Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Euro parcel shelf and center console tray install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro parcel shelf and center console tray install

Hey all,

I just finished installing my new center console tray (now at MINI of Sterling, while supplies last!) and newly modified Euro parcel shelf. Putting in an extra 12v power outlet (aka cigarette lighter) was ridiculously easy, much easier than I would have thought! If anyone is interested in a how-to guide, I'd be happy to type one up.

I recommend the parcel shelf to anyone who puts anything in their MINI! Since originally installing it a couple of months ago, I now couldn't imagine not having it. Plus, with the extra 12v outlet, it's a lot easier keeping my Ipod powered while recharging my phone!

Anyway, pics are here if interested!

-Paul!

Last edited by Paul!; 08-11-2004 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Can't type correctly, too sleepy!
Old 08-11-2004, 07:24 PM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please do a write up/how-to! I have been wanting to install a parcel shelf and a extra 12v for a while now. I know where to find the how-to for the shelf but please inform me on how you taped into the power supply. Thanks :smile:

Old 08-12-2004, 05:48 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I used one of these add-a-circuit devices, no soldiering or splicing needed.http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=071-580

Plugged it in to slot 25 off the top of my head (the car's not here for me to check it right now). I picked up the 12V outlet from West Marine, but you could probably get it cheaper elsewhere. I'm **** and wanted a cap for the outlet and I knew the boat store would have them... Run the red wire from the add-a-circuit to one lead on the outlet, then a second wire from the other lead on the outlet to ground...

The hardest part for me was securing the shelf so that I could drill the hole for the outlet, and since I didn't have a large enough auger bit, reaming out the hole to make it big enough. Even still the entire job took about 40 minutes.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:50 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
cool!

I have the euro parcel shelf and wonder why it is not standard in all cars...I just need the 12v for my phone!

and may I ask, where did you get the center console tray?

Old 08-12-2004, 07:28 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
Hey paul I live up here in nova, and I'm ordering a parcel shelf and aux input after friday (payday) might it be possible to get a helping hand putting together this setup?

Old 08-12-2004, 09:52 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZAKdog
I have the euro parcel shelf and wonder why it is not standard in all cars...
There was some talk about this many months ago. The theory is that NHTSA or DOT requires the knee bolster...

Old 08-12-2004, 11:34 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
your confusing the parcel shelf to th ecubby hole that was on a very limited numebr of 2002 minis in this country and had them remove... It had to do witha safety concern of some sort, the parcel shelf isn't sold here becasue they don't make a parcel self for teh RIGHT side of the car in britain the shelf was an option instead of a glove compartment, hence beinging on the left.. it jsut so happen to also fits underneath a steering wheel....

Old 08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Sorry, chollomo that's not right.

If you look at the parcel shelf, it is actually designed to go under the steering wheel. The assembly is molded at the top to fit around the steering column. If it was for the area the the glovebox would normally fit into, it wouldn't need that molded curve as there would be nothing to obstruct it. The airbag assembly isn't that large...

Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
US law is pretty stringent on safety features of a car, and the parcel shelf did not pass the requirements for a knee bolster.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!
Hey all,

I just finished installing my new center console tray (now at MINI of Sterling, while supplies last!) and newly modified Euro parcel shelf. Putting in an extra 12v power outlet (aka cigarette lighter) was ridiculously easy, much easier than I would have thought! If anyone is interested in a how-to guide, I'd be happy to type one up.

I recommend the parcel shelf to anyone who puts anything in their MINI! Since originally installing it a couple of months ago, I now couldn't imagine not having it. Plus, with the extra 12v outlet, it's a lot easier keeping my Ipod powered while recharging my phone!

-Paul!
Where did you get the "Center Console Tray"?

Old 08-12-2004, 12:02 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
okay, so the DOT doesn't allow it on standard specs...thank goodness you can still get it

where did you get the center console? It looks like an official MINI product

Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
okay, so the DOT doesn't allow it on standard specs...thank goodness you can still get it

where did you get the center console? It looks like an official MINI product
Isn't that center console the new utility box w/ rubber insert that's std on the 2005 MINI? It looks like the pics I saw at Motoringfile site.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:18 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
That center console is a Mini part. I talked to our dealer yesterday, they didn't have any in stock but have part numbers and can order it. It's two pieces - the tray, and a piece that sits on the bottom of the tray. The price they gave me was aroung $25 for both.

