photos)-intercooler.jpg  
Old 06-23-2005 | 01:48 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini-rolls
Here is a COOL BLUE one from my Cabrio...the 'S' is paint with Chili Red and it has three coats of clear. The cover has been on since I got the car in Jan. No burning marks and cleans up really nice. I also have a Chili Red with silver 'S' and I am getting ready to paint a Pepper White with Chili Red 'S'
Where did you get your paint and was it in an aerosol can?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Electric Blue Intercooler Cover! (photos)