Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior RE: Short Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014 | 10:27 AM
daonlyillwiz
|
5th Gear
RE: Short Shifters

Who has experience with short shifters here...im not really looking for adustable shifters honestly, as long as its a short shifter im fine with that..if any one has input on either of the 2 i linked below please give me your .02

I was originally looking at this
http://www.detroittuned.com/craven-speed-short-shifter/

But i recently found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-SHORT-THROW-SHIFTER-02-03-MINI-COOPER-R50-R53-SS-MINI-/191005307867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACooper%7CSubmodel%3AS&hash=item2c78cdb3db&vxp=mtr

I would much rather get the cheaper one but if the craven speed is better then ill just go with whats better...but if its better i want to know why..

Old 02-24-2014 | 12:14 PM
johnvanrees09
1st Gear
The only experience I have is the Craven version. It is adjustable, tho I never adjust mine. I got the adjustable just in case my wife needs to drive the car (she is not good with a manual) that way I can raise it back up to factory. Looking at the one on ebay it looks similar to the craven just not adjustable. The factory mini shift **** presses on the shifter, so the ebay version looks as if you would need to purchase a different shift **** because it has screw on threads. But then again, the picture might be a little misleading... The craven will also come with the new mount bushings and screws also. I have been super happy with mine, very solid. Way Motor Works does have the craven shifter for cheaper then Detroit Tuned has it for, if that makes a difference. IMO I would go with the trusted brand Craven rather then something cheap off ebay, I've been burned a few times off cheap ebay products.

Old 02-24-2014 | 12:25 PM
daonlyillwiz
|
5th Gear
Im going to end up getting the craven shifter just because i know it uses m12x1.25mm threads for the shift **** and i would really love to use my weighted shift **** from my old race car (sentimental value).

The one i found on ebay also comes with teh solid shifter mount bushings but as you said its cheap *****..

Old 02-25-2014 | 06:02 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Like John said the Craven shifter is really the best one avail, can't go wrong with it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-28-2014 | 09:21 PM
MEBNME
1st Gear
But it was told it does t actually shorten the throw. Just the height, there was another one.. I forget the name. It just attaches to the bottom of the shift leaver, and actually shortens the throw.

Old 02-28-2014 | 09:52 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MEBNME
But it was told it does t actually shorten the throw. Just the height, there was another one.. I forget the name. It just attaches to the bottom of the shift leaver, and actually shortens the throw.
This http://www.waymotorworks.com/helix-short-shift-kit.html

Old 03-02-2014 | 09:21 PM
MEBNME
1st Gear
Exactly. The craven doesn't actully shorten the throw, this does. Right?

Old 03-03-2014 | 06:04 AM
daonlyillwiz
|
5th Gear
I believe the Craven one ONLY shortens the shifter height but not the actual throw...i could be wrong though because im still on a stock shifter lol

Old 03-03-2014 | 10:51 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
I believe the Craven one ONLY shortens the shifter height but not the actual throw...i could be wrong though because im still on a stock shifter lol
The Craven Shifter does change the throw. daonlyillwiz is correct that we shorten the height of the shifter up to 1 inch, but in doing so we also change the length below the fulcrum reducing the actual shift, not just the height. I would be glad to answer questions about how that works if it helps.

Old 03-03-2014 | 11:25 AM
MEBNME
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kellen
The Craven Shifter does change the throw. daonlyillwiz is correct that we shorten the height of the shifter up to 1 inch, but in doing so we also change the length below the fulcrum reducing the actual shift, not just the height. I would be glad to answer questions about how that works if it helps.
Personally, shorting the throw is all I want.. And well a threaded top lol. So if you can help by shedding light on the matter please do. I have read a lot of people say the Craven doesn't.

Old 03-03-2014 | 11:36 AM
daonlyillwiz
|
5th Gear
A threaded top is the most important thing for me honestly...M12x1.25 more specifically.

I have a billet stainless steel weighted shift **** (1lb) out of my old race car, ive had this **** since 2009 and is of sentimental value to me. I actually just finished drilling the hole out and retapping it to m12x1.25 so that i can use it with the craven short shifter when i order it.

Old 03-04-2014 | 03:57 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by MEBNME
Personally, shorting the throw is all I want.. And well a threaded top lol. So if you can help by shedding light on the matter please do. I have read a lot of people say the Craven doesn't.
I am not sure where the rumor comes from. Our shifter provides the shortest possible throw on the market.