Classic MINI can probably get it for you if you want to have it shipped.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
www.motoringfile.com has how-tos on both the parcel shelf and the aux input. Both are _very_ easy to install.

http://motoringfile.com/howto/

Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by early_apex
That center console is a Mini part. I talked to our dealer yesterday, they didn't have any in stock but have part numbers and can order it. It's two pieces - the tray, and a piece that sits on the bottom of the tray. The price they gave me was aroung $25 for both.

Classic MINI can probably get it for you if you want to have it shipped.
Actually, Classic is selling it for around $15 for both.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:40 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. I can't wait to pick mine up at Sterling tomorrow.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
npartist,

As mbabischkin suggested, I used a Littelfuse (how it's actually spelled) Add-A-Circuit. I removed the fuse for the 12v outlet/cig lighter, plugged in the Add-A-Circuit, and then used that lead for the 12v outlet. I attached the ground to a random bolt underneath the steering column. I used a Victor brand Power Outlet (model V5350) for the outlet. Both the outlet and Add-A-Circuit are available at AutoZone for about $10 total. Oh, and the outlet includes a cover. I used a 7/8" wood boring bit for the hole. The outlet fit exactly. You can get the wood boring bits at Walmart (made by Black & Decker) on the cheap.

ZAKDog & Aquasar,

The Center Console Tray (aka Utility Box) is an official MINI part for 2005 MINI's. It just so happens though that this part can be retrofitted to all MINI's! The part numbers are (thanks to MotoringFile for the info):

Utility Box: 51-16-7-121-738
Rubber Insert: 51-16-7-125-693

If you're lucky, your local MINI parts store might have some in. If not, you can place a special order for them. The parts came to $25 and change. To install the tray, I used instructions found here. The only difficulty I had is you really got to give the center console cover a good yank (harder than I would have thought) in order to get the inch clearance in order to remove the downtubes. Some say that they installed the tray without removing the downtubes, but they're better people than I!

-Paul!

Old 08-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chollomo
Hey paul I live up here in nova, and I'm ordering a parcel shelf and aux input after friday (payday) might it be possible to get a helping hand putting together this setup?
Sure! I work for food and beer! Send me an email or PM and we can set something up!

-Paul!

Old 08-18-2004, 01:04 PM
2005LY
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by iamwiz82
US law is pretty stringent on safety features of a car, and the parcel shelf did not pass the requirements for a knee bolster.
So what does that mean, really? Is it going to cause us to lose our legs if we ram something straight on?

BTW, I'm assuming the Parcel Shelf fits nicely in the 05's. Could someone verify this before I order one?

Old 08-18-2004, 01:12 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2005LY
So what does that mean, really? Is it going to cause us to lose our legs if we ram something straight on?
It means the safety weenie who was walking behind the test car chanting "Be Careful, Be Careful, Be Careful..." got hurt when the car hit something!

In reality I'm assuming that the NHTSA doesn't believe that adequate protection is afforded to the driver without a knee bolster in the event of an accident. However, I would also bet that it's never been tested. Also for those of us with the shelf, or considering puruchasing a shelf, we don't have to worry about those pesky NHTSA or NTSB inspectors coming around and ripping them out of our cars!!!

Old 08-18-2004, 01:25 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
still no power

not in the car, but at home...I have been checking this site whilst at work, I seem to have missed this in a few days....our power is still out from the hurricane

Paul, thanks for all the info! I am awaiting my K&N filter for the HAI mod and will have to rationalize these new interior mods with my current Charley expenses

Old 08-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
not in the car, but at home...I have been checking this site whilst at work, I seem to have missed this in a few days....our power is still out from the hurricane

Paul, thanks for all the info! I am awaiting my K&N filter for the HAI mod and will have to rationalize these new interior mods with my current Charley expenses

That sucks about your power! Hopefully soon...

And I know what you're saying about mods... I'm right now 'rationalizing' my need for food vs. my need for chrome interior bits!

Good luck to ya!

-Paul!

Old 08-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Frisco
2nd Gear
Your tray.

I am interested in one.

Originally Posted by Paul!
Hey all,

-Paul!

Old 08-19-2004, 07:41 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005LY
Keep in mind that US crash test standards are generally based on an unbelted occupant. As they say, proper use of seat belts "greatly reduces the risk of injury."

Old 08-19-2004, 09:06 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Thanks for the pics Paul!

I'm having the Euro Shelf and an aux input added to my car mid next week. I've been thinking about adding the 12v outlet as well for the exact reason you noted - keeping both my iPod and cell charged at the same time. :smile: I just upgraded to the 4th gen iPod and I'm looking forward to having it in the car!

-Stefanie

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Euro parcel shelf and center console tray install