Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7... Carbon Fiber Hood AVAILABLE

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:00 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We our happy to announce the release of the M7 carbon fiber hood for the Cooper S.This is a direct replacement for the stock hood with all stock mounting points utilized. The finish is a high gloss clear which highlights the carbon weave and provides UV protection as well.If desired the hood can be painted as the owner sees fit. The hood weighs 19 lbs in comparison to the stock weight of 36 lbs. We will be offering a one week special introductory price of $799 after which the normal price of $849 will be in effect.

Randy
Team M7

1 562 712 3270

Old 05-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Trippy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job. Looks great. Includes numbers. I appreciate that.

CF looks like crap to me, but I think several others on the board think it's the Doopdy-do!

Way to go on another cosmetic enhancement for the MINI. You folks do some mighty-fine CF work.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:12 PM
dezeinstein
2nd Gear
Beautiful, Randy. Seems like a fair price.
When can we get the rest of the car in carbon fiber?

Old 05-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Flatsix
2nd Gear
So you could then pain the CF BRG??

-scott

Old 05-27-2004, 08:19 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Randy,

What is M7's position on the hood's crashworthiness and how it impacts the effectiveness of the front crumple zone?

Old 05-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Are all the stock mounting points retained (i.e. headlights, latches, hinges)? Can I close the bonnet shut like stock, or is there a recommended shutting method? Is the carbon-fiber intercooler scoop included, or do I have to retain the stock piece?

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-27-2004, 10:07 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
>>Are all the stock mounting points retained (i.e. headlights, latches, hinges)? Can I close the bonnet shut like stock, or is there a recommended shutting method? Is the carbon-fiber intercooler scoop included, or do I have to retain the stock piece?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ryan
Good questions , hope the answers work for you.

Yes all stock pieces mount in the normal fashion.
The hood close method is the same as stock , get close and let it drop. Or you can use the close and press method as well.
The intercooler scoop is not included your stock grill pieces will mount up as well as teh stock inlet piece.

Randy
Team M7

Old 05-27-2004, 10:18 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
>>Randy,
>>
>>What is M7's position on the hood's crashworthiness and how it impacts the effectiveness of the front crumple zone?
>>
>>_________________
>>:: David Bunting :: North American Motoring :: Report a post to a moderator ::

The hood would be cheaper to replace in the event of a crash than the stock BMW hood. How much cheaper I am not sure but I can find out in the morning. As for the front crumple zone I have no idea and as is the norm with after market body mfg.s there will be no crash testing.

Old 05-28-2004, 04:37 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It looks fairly nice. I still think the MINI has too much hood for the CF to look good on it. Especially with the side of the car and how it won't really blend in well with the doors etc. I think it would look better if someone masked off a v-shape on the hood in the middle from the wipers to the grill, in between of where the lights are by the scoop, and paint everything else around it body color. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Nice work M7. Lighter is always better.
Cheers,

Old 05-28-2004, 09:01 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
>>It looks fairly nice. I still think the MINI has too much hood for the CF to look good on it. Especially with the side of the car and how it won't really blend in well with the doors etc. I think it would look better if someone masked off a v-shape on the hood in the middle from the wipers to the grill, in between of where the lights are by the scoop, and paint everything else around it body color. But hey, that's just my opinion.
>>Nice work M7. Lighter is always better.
>>Cheers,
>>

Minimadman I could not agree with you more. You have described my plan almost exactly and for the same reasons . I think that a carbon fiber " notch " along the fender lines is too abrupt. It is ok for someone looking to go 100% track car but in my opinion iand apparently yours as well that is a bit too much carbon fiber for the Mini. I plan on painting my hood body color for the most part and leaving a bare carbon shape from the air inlet in front back to the windsheild. I am not exactly sure yet if it will just be the riased portion in the center or a wider patch but it will be something along the lines you describe.I saw this technique on a vette at the track last week and it definatly confirmed my thoughts as this would be the way to go. Thanks for the post.

Randy
team M7

Old 05-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In terms of crumple zones, it is my understanding from talking with some of my BMW friends who work at dealerships that the hood is not part of the crumple zone...they tend to focus the crumple zones within the engine compartment.

Im not a professional or anything, just relaying things i have heard from some BMW enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:15 AM
2perCooper
5th Gear
would this hood fit on an MC? if not, is there going to be one for the MC? i would like to pick one up in the near future.

TIA
-chris

Old 05-28-2004, 09:18 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will fit the MC because the hoods are interchangable, the only thing is that it will have the hood scoop and bulkier shape of the MCS.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:45 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
The reason I ask about the crashworthiness of the hood is that carbon fiber fails catastrophically. It's not a ductile material. It won't absorb energy through deformation, rather it will have ply separations, crack, splinter, or rupture. Those types of failure modes are not desirable for parts that will see impact loads.

A metallic hood, even if it's a secondary part of the crash protections system, at least deforms with the rest of the structure to limit the exposure of the engine.

Has any FEM analysis been done on this hood?

