Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Vinyl stripe related questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinyl stripe related questions

So I'm going to try to prep my rear hatch for a vinyl stripe and decided to debadge the MINI emblem. The "prep" is to fill the two holes... left from the badge.

Name:  DSC_0068_zps261ddcbf.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  56.1 KB

I got some mesh and plan on epoxying that behind and then the bondo will have something to bond to. Does that sound like a good plan? If so, how do I remove the inside panel? I removed the bolts and two rubber things by the glass - am I going to have to just break the plastic clips that I can just see behind and order new ones?

Name:  DSC_0062_zps1736f79f.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  66.0 KB

And last question - vinyl dude says he may not be able to striped all the way down the valence... The stripe is 17" wide so I get the issue, but is it time to find a new vinyl dude? I can't see ending this stripe above the valence.

Name:  DSC_0073_zpscd7803e8.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  47.9 KB

Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd end the stripe at the bottom of the hatch before ending it at the valance on the bumper with the valance being body colored. The OE sport stripes end at the hatch and actually look pretty good. I'd expect a good vinyl guy to be able to apply the stripe to the valance if that's what you want.

Was going to suggest the GP splitter as an alternative to the valance, but then you'd have to do something with the non-S exhaust.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Agreed on everything. Going to check with another vinyl dude this week. If worse comes to worse and everyone balks about the valance, I could wrap it in carbon fiber or black. If they can wrap a car, they can wrap a valance. I've seen this valance in black on a light colored MINI somewhere around here...

Old 06-06-2014, 06:26 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Both are mods I have done or working on myself. Having done the vinyl down the bumper covers I can say it's not an easy task but totally doable. Must use masking tape as a guide on either side/middle if sport stripes to lay them down correctly. If you don't use the tape as a guide they can come out crooked. I also used a hair dryer to soften the stripes some make them go where I wanted them to. Be careful not to use too much heat since it can distort the vinyl stripe's surface leaving a ruddy finish.

9f9c0722-a596-4bba-96d3-fdd3c0e9eecc.jpg?t=1402017686

Reason why bumpers are not as easy as one would think is that the bumpers are slightly curved from L to R and top is not perfectly flat so vinyl will have a tendency to flare outwards when going down the face of it.

As far a plugging up the holes goes....unless it's perfectly flat, and I mean PERFECT any imperfections under the vinyl will be visibly magnified ten fold on the surface of the stripe. The best way would be to fill weld, grind, sand, prime and repaint....

Possible alternative to covering filled holes on black stripes would be to just put two black shiny plugs in there from an Aubuchon Hardware store....

Old 06-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
gRay rAvEn - glad you chimed in. Yeah, there's just no way I would try to stripe it myself for all the reasons you stated. I'll get these holes filled and I just hope that I can find the right vinyl dude.

Bonded in some mesh after pulling the inside panel. Only broke 2 clips.

Name:  DSCF0001_zps599c9195.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  58.3 KB

Getting back there to bond the mesh wasn't easy - there's bracing in the way and you have to reach in from the side a few inches to secure it... But got it done and then closed the hatch and got one coat of bondo on. Almost, but the left hole needs a second shot. I pushed it a little too far. Read your post about imperfections magnifying under vinyl and I'll address this in the second coat.

Name:  DSCF0008_zps6d266e85.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  61.3 KB

Old 06-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Second coat finished. Removed two stickers from my rear glass to clean it up.
Do I really need to prime and paint this? Keep in mind I won't be changing my mind - the front stripe is painted.

Name:  DSCF0015_zps24a9cfcc.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0017_zps6c7c1ac1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  44.9 KB

It's nice and smooth...

Old 06-09-2014, 03:12 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Looks like you've got exposed metal around those holes. If you don't want them rusting out you need to get some primer on that.If you're covering the area up with a stripe and don't care what it looks like underneath just mask off everywhere around the area and hit 'em with a quick spray of primer and paint from a rattle can.

Edit: exposed metal around the left hole, rather.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:56 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That Bondo will shrink/pop. I was hoping you were not planning on hitting the OE paint with sand paper. The correct way would been to have welded plugs and ground it smooth..

(which, since you have sanded the paint.. personally, I'd go back and do it right..)

I only know this from doing things like this on the back of VW Golfs... Wiper deletes and badge removals...

Slamming the trunk closed.. and rattles from the road will knock things loose..

Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Nicely done !

What was used to secure the back webbing to the hatch, JB Weld ?

I would think if back was secure enough and it was primed painted, the hole not being that big you might be ok. But prime/paint is a definite must do.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
oem paint in a rattle can be had from Way Motor Works....or least he used to sell it.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
oem paint in a rattle can be had from Way Motor Works....or least he used to sell it.
If not you can get matched paint from automotivetouchup.com

danjreed makes a really good point... If you know someone with a welder it wouldn't take much to close up those two holes.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 AM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Correct, vinyl can go all the way.

