Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Lighting Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Eastbaybrit
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lighting Question...

I have an MCS with the Xenons and love the pure, white, bright light they give. What I don't like is the normal 'warm' looking bulbs of the running lights, the high beam and even the rally lights. They just don't match!!

I have a few questions...

1. What would you recommend for replacement bulbs that would give a similar color to the Xenons?
2. Can I replace the 55w bulbs that are currently in the high beam and rally lights with 100w?
3. How do I get the running light bulbs out? Do they pry out or twist, or what - there is very little space to get your hand in there!

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
1.) don't know
2.) don't know
3.) there is clips on all connectors of all lights. all you need to do is press the back of the clip and it pulls out straight. look close to the front marker lights in the bumper and you will see what i mean.

good luck

Old 07-02-2004, 12:31 AM
movieman
4th Gear
I have changed out my running lights with "bluevision" light bulbs. They aren't perfect, but they look a ton nicer than the factory. I got them free when I ordered the "silvervision" lights for my turn signals. I don't remember the website. The harness that holds the running light bulbs in twists out, and the bulb can be changed and reinserted in. I have also changed out the highbeams with a bluevision type of highbeam. I paid $20 including shipping (sale). Don't remember the website there either. Sorry.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Eastbaybrit
1st Gear
Thanks guys. Can I buy those bulbs from Kragen? What type/size are they?

Also, has anyone changed from 55w to anything higher with any success?

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eastbaybrit
I have a few questions...

1. What would you recommend for replacement bulbs that would give a similar color to the Xenons?
2. Can I replace the 55w bulbs that are currently in the high beam and rally lights with 100w?
3. How do I get the running light bulbs out? Do they pry out or twist, or what - there is very little space to get your hand in there!
1. I don't know.

2. a. "...55w bulbs that are currently in the high beam...with 100w?" I would say not. You would be adding additional load to the circuit. That could very well give you problems.

2. b. "...rally lights with 100w?" You may be able to put the 100w bulbs here, if the circuit can handle the load. I can not tell you how to check the circuit's rating. A look at the fuse box may help, but I would trust the advise of others before mine on how to checkout circuit load.

3. I dont know.
Good luck,
John

Old 07-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a wide range of aftermarket bulbs that will give a much whiter color. I have done several interesting lighting mods that have been a lot of fun and have made my MINI lighting somewhat unique.

First, I wanted brighter highbeam bulbs but I wanted a classic Euro rally look and went with some imported PIAA Ion Crystal amber bulbs for my high-beams. The PIAA's produce significantly more light with the same 55W rating that the stock bulbs do. I believe PIAA claims that they produce the equivalent of 110watts of light from a standard bulb.

Although you don't want the amber look, PIAA makes a range of bulbs that produce brighter whiter light.

I also upgraded the 55W bulbs in my PIAA rally lights to a set of 85W that produce LOTS more light than standard bulbs. I used bulbs from PIAA's "Xtreme White" series of bulbs and I think you will be very pleased with the color that these put out.

PIAA bulbs are not cheap, and the silverstars or other cheaper bulbs might produce the same effect, but I'm sold on the PIAA's. With just a set of ordinary looking rally lights and upgraded highbeams, my MINI can put out more light than one with 4 rally lights with ordinary bulbs.

Here's my previous thread on the matter: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=24578

And let me address your speciic questions:

1. What would you recommend for replacement bulbs that would give a similar color to the Xenons? PIAA X-treme White bulbs

2. Can I replace the 55w bulbs that are currently in the high beam and rally lights with 100w? Yes, but you will soon fry your wiring harness and spend a LOT of money replacing it unless you modify it to work with those bulbs. I discussed this with my local independent BMW mechanic and he told me that he had replaced an expensive wiring harness in a car that had 100W bulbs installed in a 55W harness.

1) Pull aside the round black rubber cover
2) unplug the black plub by pulling straight down
3) You will see a wire loop. Push it in and slide it to the right. It will come down on a hinge and release the bulb. You will notice that the bulb has some prongs on the metal base that locate it correctly in the housing.
4) Reinstall the new bulbs in reverse order

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 07-02-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
...First, I wanted brighter highbeam bulbs but I wanted a classic Euro rally look and went with some imported PIAA Ion Crystal amber bulbs for my high-beams. The PIAA's produce significantly more light with the same 55W rating that the stock bulbs do. I believe PIAA claims that they produce the equivalent of 110watts of light from a standard bulb....
Just a short thread sice diversion... could you please cite the site you ordered the PIAA Ion Crystal amber high-beams bulbs.
Tks
John

Old 07-06-2004, 06:14 AM
Eastbaybrit
1st Gear
Thanks for the advice people!!!

Old 07-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Eastbaybrit
1st Gear
Has anyone replaced the bulbs for the Fog Lamps? The service manual (online PDF version) says to 'contact a MINI Dealer in case of malfunction'...