:: David Bunting :: North American Motoring :: <A HREF="https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/modules.php?op=modload&amp;name=Messages&amp;file= replypmsg&amp;send=1&amp;uname=DiD" TARGET="_blank">Report
a post to a moderator</A> ::

Old 05-28-2004, 09:51 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
&gt;&gt;The reason I ask about the crashworthiness of the hood is that carbon fiber fails catastrophically. It's not a ductile material. It won't absorb energy through deformation, rather it will have ply separations, crack, splinter, or rupture. Those types of failure modes are not desirable for parts that will see impact loads.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;A metallic hood, even if it's a secondary part of the crash protections system, at least deforms with the rest of the structure to limit the exposure of the engine.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Has any FEM analysis been done on this hood?

I think the idea is that hoods like this are for racing purposes - not for everyday street use. of course vendors don't necessarily market as such - and people buy them even for their daily driver.

But I think it is kind of like - I'm so ____ that I will purchase a carbon fiber hood for my daily driver street car because it looks awesome - even though I have no use for it.

I left that blank because I'm not sure what word should be used there.

That said, i think they look really cool - and I like M7's product release announcement on this too. Also, I'd be interested if the hood is part of a crumple zone - IMHO I do not think it would be

Old 05-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Trippy
Banned
&gt;&gt;Has any FEM analysis been done on this hood?

Oh, my poor keyboard. I NEED to swallow the coffee before reading these boards.

&gt; and I like M7's product release announcement on this too.

I agree 100%. Very professional.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:55 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
&gt;&gt;In terms of crumple zones, it is my understanding from talking with some of my BMW friends who work at dealerships that the hood is not part of the crumple zone...they tend to focus the crumple zones within the engine compartment.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Im not a professional or anything, just relaying things i have heard from some BMW enthusiasts.

I'm no pro either, but am sure you hit it on the head. The hood is not at all part of the crumple zone or crash safety features, thats the same for all cars I believe. :smile: take care

Old 05-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
The hood looks *fantastic*! The research and development and production looks first rate. I've been looking at carbon-fiber products from a bunch of different companies and this looks first class. Great work M7!

Old 05-28-2004, 10:21 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
This just seems to be a poor selection of materials for street use, JMO.

Someone wanting to save every lbs possible for the track would obviously have different priorities.

The finish quality looks really good. Actually it looks even better than the hood I saw back at the Long Beach rally. Nice work.

trippy: I just had to ask.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:37 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
&gt;&gt;This just seems to be a poor selection of materials for street use, JMO.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Someone wanting to save every lbs possible for the track would obviously have different priorities.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;The finish quality looks really good. Actually it looks even better than the hood I saw back at the Long Beach rally. Nice work.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;trippy: I just had to ask.

Thank you DID :smile: The hood is three generations removed from the Long beach prototype and we feel we finally have something we are ready for market. Yes I agree this is not something foreveryone but that is turning out to be our &quot; mission statment &quot; isnt it ? LOL Have a great weekend.

Randy
Team M7

Old 05-28-2004, 11:57 PM
SteelKite
2nd Gear
um ... sounds like a vendor anouncement to me.
sure is a shame how the forums are becomming diluted
with the 'ol money grab.

&quot;A painful sensation excited by a consciousness of guilt or impropriety, or of having done something which injures reputation, or of the exposure of that which nature or modesty prompts us to conceal.&quot;

Old 05-29-2004, 12:07 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
&gt;&gt;um ... sounds like a vendor anouncement to me.
&gt;&gt;sure is a shame how the forums are becomming diluted
&gt;&gt;with the 'ol money grab.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&quot;A painful sensation excited by a consciousness of guilt or impropriety, or of having done something which injures reputation, or of the exposure of that which nature or modesty prompts us to conceal.&quot;

Yes it is and as there has been a 3 day going on 4 earthlink blackout in some So Cal areas my partner who had the vendor announcement privilages was unable to post in the vendor area as we would have liked. My carrier has no problems so far LOL and as I did not have access to the vendor section at the time I posted this I was only able to post it here . I notified the managment of this site of our delema and there was no problem with it. As for the old money grub I am sorry you see it that way but with no money grub ( vendors ) , there would be no site and you would be forced to go to Mini2 or watch re runs this summer . Again I apologize for any incovenience this announcment may have caused you.

Randy
Team M7

Old 05-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Trippy
Banned
Max, if you loose tha attitude (as several other members have mentioned), you won't drive as many potential customers away from your company.

Old 05-29-2004, 12:34 AM
SteelKite
2nd Gear
I hear ya chief.
props on the ak.
luck with your ip.
um grub=grab? lol

just felt the need to express my heartfelt &quot;dissatisfaction&quot; with the forum's content
of late, almost wondering to myself why it used to be so pleasent to browse and
share in the enjoyment and common interests of many here.
I am sorry that your internet provider has you messed, and your post here is
really not a big deal and is well done. It just was one more little thing, a little
grain of sand, unfortunately from a source common to many other grains.

*The state of being dissatisfied, unsatisfied, or discontented; uneasiness proceeding from the want of gratification, or from disappointed wishes and expectations.

Old 05-29-2004, 03:47 AM
cuny
3rd Gear
once again looking for that trippy delete button. can someone tell me where it is on the keyboard. nam is getting to be a bummer

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior M7... Carbon Fiber Hood AVAILABLE