Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Aerokit Grill Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:04 PM
FloridaChris
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerokit Grill Paint Question

I have a factory prepainted BRG Aerokit on order from Brian at Classic. I intend to do the install myself. On page six of the official Mini Installation Instructions it states and I quote:

"To achieve an even more sporty appearance of the aerodynamic package we recommend that you paint the areas marked in grey in the body color"

In the attached diagram of the upper and middle black grills, the marked "grey" areas are the grill frame outline. Has anyone seen this painted? Every Aerokit grill photo or car I have seen has the entire grill left black. I would be interested in opinions or a photo of a grill frame painted body color as recommended in the installation instructions. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2004, 08:17 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FloridaChris
I have a factory prepainted BRG Aerokit on order from Brian at Classic. I intend to do the install myself. On page six of the official Mini Installation Instructions it states and I quote:

"To achieve an even more sporty appearance of the aerodynamic package we recommend that you paint the areas marked in grey in the body color"

In the attached diagram of the upper and middle black grills, the marked "grey" areas are the grill frame outline. Has anyone seen this painted? Every Aerokit grill photo or car I have seen has the entire grill left black. I would be interested in opinions or a photo of a grill frame painted body color as recommended in the installation instructions. Thanks!
moi

i have seen the factory grille frame painted body color... it looks good, granted it was on a electric blue so i got no idea what on a brg would look like

a strong contrast is what will make it sporty.. so i think brg might not be such a good idea since even with the painted ouside edge it's hard to notice the difference

Old 08-21-2004, 08:45 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive seen that done. It does look different, but sportier?... naww.

It looks more luxurious if anything.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Does anyone have pics cause my car is going in for aero kit with painted arches and well if it looks nice the outter portion of hte aero kit....

Old 08-22-2004, 07:44 AM
coopersport02
2nd Gear
Pics

I have seen pictures of this and I like the look. I will attach a couple that I found in previous posts to this forum. What color is your car? Let me know if you decide to do it.

Old 08-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
oooOOOOoooooo THANS!!!!

Old 10-01-2004, 10:15 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
How much is a prepainted aero Kit. I like the idea of installing it myself without needing a paint shops help or having to leave my car anywhere. I have seen the aero grill painted around the edge and I think it is much more sporty all black. so I wouldn't do it. Good luck with it and please post pictures when your done.

Old 10-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Mine can be seen through out this post

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=30862

Old 10-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Eric'smini
4th Gear
I realize that you posted your question some time ago but I just joined today so sorry for the delayed answer. I have the factory aero kit and I painted the frame around the grills my body color (electric blue) and, in my opinion, it made all the difference. It really integrates the grill with the body and it looks great. However, the bodyshop that did the work said that it was very difficult to paint as they had a hard time getting the paint to stick to it. I like the look much better than leaving them black but I find that few people do it. Which is good because it will make your car more unique! Good luck if you decide to do it.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:55 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>had a hard time getting the paint to stick to it.

Yah, you need to use 400grit sandpaper and spray some adhesion promoter prior to the primer. Then it will stick pretty well. :smile:

Old 10-07-2004, 03:54 PM
buzzy
3rd Gear
I'm going to order my Aero Kit tomorrow from Classic. I think i'm going to keep the standard grill in like the one in this picture: