Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painting your intercooler plastic frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004 | 07:38 PM
MINI-MadMan
|
6th Gear
Painting your intercooler plastic frame

Seen pics of members who painted their plastic intercooler frame. Was wondering if maybe you're using a heat resistant paint or not. Didn't want to jump right into doing this and use the wrong paint resulting in a BBQ MINI. I have some Krylon paint at home here, which is known quite well to have a serious chemical bond to plastic. But.....it's not high-heat rated. But the hood scoop does cool that area. I was just curious to know if you all were using special paint and clear coat with your applications. Thanx in advance for any assistance.

Cheers,

Old 08-23-2004 | 09:45 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
It would be safer to use a heat resistant paint with primer. There is some engine heat and the cover sits on the intercooler in the engine compartment.

Normal paint might not hold up if things get very hot.

I used duplicolor metallic heat resistant spray paint and that worked OK but I did not use a clear coat so the finish was a little dull compared to the OEM stock finish.

Old 08-25-2004 | 07:46 PM
MINI-MadMan
|
6th Gear
Thanx for your thoughts there Minihune. I'm no paint expert. May seem kinda obvious, but I thought that I'd ask anyway.
Cheers,

Old 09-06-2004 | 09:51 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
ok, i have learned it in the hard way.

i painted, and i use the heat resistant paint, and i put a clear coating.
next thing i know, the foam piece on the bonnet burt the clear coating.
now i have a ugly burned surround on the IC cover.
too lazy to do it again!
anyone has better opinion?

Old 09-06-2004 | 10:30 PM
Audioman
4th Gear
I painted mine using hobby paint made for the lexan bodies of RC cars. I think it's called Pactra and comes in a spray can.
Heat doesn't seem to be an issue, but the foam gasket around the scoop rubs when the bonnet is closed leaving black marks. They come off with a bit of water and rubbing.

I've been meaning to clearcote to get some shine and to see if it helps with the rub marks.

Old 09-06-2004 | 10:39 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
That sounds like a great idea with the hobby paint. I thought that someone made a IC cover... Hmm, where did I see that?

Old 09-07-2004 | 12:00 AM
minihune
I have two painted IC covers-

One I did myself using duplicolor Blue metallic heat resistant paint on primer with no clear coat. Not as shiny but does OK with the heat and not bothered by any discoloration or burning.

One I had painted professionally with Indi Blue and clearcoat just like factory painting and that also works well, resists heat and not bothered by any discoloration. It is shiny like the exterior body is.

The plastic IC cover part is not that expensive- about $28? or so. Try painting it again if you like. You can sand down the ruined area if the plastic is not too far gone and repaint.

Old 09-07-2004 | 03:06 PM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
One I had painted professionally with Indi Blue and clearcoat just like factory painting and that also works well, resists heat and not bothered by any discoloration. It is shiny like the exterior body is.
How much did it cost you to have it professionally painted....If you don't mind me asking...

Old 09-07-2004 | 08:29 PM
CyebrOgre
3rd Gear
I would be interested in the cost as well. Also, I am thinking about getting the rings painted in the car...Speedometer, Tach, Ect.

Old 09-07-2004 | 09:35 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
i painted mine silver just using normal paint baught at the local part store then clear coated it, then after it dried for a while i used some wax now the little black mark that showes up after a few hundred miles of driving literally whipes away whith my finger so when hood is up its always shiney and clean, as long as i keep a rag in the boot

Old 09-07-2004 | 11:44 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by Ethereal
How much did it cost you to have it professionally painted....If you don't mind me asking...
Sorry, I don't know the price because a friend had it painted for me but I think if it is an add on piece when wheel arches or other parts are painted then it should not be that much. Some owners have the dash painted and that isn't too costly for 5 pieces vs the IC cover is only one piece. The materials are not bad just the time it takes to paint it.

The IC cover that I painted myself I spent about $12 on paint and about one day to sand, mask, prime, paint and hand paint the "S" with silver and red enamel by brush.

So if you know someone doing a body kit in your color then add the IC cover at the same time and it might be $25 more (??). It's negotiable.

Old 09-08-2004 | 01:55 PM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
Ok. Thanks alot...i didn't think it could cost more than maybe 40 bucks...I must say it looks really nice under the bonnet

Old 03-07-2005 | 10:20 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Minihune can you post pics of yours? I think the RC paint is a great idea i have done a few things under the hood too, clear coat helps keep it shiny

Old 03-08-2005 | 12:33 AM
5th Gear
I may be able to paint these for people willing to ship them to california. I do touch-up paint and would be able to match the body color, or just about any other color. I use ppg automotive base coat/ clear coat, so let me try it on one of my spares to make sure it can handle the heat. PM me if you are interested.

Old 03-08-2005 | 09:23 AM
minihune
Pictures already in past thread

Originally Posted by IrishCooper
Minihune can you post pics of yours? I think the RC paint is a great idea i have done a few things under the hood too, clear coat helps keep it shiny
IrishCooper,
See
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...+blue+metallic
Post #3 is my own spray painted cover and hand painted "S"
Post #13 is the OEM indi blue professionally painted cover and keychain "S" glued on.
Note the two covers are of slightly different design (support ribs)

Mailing the cover is easy- it's light.
If the covers are of the same color and painted all one color it's easy and cheap to do a batch. If you want it two tone then you have to mask it. See the thread I linked to for examples of the various ways to do two tone painting of the cover- looks good both ways. Maybe paint the air intake snorkel too. It's all plastic, just yank it out once you get the airbox out.

Old 03-08-2005 | 09:43 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I did mine at my friends body shop using PPG Autocolor. We prepped the cover with plastic primer and then shot 3 coats of Cool Blue and three coats of PPG 3000 clear. It took a couple of hours but it was well worth it. I just drove from Olympia to Vegas and back fir AMVIV. No discoloring or burning, looks really good. For the time, paint mixing to a paint chip or color code and the prep my buddy says he could do them for $100.00 each if he did a few the same color it would be a little less.

Old 03-08-2005 | 10:09 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
While we're on the subject, what are you guys using for the clear-coating? (assuming no access to body shop).

Thanks,
Tatt