Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R53 Front LED light bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:40 AM
qolor
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The only picture they'd let me take because they had cop cars sitting in their lot. Here is the lowdown.

Front bumper, cracked, replace all associated trim with bumper.
Hood looks fine. Replace black plastic panel.
Front A-panel (Fender?) completely thrashed. Replace.
All of the front suspension is gone. Rim broken, axle gone, only thing holding it on was I believe an upper control arm. Didn't look too close, was in too much emotional pain.
Rear rim is bent from when I snapped it back after the first slide and it hit the median sending me catapulting side to side as I tried to save it. No idea if there is any damage suspension wise in the rear. Most likely.

They had me take my tags off. This looks like a total loss here. I have never cried over a car until today. My emotions are going ****ing crazy.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:49 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Are you thinking the are going to total it out... ?

Old 01-16-2016, 08:59 AM
qolor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BigBoost
Are you thinking the are going to total it out... ?
from my few years in a body shop I'd say yes. my mind is going crazy. it's alot of damage and i wont let them put used parts on the car. would rather have them total it and give me the check so i can buy it back and fix it myself.. or buy a new 135i.. or a new mini.. my mind is going in all directions. i still havent fully come to the realization of what happened last night. i just want to cry and go to sleep but i have to do adult stuff

Old 01-16-2016, 09:20 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Yeah ive seen a few thing's about insurances and mini cooper dont go to gather to well.
but i feel you're pain i felt the same away when my mk3 vrt was taken from me. but then i got into mini's so life good ahha

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 02-28-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: img sz
Old 01-16-2016, 02:06 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tough to lose any car, but a Mini is really bad. Sorry to hear that. You're not hurt from accident, so that's a definite good thing. Do the best thing you can financially, or at least what makes the most sense. If you can't fix your Mini, a new Mini would go a long way to help cheer you up. I know that would work for me.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:09 AM
qolor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
Tough to lose any car, but a Mini is really bad. Sorry to hear that. You're not hurt from accident, so that's a definite good thing. Do the best thing you can financially, or at least what makes the most sense. If you can't fix your Mini, a new Mini would go a long way to help cheer you up. I know that would work for me.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Thank you for the kind words. They had me take the tags off Saturday strictly based off of the description of "the wheel is turned 90 degrees to the body of the car" without even looking at it. Rough math says that its like 3500 in parts alone and I wont let them use non-OEM parts. Body shop experience tells me it never ends well... Not including labor time, or paint materials, or really anything other than parts, and even if it is repaired I know it will never be the same car. I am waiting to hear from insurance. Part of me wants it to total so I can clear my mind. Part of me doesnt because I love this car and it holds much value to me past a driving machine. Part of me wants it to total so I can buy it back and fix it and make it into a race car, and part of me just wants it to be over and go to sleep..

Old 01-18-2016, 06:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by qolor
Don't think this project is ever going to get done. Today on the highway I paniced braked ontop of water. Sent the back of the car sling shotting. Saved myself from sliding backwards across 2 lanes of traffic, but smashed the mini into the concrete median 3 times. I used to work in a body shop and it looks pretty bad. All of the suspension on driver side front is gone. Wheel is at a 90 degree angle to the body of the car. Axle is popped out. Bumper(s) hood fender are ruined along with associated trim. No airbags deployed. Not even a seatbelt tensioner. I had to on my Scroth harnesses (the legal for road use ones) and the anti submarining technology part didnt even rip. It wasnt that bad but its alot of damage.

Was stuck in the fast lane on a busy highway for 30mins waiting for police. and for icing on the cake.. a 130 dollar ticket for being in a SINGLE CAR ACCIDENT and a 90 dollar ticket for above prudent speed. Worst ****ing night ever. Going to go see my baby tomorrow. Night everyone.
Wow, sorry to hear that

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-15-2016, 08:54 AM
qolor
4th Gear
Long awaited update. Car totaled. 9,000 in dmg. I might buy it back and attempt to fix it.

I am buying a new car thursday. Gray bottom, silver top, bone stock R53 with 63k miles. Climate control, heated seats, bluetooth and steering wheel controls. No fancy xenons (good for projector retrofits). Car has everything I want and the color combo is amazing.

This project will continue. Thanks for being patient everyone.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:24 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Post up next project.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-15-2016, 03:53 PM
qolor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Post up next project.
Should I make a build thread? The car is bone stock..

Old 02-15-2016, 05:38 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Long awaited update. Car totaled. 9,000 in dmg. I might buy it back and attempt to fix it. I am buying a new car thursday. Gray bottom, silver top, bone stock R53 with 63k miles. Climate control, heated seats, bluetooth and steering wheel controls. No fancy xenons (good for projector retrofits). Car has everything I want and the color combo is amazing. This project will continue. Thanks for being patient everyone.
excellent to see your getting another

Old 02-15-2016, 06:19 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Looks like a happy ending considering circumstances... and you have another Mini!! Pictures, build thread... put it all up!! Congrats on the new Mini

Old 02-15-2016, 07:27 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Glad to see you getting back into a mini.. and looking forward to see that build thread. I just started my light bar for my r56

Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BigBoost
Glad to see you getting back into a mini.. and looking forward to see that build thread. I just started my light bar for my r56
That looks interesting... hope you put up some details for us!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:20 AM
qolor
4th Gear
That looks interesting... hope you put up some details for us!
His light setup is similar to mine (my old one) it seems. I will be making a new build thread for my car. I will update this thread and my new one with LED bar progress, but first.. I ordered a pulley. I need to get it home, do a detail, register + inspect it, and then install a pulley
After that install the LED bar. All the while buying my old car back to either part out, or repair to turn into a track car.

