Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Noise in the boot

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise in the boot

Hello all,

I know there has been much published here at NAM regarding noise and boot latches on the early Cooper and S's, but I thought they had fixed the problem with the 04's (of which I am a proud owner).

I haven't had any problems until just recently. As a point of reference, I've just hit 9000 miles. Those of you who live on the East Coast can attest that it's been a bit on the warm side lately. After letting the car heat soak in the sun all day, I notice a noise coming from the boot. When I drive in to work during the wee hours of the morning, I don't here the sound.

I've tried removing everything that could possible make noise from the car, and still the noise remains. It definitely seems to be coming from inside the car vs. a mechanical noise from outside. It's not a metal on metal sound.

Any ideas ?? Has anyone else noted such behaviour ??
Am I going mad ........????

BB

Old 08-04-2004, 12:57 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it a rattling noise? I've got an 03 that rattles--the boot latch. I just wrap it with some electrical tape it's fixed. They supposedly have a new ring/latch that solves the problem. I didn't hear the noise until around 10,000 miles on my car.

Originally Posted by Blue Brummie
Hello all,

I know there has been much published here at NAM regarding noise and boot latches on the early Cooper and S's, but I thought they had fixed the problem with the 04's (of which I am a proud owner).

I haven't had any problems until just recently. As a point of reference, I've just hit 9000 miles. Those of you who live on the East Coast can attest that it's been a bit on the warm side lately. After letting the car heat soak in the sun all day, I notice a noise coming from the boot. When I drive in to work during the wee hours of the morning, I don't here the sound.

I've tried removing everything that could possible make noise from the car, and still the noise remains. It definitely seems to be coming from inside the car vs. a mechanical noise from outside. It's not a metal on metal sound.

Any ideas ?? Has anyone else noted such behaviour ??
Am I going mad ........????

BB

Old 08-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Is it a rattling noise? I've got an 03 that rattles--the boot latch. I just wrap it with some electrical tape it's fixed. They supposedly have a new ring/latch that solves the problem. I didn't hear the noise until around 10,000 miles on my car.
Hey Octane Guy --

It's not so much a rattle as a knock when I hit the slightest of bumps. If I hit a good size bump, I don't hear it.

BB

Old 08-04-2004, 01:01 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you hear the knock, is it just one knock, or several knocks in series?

Hey Octane Guy --

It's not so much a rattle as a knock when I hit the slightest of bumps. If I hit a good size bump, I don't hear it.

BB

Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
To the best of my recollection, it's been just one knock with each bump, but if there are several small bumps in a row, then it can sound like a series of small knocks.

BB

Old 08-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Bump

Any ideas anyone ??

Anyone ??

Buehler ?
Buehler ?
Buehler ?

Old 08-04-2004, 02:16 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're not going mad...but you will be soon.

Bring it to the dealer..that's what I am going to do, unless I change the tires and suspension first!

Old 08-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Cynamini
3rd Gear
Any ideas anyone ??

Anyone ??

Buehler ?
Buehler ?
Buehler ?

I'd try putting some electrical tape on the boot latch (what can it hurt if it doesn't work?) And if that doesn't solve your problem take it to a dealer.

Good Luck!

-Cyn

Old 08-04-2004, 04:12 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Mabey you battery is a little loose.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:24 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
I've got a 7/02 build. that did the same thing and the tape worked for mine. I think I wrapped it 4-5 times, the hatch was a little harder to close at first, but now it has chewed the tape up some and fits just right. good luck

Old 08-05-2004, 05:11 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
OK, I'll try the tape. It just seems weird that it's temperature dependent. This morning it was much cooler (60's), and I didn't hear a thing.

I'm perplexed......

BB

Old 08-05-2004, 05:57 AM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
What about the little rubber ***** that are attached to the support string on the rear deck in the boot. I know when I'm cornering hard or motoring over rough ground they tend to swing around and hit the side panels in the boot. Took me awhile to figure that one out.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:08 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My MCS has ~9,400 miles and has developed a noise in the boot as well. Mine sounds like creaking panels. It didn't start until the weather got warm. I think I'll try the electrical tape fix and plan on getting the dealer to look at it during the first service.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:12 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
hey blue brummie,try these too:put a little white lithium grease on the loop side of the latch.Also, check to see if the two rubber bumpers on either side of the hatch are loose,cause if they back out,it affects the quality of the closing,which seems to produce the noises you are talking about.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:19 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
No matter how ghetto it sounds (or is), the electrical tape wrap of the boot latch will fix it. 2 to 3 turns and you're set to motor, quietly

Old 08-05-2004, 09:51 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Success!!!

At lunch, I wrapped the metal loop with a couple of layers of electrical tape. On the way back, I drove over the worst paved road I could find and did not hear a sound. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I used RED electrical tape. Do you suppose that's good for a few extra ponies?

Old 08-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Black is better

I've read numerous articles on how Black electrical tape is much better. It offers similar HP gains as other electrical tape, but because it absorbs light, the extra push from photons will definitely increase acceleration and top speed !! But, you'll have to cut a hole in your boot for the light to hit the tape. I'd say that's a small price to pay for the extra performance !!

BB

Old 08-05-2004, 11:20 AM
JCampos
6th Gear
But shouldn't you worry about heat issues from the black tape?? mean, sure it generates a few extra hp, but the extra heat might become a huge issue down the road. I would play it safe and stick with the RED tape as opposed to the black tape until someone with black tape puts a good 20,000 miles on and doesnt have any issues.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
I'll give your "RED" electrical tape concept some thought as I'm filling my tires with helium to make them lighter ....

Old 08-05-2004, 02:06 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Helium??!! Man, you have alot to learn... Hydrogen is where its at

Old 08-05-2004, 05:30 PM
section8
2nd Gear
Damn! I spent over two hours trouble shooting this same problem. As a last resort ended up rapping the latch with tape. And It Worked!!!!! Just wish I would have read this thread three weeks ago. BTW I have 8,900 miles on my MCS.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:39 PM
GRNSTRK
1st Gear
thump

I have a "thump" in the boot area (or underneath) when I first start rolling in the morning, right about the time the doors lock (10 mpg). I've never been able to figure out what it is and it never repeats itself the rest of the day.

Any thoughts?

Wendy
MC CVT, 12/02 build, 4/03 delivery, 17,800 miles

Old 08-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JCampos
Helium??!! Man, you have alot to learn... Hydrogen is where its at
I was going with Hydrogen initially, but then I figured I needed just a little extra rotational mass to make the care more driveable on my daily commute. I didn't want the car to be too twitchy. My race tires will definitely be filled with Hydrogen.

By the way, after further research, I believe I'm going to stick with the black electrical tape. Here's the argument. The black tape on the rear of the car does absorb light better, thus heating up. The extra heat isn't a problem, because the distance from the engine won't affect the IAT for the supercharger. The real benefit comes from the low pressure area created by the heated air at the rear. That's the secret

BB

Old 08-06-2004, 06:09 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
LMAO -

Would silver duct tape work? Better match for my PS/PS '02 MCS

Old 08-07-2004, 09:24 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
I took mine '03 MCS into the dealer because the noise was driving me crazy. They actually replaced my latch and the noise has not returned yet.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Noise in the boot