To change the throw you need to change either the length above the fulcrum, below it, or both. When you add the Helix to the bottom of the shifter that means you don't have to move the **** as far to make the bottom move the same distance; shortening the throw.

With ours, you not only add length to the bottom like the Helix, you also reduce the height up above doubling the reduction in throw.

Old 03-04-2014 | 07:45 PM
RA082324
Banned

I am not sure where the rumor comes from. Our shifter provides the shortest possible throw on the market.

To change the throw you need to change either the length above the fulcrum, below it, or both. When you add the Helix to the bottom of the shifter that means you don't have to move the **** as far to make the bottom move the same distance; shortening the throw.

With ours, you not only add length to the bottom like the Helix, you also reduce the height up above doubling the reduction in throw.
this is only for 04+ though, correct? i was looking into shortshifts for me 4/03 and my only option was the non-adjustable, if i remember correctly. either way, both seem very nice.

Old 03-05-2014 | 04:57 AM
MEBNME
1st Gear

I believe it was a thread I had read on another forum(or this one, can't remember). Or this one, a few peoe stated that the Craven does nothing, and to just get the Helix.. But I found that hard to believe, since the Craven shifter I have for my Fiat 500t made a world of a difference.

Thankfully you replied and cleared that up, and I can continue on with my order this Friday xD

Thanks agian

Old 03-05-2014 | 05:28 PM
batdevice_
3rd Gear
Anything for R56?

Old 03-05-2014 | 05:40 PM
RA082324
Banned
Originally Posted by batdevice_
Anything for R56?
probably better asked in the 2nd gen section, but i believe craven and helix offer r56 short shifters as well. (craven offering the adjustable model)

Old 03-05-2014 | 05:47 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Craven speed is the best product on the market. Total adjustment, quality and design. You will wonder how you ever tolerated the oem shifter....

Last edited by HorseWithNoName; 03-05-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2014 | 08:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
I have a few of these old affordable short shifters in stock. and it has the threaded top your looking for, but it's not adjustable.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/value-s...0-r52-r53.html

only works for 04-06 Hardtop MINI or 05-08 Cabrio. Stock **** will not work.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 03-05-2014 | 08:08 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by batdevice_
Anything for R56?
Many many things for the R56. You just have to search...

Old 03-06-2014 | 10:31 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by jown.iv
this is only for 04+ though, correct? i was looking into shortshifts for me 4/03 and my only option was the non-adjustable, if i remember correctly. either way, both seem very nice.
We did stop making the 02-03 model a few years ago, but have recently been discussing making one more run of them. I could start a thread about it and see if we can get enough interest to justify making them.

Old 03-23-2014 | 01:28 PM
JonShar
1st Gear
Without meaning to gatecrash the thread, I'm really interested in picking one of these up for my R53. How difficult is the installation? Do you also have shift boot covers that fit? Cheers!

Old 03-24-2014 | 08:27 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Install can be pretty tough, no so much technically, just time consuming. Most people find the toughest part is just releasing the oem shifter from the housing. You have to engage a few clips all at the same time, and then wriggle it free from the housing.

Would those of you who have done it agree, that is the hardest part?

Old 03-24-2014 | 08:35 AM
daonlyillwiz
|
5th Gear
I got the ebay shifter and honestly i dont see anything wrong with the build quality. I installed it this past saturday and i think the hardest part for me was taking the damn exhaust off. I was able to get the lower nut on the exhaust flange fairly quickly but the upper one was seized on, and to make matters worse the rust that built up on it made it hard for my socket/wrench to fit over it...eventually after 1 hour of struggling with it i was able to get it off. I went to the store and got 2 stainless steel nuts to replace the 2 crap ones that came on the exhaust (preventative measures).

As far as getting the clips all at the same time i was able to do it with the help of my wife thankfully but i can see how it would be a PITA to do it alone heh.

here is the end result:

Old 03-24-2014 | 08:37 AM
JonShar
1st Gear
Install can be pretty tough, no so much technically, just time consuming. Most people find the toughest part is just releasing the oem shifter from the housing. You have to engage a few clips all at the same time, and then wriggle it free from the housing.

Would those of you who have done it agree, that is the hardest part?
Thanks for the info Kellen, I appreciate it!

Old 03-24-2014 | 08:41 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
man that is small, i feel liek that would be too much a reach for me

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior RE: Short Shifters