Also , thank you everyone for the kind words. This was a really rough patch for me. Recent job change, wrecked my car, insurance jerking me around FOR A MONTH. I hope to be moving on with my new car

Old 02-16-2016, 11:47 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
qolor
Long awaited update. Car totaled. 9,000 in dmg. I might buy it back and attempt to fix it.

I am buying a new car thursday. Gray bottom, silver top, bone stock R53 with 63k miles. Climate control, heated seats, bluetooth and steering wheel controls. No fancy xenons (good for projector retrofits). Car has everything I want and the color combo is amazing.

This project will continue. Thanks for being patient everyone.

Best of luck! Looks like things are turning out good for you! That's what counts.

Last edited by MiniRoadstah; 02-18-2016 at 07:48 AM. Reason: qolor quote missing...
Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 AM
goneFXcrazy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R53 Front LED light bar

Wow, the project is not dead! I just finished getting my 20" Rigid SR in my R60's lower scoop, would love to see how yours turns out!

R53 Front LED light bar-photo882.jpg

Old 02-17-2016, 04:09 AM
qolor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by goneFXcrazy
Wow, the project is not dead! I just finished getting my 20" Rigid SR in my R60's lower scoop, would love to see how yours turns out!

Attachment 121164
Mine will be hidden. Your bar is the PERFECT size. Amazing. If this morimoto bar doesnt work out (i think it will) ill swap to a main brand bar. Maybe a Ridgid or a Baja Designs.

Also, yes the project has been revived hehe

Old 02-17-2016, 06:43 AM
goneFXcrazy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R53 Front LED light bar

Mine will be hidden. Your bar is the PERFECT size. Amazing. If this morimoto bar doesnt work out (i think it will) ill swap to a main brand bar. Maybe a Ridgid or a Baja Designs.

Also, yes the project has been revived hehe
Thanks, it is truly the perfect size. A few mm taller and it would not have fit.

This is one of 5 Rigid products I've owned, all have been exceptional.

R53 Front LED light bar-photo363.jpg

Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Should I make a build thread? The car is bone stock..

Yes.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:28 AM
qolor
4th Gear
Taking her/him (?) home today. !!!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:26 AM
qolor
4th Gear
It wouldn't let me insert the RAW files after being converted to JPG, so I had to downsize them, but its home!

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 02-28-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:27 AM
qolor
4th Gear
So, the owner informed me it had been in an accident. Driver side quarter panel. No big deal, everything lined up, paint matches.

Got it home and began investigating (I worked in a body shop for a few years) come to find out it must have been one hell of an accident, the whole quarter panel was replaced!!

I am not concerned about this though. There is a slight gap between the top of the rear bumper and the quarter. Whatever. Paint matches, the piece was replaced not repaired (thank god) and it looks fantastic.

I am super excited to begin modding this. I got the OEM rims with the car, and these rims. They have low mileage Pilot Sport A/S3's on them. Good for my winter wheels!!!

(If anyone wants me to post a guide on some of the tell tale signs of body repair, let me know and I'll post a guide.)

Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
So, the owner informed me it had been in an accident. Driver side quarter panel. No big deal, everything lined up, paint matches.

Got it home and began investigating (I worked in a body shop for a few years) come to find out it must have been one hell of an accident, the whole quarter panel was replaced!!

I am not concerned about this though. There is a slight gap between the top of the rear bumper and the quarter. Whatever. Paint matches, the piece was replaced not repaired (thank god) and it looks fantastic.

I am super excited to begin modding this. I got the OEM rims with the car, and these rims. They have low mileage Pilot Sport A/S3's on them. Good for my winter wheels!!!

(If anyone wants me to post a guide on some of the tell tale signs of body repair, let me know and I'll post a guide.)
Info on tell tale signs of body repair... always good to read... so yes, by all means, when you have the time.

Definitely looks like a great R53. Color combination one of the best. As long as it drives straight and everything's solid... good to go. Easy to damage skin on any car.

Enjoying seeing green grass, too!

Old 02-18-2016, 01:53 PM
qolor
4th Gear
Info on tell tale signs of body repair... always good to read... so yes, by all means, when you have the time.

Definitely looks like a great R53. Color combination one of the best. As long as it drives straight and everything's solid... good to go. Easy to damage skin on any car.

Enjoying seeing green grass, too!
I am seeing greener grass. I will post a guide when I have time this weekend.

This car is odd. When you remove the key from the ignition it unlocks. You can roll up the windows by sticking the fob in the key hole, turning and holding but you can not roll down the windows with the keyfob by holding unlock like I could with my old R53. Super strange. custom coding?

Hopefully getting it state inspected tomorrow. Then begins the mods. The wheels on the car have brand new Pilot A/S3s on it so those are my new winter wheels. The back scrubs the slightest bit over bumps. Its just against the plastic trim. I might leave it how it is. It came with some OEM rims. Strange ones. Probably going to sell them for super cheap as they are heavy and I don't care for them. Eventually I'll be buying some 17x7.5 or something for some summer tires.

I ordered the pulley. I am ordering a new set of grilles tonight. Same ones as my old car.

ALSO I got an offer from insurance for my old car. 9600, 3,000 more than I paid for it!! I am buying that back and fixing it.

Can't wait to start a build journal for this car. I am so relived this is all over!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior R53 Front LED light bar