Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Knightrider Light!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 02:53 PM
joshua
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knightrider Light!

looking for an led light that will fit in the scoop hole of the bonnet.
knightrider style. anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-12-2004, 02:57 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make your own? :smile:

http://www.voti.nl/kitt-1/

Old 08-12-2004, 02:59 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Old 08-16-2004, 06:19 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
Make your own? :smile:

http://www.voti.nl/kitt-1/
I've been looking for one and this one is the most versatile that I've seen, and cheep to boot. Do we know anyone that has this, possibly any videos?

Old 08-16-2004, 06:34 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kitt would be so proud of you , do post your video after the project is complete

In all seriousness, many states have rules and regs against red lights facing forward as these are reserved for emergency vehicles. Good luck

Old 08-16-2004, 10:34 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TwoMINIs is right. Pretty much everywhere you go, it'll be illegal. Depends if you consider that to be much or any of an issue. I think it's both red and blue lights that are illegal in front of your car.
There's a cool factor there to some degree. I'm not totally against it.
Off topic a bit here, KITT and Magnum P.I's Ferrari were in an auction a little while back. They were thinking KITT would go for somewhere around $30-$50K and Magnum's Ferrari to be around $60-$80K. Anyone know what they went for?
Cheers,

Old 08-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Beat ya to it! See my sig!

Ok, well my sig is just a joke I did, but I would love to see someone do it for real!

Old 08-17-2004, 06:21 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
You want to be KITT you can't handle the KITT_> check this out
http://www.markscustomkits.com/index.shtml

I was actully thinking about getting a turn key KITT awhile ago, but the fincial gods were not on my side, damn I'm a dork. These are the BEST on the market as far as relicas go, and so many thign actually work on the car, it's insane. if you want a light bar this is the best one out there, of course it's not made by mini, but If you have the money you shoudl have a custom CF hood built with a space for a full size one below the scoop.. Yuo could also make it a Yellow light and be evil KITT.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:40 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Yeah Mark's Custom is the one who restored the real thing and made it fully functional. He sells the "real thing" light bar...for $450.

Course I could always build that KITT kit with white LEDs...then there'd be nothing illegal. Course I would never use it on the road. Just as a joke at mini meets. Using that in public, well I would laugh and point at myself, then submit it to ricecop. :D

Old 08-17-2004, 07:02 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were going to do a Kitt bar, should it not be as wide as the hood scoop? That kit looks only a couple of inches wide.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:10 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Beat ya to it! See my sig!

Ok, well my sig is just a joke I did, but I would love to see someone do it for real!
you knew someone would

Old 08-17-2004, 07:31 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI-MadMan
TwoMINIs is right. Pretty much everywhere you go, it'll be illegal. Depends if you consider that to be much or any of an issue. I think it's both red and blue lights that are illegal in front of your car.
There's a cool factor there to some degree. I'm not totally against it.
Off topic a bit here, KITT and Magnum P.I's Ferrari were in an auction a little while back. They were thinking KITT would go for somewhere around $30-$50K and Magnum's Ferrari to be around $60-$80K. Anyone know what they went for?
Cheers,
I would think that KITT would sell for a lot less, maybe in the $20-$30K range, because most studio cars look like junk and require a lot of work, usually are not driveable and are usually trashed on the inside and out. Also for large modified cars such as KITT, you would rarely have an entirely complete car. Some would be really well done internally but couldn't drive, and these were for inside shots. Some had a great exterior but a stock interior and these may have been for exterior shots.

As far as Magnum's Ferrari, the price sounds about right. Although it depended on which year of car. He started with a carberated 308 and ended up the last season with a Fuel Injected 328. Depending on condition these prices may be about right. But again there were quite a few cars for the show, so the bidding wouldn't have been for an exclusive car, since there were others available. Now bidding for Robin's Nest would have been cool. Hmmmmm....

Old 08-17-2004, 09:26 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
If you were going to do a Kitt bar, should it not be as wide as the hood scoop? That kit looks only a couple of inches wide.
I would mount the kit inside, then run ribbon cable to the front, and make my own LED-mount. Of course this is all speculation.

I secretly wanted to do this back when I was getting my car but I saw yucca's sig and figured it had already been done. But after looking at the scoop mount it kind of doesn't have a good spot to place them. Then I got my car and forgot all about it. But for $17 this kit is worth it, even if it just ends up on my desk. And I'm a fan of anything PIC-based.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:05 PM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
once the interkooler air scoop is all blocked up with LED lights
how are you planing on getting air flow to the interkooler????

Old 08-17-2004, 01:12 PM
chollomo
4th Gear
goto that site listed above, they actually re-did a tv kitt car and they talk about a mess of what the original was, but what they do is top=notch quality and even working parts, they have a great site.