Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Headlights & aftermarket H7 bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 07:25 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights & aftermarket H7 bulbs

The other day I noticed that one of the day-time running lights was burned out. So I opened the bonnet, pulled the rubber cover to get access to the dead bulb. When I pulled on the plastic connector, part of it crumbled in my hand. The plastic appeared dried out and felt brittle. I looked at the other three connectors and felt one of the other connectors. All the same, dried out and very brittle.

I talked to my local mechanic and he said that the current aftermarket H7 bulbs appeared to generate more heat than the stock bulbs. The heat generated also melted some of the plastic insulation off of the wire.

So to get around to my question, does any one know what size the H7 connectors are??? I feel that I must replace all four of the connectors just to be on the safe side. Has anyone else experienced this problem???

Old 06-30-2004, 07:57 PM
rg
3rd Gear
Why not get direct replacements at the dealer?! And go back to standard bulbs. Sounds like your asking for trouble with the bulbs you've got. Hot bulbs...deteriorating connectors...sounds like a good old fashioned Lucas attack waiting to happen.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:55 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im using 55w Polarg superwhite H7's and they work flawless on my DRL's..not
to mention nice whiter color. :smile:

Old 06-30-2004, 10:01 PM
CirqueDeSoMini
2nd Gear
Paddy check this guy out...car bulbs

Old 07-01-2004, 04:51 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rg
Why not get direct replacements at the dealer?! And go back to standard bulbs. Sounds like your asking for trouble with the bulbs you've got. Hot bulbs...deteriorating connectors...sounds like a good old fashioned Lucas attack waiting to happen.
While going back to the OEM bulbs is always a possibility, that does not fix the problem of the connector/socket breaking apart and needing to be replaced. I would like to just replace just the connector and not whole wiring harness as I need to do this for all 4 bulbs. Since I took delivery of my MINI on 4/16/02 and have put just over 63,000 miles, I think that I might be expeirncing some of the problems others will see in the future.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:23 PM
jinubob81
4th Gear
i seem to remember somebody who had their turning signal (on the front) get messed up and somehow had the connector break, but not the bulb. I say just grab a service guy, show him the part you need, and order it. I seem to remember that turning signal's connector being like... $20? i cant be sure.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:27 AM
paddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jinubob81
i seem to remember somebody who had their turning signal (on the front) get messed up and somehow had the connector break, but not the bulb. I say just grab a service guy, show him the part you need, and order it. I seem to remember that turning signal's connector being like... $20? i cant be sure.
Thanks, going to look into that. May have identified other sources of the part, need to check them out. Trying to stay away from ordering the entire wiring harne$$.