Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Has anyone installed Alta EGT gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013 | 06:58 AM
exocet
|
3rd Gear
Has anyone installed Alta EGT gauge?

I just installed an Alta boost gauge (which is pretty freakin' sweet). But now I need another gauge to balance out the tach

I'm looking at the exhaust gas temp gauge, but I'm a bit wary as it requires drilling into the exhaust manifold to mount the sensor. Is this as scary as it sounds? I generally don't like doing things that aren't reversible or sound like I can monumentally stuff it up...

The instructions are here for reference:
http://altaperformance.com/attachment/74760-.pdf

(What I really want is the AFR gauge - but that is even scarier since it requires welding )

Old 11-21-2013 | 08:09 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
There are EGT sensors that basiclly clamp/strap onto the exhaust instead of a probe, you may want to look into that type of a setup if you really want an EGT gauge, for the most part if you're not actually using it to tune with, the "exact" temp isn't as important as getting a baseline temp & watching for changes.

Honestly, if you're just looking for a balanced appearance, the next gauges I would look into after the standard Water Temp & Oil Pressure would be Oil Temp or Fuel Pressure, these are probably the ones I monitor the most after the basics (besides AFR, which you seem a little reluctant to want to dive into)

The benefit of Oil Temp, are knowing for sure you're up to operating temp before hard running and of course too hot to want to run hard. (Too Hot = Too Thin)

The benifit of the Fuel Pressure gauge are not only proper health of the Fuel Pump for monitoring & troubleshooting but since our fuel systems are vacuum regulated, a drop in normal fuel pressure @ WOT could not only save you from a suprise lean out situation but also point to an unknown vacuum leak.

Old 11-21-2013 | 10:48 AM
exocet
|
3rd Gear
Thanks for the detailed response - I appreciate it. The reason I didn't mention oil/water temp gauges was that I was also planning to get the OEM auxiliary gauge kit (the one by the cigarette lighter) which gives you voltage and engine temp.

You're right of course, and I should concentrate on those basic gauges. What I think I'll do is get a Alta/ProSport oil temp gauge for the steering column, and replace the oil temp gauge in the aux kit with a VDO oil (or maybe fuel) pressure gauge.

My car is running lean and anything that helps diagnose those situations would be helpful. Have to look into the fuel pressure gauge and see how tricky it would be to install.

Old 11-21-2013 | 11:23 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Pretty easy to do, you pick up your pressure frrom the end of the fuel rail, pull the valve stem & use a 4an fitting for the rail.