About the badge shaving, I recommend going the welding plug route. Reason for this, are several. I personally don't like bondo. It will shrink/expand different then the surrounding areas. It cracks, and overall creates more headache than anything else- even in tiny holes such as these. Your climate, closing the hatch (and even side doors), and even overall road shenanigans will play in effect. Fiberglass would be better. DEFINITLY prep the bare metal (including inside).

Old 06-11-2014, 06:55 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Been thinking about the bondo and how it will hold up to the change in cabin pressures while opening and closing the doors ect.

The MINI like many other cars have built in "flap areas" to vent compressed air as boot and doors are closed. This could potentially be an issue for a plug material such as this.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Took it to a body shop for an estimate on a couple of things... long story short, he took a look at the bondo and he thought it would likely do fine with the vinyl over top of it. I'm looking at this as an inexpensive experiment to see how it holds up - if it shrinks, cracks I can always peel that small section of vinyl and start over.

I do want the boot handle in PW and run the stripe right over it. Buying one new from MINI is ridiculous - over $200 and it's just primed to be painted. The body shop could sand my chrome one and paint it for $125, but he doesn't recommend painting over chrome.

I would love to just swap my chrome boot handle for someone's PW so if you hear of anyone who just LOVES chrome, let me know.

I'm going to find a rattle can of PW and get that area covered very soon... Thanks for the sources on that.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Took it to a body shop for an estimate on a couple of things... long story short, he took a look at the bondo and he thought it would likely do fine with the vinyl over top of it. I'm looking at this as an inexpensive experiment to see how it holds up - if it shrinks, cracks I can always peel that small section of vinyl and start over.

I do want the boot handle in PW and run the stripe right over it. Buying one new from MINI is ridiculous - over $200 and it's just primed to be painted. The body shop could sand my chrome one and paint it for $125, but he doesn't recommend painting over chrome.

I would love to just swap my chrome boot handle for someone's PW so if you hear of anyone who just LOVES chrome, let me know.

I'm going to find a rattle can of PW and get that area covered very soon... Thanks for the sources on that.
I have a boot handle in PW. Just pay for the shipping and its yours.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I knew if I put this out there, something would turn up! Very nice of you, BMC - thank you!

I'll pm you my info tonight some time.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Here's where you guys get a good laugh. I clearly should have taped this off differently... But I was able to sand down the hard edges, will get some 400-500 grit sandpaper and get it prepped for paint.

I ordered a can of PW from automotive touch-up (thanks gRay rAvEn) and a can of high gloss clear coat. When I paint it, I'm planning on taping off the rear glass from the belt line up, removing the boot handle and taping off below and then give my self a 15" wide area to spray in.

I'll take any direction on the proper way to finish this off...

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl stripe related questions-dscf0035.jpg   Vinyl stripe related questions-dscf0039.jpg   Vinyl stripe related questions-dscf0056.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 05:51 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Looks like your doing a good job! If you ever need paint. Just go to any automotive parts store that deals with paint. They can color match your car and put it in a rattle can for you.. all for about $23. Just make sure you scuff the area where you will be clearing also. Then you can blend in. good luck!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Found my vinyl dude! He'll be able to stripe it down to the bottom of the valance, no problem. He took a good look at the bondo job and is suggesting to wet sand and not paint. If my rattle can job is less than perfect (which is likely!) then it will show through the vinyl.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Not sure why you couldn't wet sand the paint just like you're going to wet sand the primer, but regardless the vinyl should keep moisture away from the primer so I'd expect that to be fine. Glad to hear you found a guy who will do the job you wanted. When do we get pics?

Old 06-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
You know, I may just try it anyway. You're right - I could wet sand any issues and I think I'd feel better knowing that it's fully painted underneath the stripe. And I did pay for the paint and clear coat (arrived today on my birthday as if on cue ) so I may as well use it.

My PW boot handle (care of BMC_Kid ) should be here tomorrow. So I'm hoping to get that on after I paint it this weekend and I should be able to get it to the vinyl dude by the middle of next week.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Thanks to grueinthebox, I went ahead and started spraying tonight.

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl stripe related questions-dscf0066.jpg   Vinyl stripe related questions-dscf0068.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
After 2 coats of PW from automotivetouchup...

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl stripe related questions-dscf0071.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Wish I could rename this thread, "good reasons to go to a body shop". Everything actually looked swell after my third coat of clear. But something happened with the fourth coat that gave it a matte finish. At this point, I'm just hoping to just smooth it out with 1500 and 2000 grit black and call it a day...

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl stripe related questions-dscf0114.jpg  

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Vinyl stripe related questions