Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R56 Rearview Mirror Upgrade to Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 AM
bofus
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Rearview Mirror Upgrade to Homelink

2008 MCS:

So, I bought a mirror off ebay that has homelink and auto-dimming. My mirror has nothing. I quickly figured out I need to add power for homelink, so I ordered the kit from ecstuning that adds two wires missing in my harness. Not a bad job to run the wires from the mirror base into the fuse panel and then add the two wires into the two harnesses.

Partial success: I have Homelink now working and it isn't active with the car off. Hurray!

Fail: can't unlock/lock the car. I know the receiver for the remotes is built into the mirror.

The German instructions indicate I need to do some sort of programming in order to integrate it to the car.

1) Is is a dealer-only thing? If so, what do I tell them so not to confuse them?

2) Is there software available (with cable) that allows me to do it myself?

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
Did you move the receiver from your old mirror to your new mirror? There's a walkthrough on how to disassemble the mirror to do it. That should solve your problem.

EDIT: Here's the link for walk-through with pictures. You don't have to put the receiver in the new mirror, it just needs to be hooked up and in the car.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11444..._ahqfLkrXmjQE1

Last edited by s0n1c; 05-23-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: adding link for walk-through
Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 PM
bofus
Neutral
(No permission to view Google album)

Upon further inspection, the mirror I bought off ebay is an R52 mirror and I have a R56. There are a lot of problems doing this upgrade if you take it on, so here's the 10K foot overview of what to do.

I started with a manual mirror: power nothing and had the manual dip dial on the bottom of the mirror. I wanted Homelink and thought "how hard can it be"?

I find the R52 uses a different frequency than the R56, so I went about trying to move the circuit board containing the reciever from my old mirror to the new one.

First problem: the stock cheapie mirror is actually glued together. You will likely destroy the mirror (I did) taking it apart. The R52 mirror comes apart easily.

Second problem: there is a little plastic ramp in the R52 that prevents the R56 receiver from fitting. Just trim that away with some wire cutters and it'll fit properly.

Third problem: The R52 mirror only has three wires going to the receiver board, you need four. Pull one wire from your old mirror connector and insert it into pin 1 and splice that wire inside the mirror to the brown wire going to the auto-dimming circuit board.

Re-assemble mirror and you're set. Took me a few hours to figure out what was missing and determine which wires will be fully powered.

I haven't tested the auto-dimming feature, but I can now lock/un-lock the car and the Homelink buttons are lighting up only with the key "in".